Name These Machine Heads

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Can anyone tell me who made these tuners? I've never seen these on a Guild. Are they origional or a modification?

West

Hello West,

These tuners were made in Japan. They're unusual on flat tops but they are quite common on Guild solid bodies from the '80s. The usual machineheads on a D-16 would be Grover RotoMatics, but it looks like Guild wanted to save a couple of bucks by using these cheaper heads.
If they were replaced you should be able to see the original holes from the Grover RotoMatics, so these are more than likely original on this guitar.
Are you thinking of bidding on this one?

By the way, the guitar is from 1986 and not from 1983-84 as stated in the auction.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hello Hans,

Thanks a bunch for the information. I was curious more than anything. As far a bidding, heck I don't know, I would definately pay $284 for it though....maybe a little more. According to the seller, it's flawless.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hans,

By the way, I wouldn't have to ask these questions if I had a Guild Guitar Book Volume II. Anyone have any idea when it might be published :?: :wink:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: :) Sorry Coastamizer,

A little slow.................that's good, just left that one wide open didn't I?

West

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another question for Hans...

Hans... another question about machine heads. My wife's '78 D35 (SN 186610) has Grover machine heads (individual, encased)... unlike my '72 D35 and '74 D25M that have the same unlabeled 3 in-line heads as I see on many of the vintage "low-end" Guilds of this era.

However, the headstock on her '78 instrument appears to be drilled for the 3 in-line heads... the holes are there, but there is no evidence they have ever had screws in them, and there are no marks to the finish that would indicate any other machine heads were ever installed. I have always assumed that the Grovers were original equipment, and that this guitar (or at least neck/headstock) might have been made in a transition period between the 3 in-line machine heads and Grovers. Does this sound plausible to you? Thanks,
Dave

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: Another question for Hans...

GardMan said:
Hans... another question about machine heads. My wife's '78 D35 (SN 186610) has Grover machine heads (individual, encased)... unlike my '72 D35 and '74 D25M that have the same unlabeled 3 in-line heads as I see on many of the vintage "low-end" Guilds of this era.

However, the headstock on her '78 instrument appears to be drilled for the 3 in-line heads... the holes are there, but there is no evidence they have ever had screws in them, and there are no marks to the finish that would indicate any other machine heads were ever installed. I have always assumed that the Grovers were original equipment, and that this guitar (or at least neck/headstock) might have been made in a transition period between the 3 in-line machine heads and Grovers. Does this sound plausible to you? Thanks,
Dave

Hello GardMan,

Sometimes it's really hard to say whether something is original or modified at a later date. They did some weird stuff at Guild over the years. In 1978 the standard machineheads on a D-35 were the usual 3-on-a-plate jobs. Grover RotoMatics were not the standard machineheads for the higher grade instruments; by that time they would have been Schaller M-6 machines. So if somebody wanted an upgrade they probably would have gotten the Schallers.
So, my first reaction would be that the Grovers were probably added at a later date. Can you show me a clear photo of the back of the headstock, so I can see for myself?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Hans.
Interestingly, when shooting some pics to send you of my wife's D35, the oblique angle of the close-up flash (boy its hard getting good shots w/o reflections!) revealed a trace of finish marking where the old 3 in-line machines had been attached on one side of the head. You still can't see it on the other side. The flash also revealed what appear to evidence of the marks being buffed out. Looks like the Grovers were an upgrade at some point... from the faintness of the markings in the varnish, I would think it was fairly early in the life of the instrument. I bought the guitar second-hand for my wife in '86... so I know it was before then. If you are interested, I can still send the pics. But, I think I have satisfied my curiousity... If I ever see a set of the in-line machines on eBay, I might pick them up to "restore" the instrument to its original specs... but I am more a player than collector, so it isn't a priority.
Thanks again, Dave