Insurance for the guitars

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I posted about this once before, but here goes again anyway:

I'd like to encourage everyone to check into their insurance coverage insofar as it applies to your precious Guilds. I was surprised to find out under exactly how few circumstances they would be covered. In my car? No. At a gig? No. Some drunk sat on it at my birthday party? NO.

In short, you need to get a rider on your homeowner's policy that covers your guitar(s) 24/7, anywhere, under any circumstances. And I thought the cost was ridiculously cheap compared to the peace of mind it gives me, only a few $ per $thousand of coverage. Now my insurance agent has serial #'s, replacement value, photos, etc. If I lose any of my Guilds, heaven forbid, I will be shopping for a vintage replacement with my insurance money :D

ya know, ya just gotta get your priorities straight 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thank you Dred. My wife and I were just discussing that. Actually we were wondering if our homeowners covers that. I'll call my agent.

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I had to take photos, descriptions, and price info to my agent in order to get complete coverage.

I've been told it is a good idea to keep pictures of all your valuables.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dred, I'd recommend spending some time reading the fine print to make sure your gits are covered playing professionally.

Special coverage on musical instruments & other valuables is called "Scheduled Personal Property", usually fairly inexpensive; 1.5% to maybe 5% of value annually depending on what it is. Providing coverage for virtually all losses. Weather, dropping, exploding in an overheated trunk, nail polish spills, mysterious disappearance, are common covered losses.

I have the coverage on my Gits, several firearms, some jewelry & art.

Most mainstream insurance companies policies are amazingly similar with subtle differences from state to state. & most I have experienced exclude professional use

Your circumstances may very well be different but I'd check it. Usually it's a clause, not easy to find if you don't know what you are looking for, one or two short sentences in legaleese that negates all the previous 17 paragraphs in the contract if the loss is related to pro use.

When extended to professional use the coverage, if available, is often several times more expensive.

P
Pics are a good idea especially for the strange folks that own many instruments. Most average folks don't own one instrument let alone half a dozen or more. Pics & documents stored in a zip lock bag in the freezer often survive a serious fire . Images stored on the hard drive aren't much help because the thieves take the computer along with everything else.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
boy, they'd have a hard time proving I was being professional :lol:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Jeff, you should update your signature to include the D5CE :D by the way, how's it treatin' ya?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, you should update your signature to include the D5CE by the way, how's it treatin' ya?

I would update the signature cept I'd have to go in a figure it out again. And of course now I'd have to get the a suitable pic included. Lot of mental effort. Been kinda busy. :wink:

The DC 5 got waylaid by the DV72 & the high strung F20 a few days
back. It still resonates while I'm playing the others so it hasn't really been neglected. All three of them are nice 'n lively. Doesn't take long to find a sweet guitar around here.

I am feeling sorry for the old classic, haven't picked it up in weeks. Weather changed & the A string broke hanging on the wall.