Guild Thunderstar questions

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi folks,

I'm usually skulking about in the archtop forum, and lately I'm on the hunt for a little tube amp with reverb and tremelo or vibrato. I'm kind of interested in a Thunder I Reverb or a Guild Thunderstar, the amp with the isolated preamp, power amp, and speaker.

Does anyone here have one or know about them? Lots of info on the net about the Thunder I, but not much available about the Thunderstar.
-- How many watts?
-- Tube configuration?
-- Tonal qualities?
-- General info?

Thanks,
JP

dklsplace

Reaction score
Seems he travels regularly......ah, yet another member from PA. Think I'll email him.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Seems he travels regularly......ah, yet another member from PA. Think I'll email him.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Is Matsickma the in-the-know Guild amp guy?

I saw an eBay listing for a Thunderstar guitar amp which I had never heard of before. The Thunderbass amps seem to pop up now and then, but I can't seem to find any info about the Thunderstar amps. Too late anyways, 'cuz the listing's long gone. I continue my search for a reasonably priced Guild Thunder I Reverb.

Speaking of Guild guys, I'm surprised that The Guild Guy - Jay Pilzer of New Hope - hasn't jumped onto this forum, or has he?

P.S. No problem about the posting, John. This thread didn't seem to invoke many postings anyways.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Is Matsickma the in-the-know Guild amp guy?

I saw an eBay listing for a Thunderstar guitar amp which I had never heard of before. The Thunderbass amps seem to pop up now and then, but I can't seem to find any info about the Thunderstar amps. Too late anyways, 'cuz the listing's long gone. I continue my search for a reasonably priced Guild Thunder I Reverb.

Speaking of Guild guys, I'm surprised that The Guild Guy - Jay Pilzer of New Hope - hasn't jumped onto this forum, or has he?

P.S. No problem about the posting, John. This thread didn't seem to invoke many postings anyways.

dklsplace

Reaction score
jp, yes, the other jp is already a member here & was of the old forum, but doesn't participate much.

matsickma has a wealth of knowledge & first hand experience with a number of these old Guild amps. I emailed, but haven't received a response. Hope everything's ok!

dklsplace

Reaction score
jp, yes, the other jp is already a member here & was of the old forum, but doesn't participate much.

matsickma has a wealth of knowledge & first hand experience with a number of these old Guild amps. I emailed, but haven't received a response. Hope everything's ok!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ahh. The other JP has been really helpful in the past and answered questions about my archtops.

Yes, I hope everything's ok!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ahh. The other JP has been really helpful in the past and answered questions about my archtops.

Yes, I hope everything's ok!

ThunderCat

Reaction score
Thunderstar Bass

Hi, I just picked up an old Guild Thunderstar Bass amp. I would like to find out some more information about it too. It has a bad hum and doesnt have much power. There is a picture of it in this link.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/tstar.htm

The description says solid state but mine has a 5U4GB tube rectifier? in it.

ThunderCat

Reaction score
Thunderstar Bass

Hi, I just picked up an old Guild Thunderstar Bass amp. I would like to find out some more information about it too. It has a bad hum and doesnt have much power. There is a picture of it in this link.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/tstar.htm

The description says solid state but mine has a 5U4GB tube rectifier? in it.

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thunderstar help needed

Well I picked up one of these.. and it needs to go to the my amp tech. Which means I need a schematic. I was hoping that the Superstar schematic would work but having talked to Jay Pilzer they appear to not be the same despite having the same control panel and very similar layouts.

Hopefully Matsickma will read this.. I seem to remember him telling me that this was his favorite guild amp.

sfiii Aka hgault

Howard

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi SF111 (Howard),

We'll I'm on travel to NH this week and have a little more free time than normal. I don't think I have a ThunderStar Bass (TSB) schematic but when I get home I'll check. There are a lot of similarities between the Thunderbass (TB) and TSB so an amp tech may be able to get enough info from the TB schematic to help him out.

I like the flexibility of the TSB amp having the PREAMP OUT/PWR AMP IN feature. The TSB amp uses 6L6 finals which IMHO sound better for guitar than the 8417's used in the Thunderbass amp and early model Quantum amps.

M

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
Matsickma...

I'm really looking for the Thunderstar guitar amp schematic. a 1 x12 inclosed speaker with a power amp and reverb tank mounted out side of the pre amp section. This was ebay auction 214724510002781

Thanks

Howard

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
Amp Schematics found

I found the schematic for my Thunderstar at Musicpart.com for $15. They also had the Quantum Bass Schematic.

So, in the next month my amp will be taken to my local amp tech (Pianos N Stuff in Blawnox, PA). I will update this thread when I get the amp back.