ID'ing a weird old archtop

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Smiert,

That guitar was on eBay a little over a year ago. I believe there was a thread about it on this forum. It's not a Guild!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
Yup, that's what I thought, too -- and it looks like someone else has chimed in and confirmed it.

Hey, Billy, I think I'm finally going to get that X-440 in for a refret. It still plays well, but it's getting to the point that I can't get under the strings enough for twangy bends down low. I love it, so it's worth it in any case.

I think while I'm at it, I'll switch over to one of the newer style Guild-spec Bigsby bridges that is compensated for a plain G. I've got one sitting around waiting for it (might use a rosewood base, too -- haven't decided).

billydlight

Reaction score
Glad to hear your having so much fun with her. Hey if you want I'll take that old bridge off your hands. I always like to have a few around. Boy, I can't believe how much dough that guy wants for that X175S over at lucchesi! I think the X440 is much cooler! Have you recorded at all? Love to hear what that X440 sounds like in your hands.

-B

billydlight

Reaction score
Glad to hear your having so much fun with her. Hey if you want I'll take that old bridge off your hands. I always like to have a few around. Boy, I can't believe how much dough that guy wants for that X175S over at lucchesi! I think the X440 is much cooler! Have you recorded at all? Love to hear what that X440 sounds like in your hands.

-B

dklsplace

Reaction score
I can't believe how much dough that guy wants for that X175S over at lucchesi!

I contacted him awhile back about an Aristocrat & we corresponded about Guilds in general. He said that X-175S was his favorite guitar in the shop. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get his price for it.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I can't believe how much dough that guy wants for that X175S over at lucchesi!

I contacted him awhile back about an Aristocrat & we corresponded about Guilds in general. He said that X-175S was his favorite guitar in the shop. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get his price for it.

Reaction score
Yup, I've been watching that one for a long time -- it is a beauty. It's VERY similar to the X-440 I got from Billy a year or two ago. I like the clean looks of the single tone/volume knobs, but it's not as useful. 95% of the time, I'm in the middle position, and adjust the tone with the volumes. I like having a little neck mixed in with the bridge, and vice versa.

It's really gorgeous, though. As prices keep going up, it will get more and more tempting.

He did have some nice Aristocrats a while back. I was too late to snag the blonde refin that he had for $1200 -- probably the last one at that price I'll ever see.

Billy -- I should hold onto that bridge in case I want to go back. It's worth having an unwound G bridge around though -- if you're interested, Elderly carries them. One upside is that they will fit the base of the rosewood bridgees they sell (Stew-Mac), which is a potentially useful combination, too.

No recordings of the X-440 right now, but I really should get around to making some. I like it a lot.

Reaction score
Yup, I've been watching that one for a long time -- it is a beauty. It's VERY similar to the X-440 I got from Billy a year or two ago. I like the clean looks of the single tone/volume knobs, but it's not as useful. 95% of the time, I'm in the middle position, and adjust the tone with the volumes. I like having a little neck mixed in with the bridge, and vice versa.

It's really gorgeous, though. As prices keep going up, it will get more and more tempting.

He did have some nice Aristocrats a while back. I was too late to snag the blonde refin that he had for $1200 -- probably the last one at that price I'll ever see.

Billy -- I should hold onto that bridge in case I want to go back. It's worth having an unwound G bridge around though -- if you're interested, Elderly carries them. One upside is that they will fit the base of the rosewood bridgees they sell (Stew-Mac), which is a potentially useful combination, too.

No recordings of the X-440 right now, but I really should get around to making some. I like it a lot.

dklsplace

Reaction score

That's exactly the one I was after :cry:

dklsplace

Reaction score

That's exactly the one I was after :cry: