New Blues 90 Owner

codeorama

Reaction score
I already had a Guild acoustic and loved it. So this weekend, I had the opportunity to try a Blues 90 and it blew me away.
I already own a Les Paul Custom (with WCR pick ups) and a Fender EJ strat. I have wanted a P 90 equipped guitar.
This one really rocks.

I'd like to know more about them.
What type of finish do they have (nitro? Poly?)
What are the tone chambers like (anyone have any pics)
Where was this one made, what year?

Any other info would be greatly apprecicated....

The serial number is CL 002398

[IMG:600:800]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/codeorama/P1010001.jpg[/img]

Thank you in advance.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
codeorama said:

Hello codeorama,

The finish is Poly.

This is what the chambers look like:

[img:635:528]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/BluesbirdChambers_2.jpg[/img]

And the guitar was made in Westerly during the year 2000

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Codeorama,
Here is another view of the chambers.

[img:400:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p88039f0a254010e898894554a8df3a1a/ef688201.jpg[/img]

That's a beauty, here is mine.

[img:300:400]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/p8c8e7c5d866204fc1710027b07cd2488/efa7c56d.jpg[/img]

codeorama

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
codeorama said:

Hello codeorama,

The finish is Poly.

This is what the chambers look like:

[img:635:528]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/BluesbirdChambers_2.jpg[/img]

And the guitar was made in Westerly during the year 2000

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

WOW... Thanks, that's some great information, I really appreciate it...!!
Great site as well.

codeorama

Reaction score
Mr. P ~ said:
Codeorama,
Here is another view of the chambers.

[img:400:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p88039f0a254010e898894554a8df3a1a/ef688201.jpg[/img]

That's a beauty, here is mine.

[img:300:400]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/p8c8e7c5d866204fc1710027b07cd2488/efa7c56d.jpg[/img]

Thank you, that's really cool.
I love your natural finish BB. I think natural finishes are my favorite of all the transparent tops.

Very cool

codeorama

Reaction score
One last question...
Were the pearl dots considered an upgrade or downgrade compared to the block inlays?
Just curious, I have no intention of selling this tone monster.

Thanks again.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pearl dots

codeorama said:
Were the pearl dots considered an upgrade or downgrade compared to the block inlays?

Hello again codeorama,

To me it was neither an upgrade or a downgrade. I personally like the look of dot inlays! The Blues 90 was a similar guitar with slighty less fancy ornamentation that listed for $ 200.00 less.
You had to pay a little more for the humbuckers and the bound neck with the block inlays.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

codeorama

Reaction score
Re: Pearl dots

hansmoust said:
codeorama said:

Hello again codeorama,

To me it was neither an upgrade or a downgrade. I personally like the look of dot inlays! The Blues 90 was a similar guitar with slighty less fancy ornamentation that listed for $ 200.00 less.
You had to pay a little more for the humbuckers and the bound neck with the block inlays.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Gotcha... I too prefer the look of the dots.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

teleharmonium

Reaction score
The Blues 90 in green is my favorite of that type of Guild, other than the much more expensive original late 50s M-75 in blonde with the Franz pickups.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Codeorama.

That's a sweet Blues 90.

I'll own a Blues 90 one day to complement my Bluesbird.
I've seen that green before, numerous times, and thought "Yummie".
Then I've seen rear shots, and thought "Way too much green".

Do any owners of these think the green-effect is a bit over-powering, or does it work better in real life ?

I'd be happy really, with any of the colours except natural, which just doesn't work for me; but then again, I've never actually seen one "live".

dklsplace

Reaction score
Do any owners of these think the green-effect is a bit over-powering, or does it work better in real life ?

I'd be happy really, with any of the colours except natural, which just doesn't work for me; but then again, I've never actually seen one "live".

Don't own one, but have hands on experience. I would prefer a black, or even mahogany b&s on the green.

BTW, the Blues 90 was only made in 3 colors. Green, cherry (also a very nice flame) & my personal favorite, the translucent black.

Squawk

Reaction score
My Blues 90 is also green - same flaming like Code's. I know you might think "green - yecch!" - but it is really very nice and rich looking.

Nice companion to my red standard Bluesbird - especially at Xmas time. BTW, code, the neck is entirely different on a Bluesbird - thinner in addition to having block inlays and binding. And of course, they sound very different.

codeorama

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Codeorama.

That's a sweet Blues 90.

Thank you.
I'm generally not a big fan of green guitars either, and I probably wouldn't have bought it if I saw a picture of it on the net... But when I opened the case and saw it in person, I was really digging it. It is definately cool.
Regardless of the color... The Tone is what is killer. Man does it sound good.
What was Fender thinking when they discontinued these guitars???

codeorama

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Codeorama.

That's a sweet Blues 90.

Thank you.
I'm generally not a big fan of green guitars either, and I probably wouldn't have bought it if I saw a picture of it on the net... But when I opened the case and saw it in person, I was really digging it. It is definately cool.
Regardless of the color... The Tone is what is killer. Man does it sound good.
What was Fender thinking when they discontinued these guitars???

codeorama

Reaction score
Squawk said:
My Blues 90 is also green - same flaming like Code's. I know you might think "green - yecch!" - but it is really very nice and rich looking.

Nice companion to my red standard Bluesbird - especially at Xmas time. BTW, code, the neck is entirely different on a Bluesbird - thinner in addition to having block inlays and binding. And of course, they sound very different.

I love the fat neck, I probably would not like the neck on the regular Bluesbird.

The P-90's are so cool sounding, particularly for solo's.

codeorama

Reaction score
Squawk said:

I love the fat neck, I probably would not like the neck on the regular Bluesbird.

The P-90's are so cool sounding, particularly for solo's.

codeorama

Reaction score
dklsplace said:

Don't own one, but have hands on experience. I would prefer a black, or even mahogany b&s on the green.

BTW, the Blues 90 was only made in 3 colors. Green, cherry (also a very nice flame) & my personal favorite, the translucent black.

Very cool website you have here. Thank you.
I've learned a bunch in a very short time. There's so little Guild info out there.

codeorama

Reaction score
dklsplace said:

Very cool website you have here. Thank you.
I've learned a bunch in a very short time. There's so little Guild info out there.

codeorama

Reaction score
Here's another pic from another angle...

[IMG:800:600]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/codeorama/P1010003.jpg[/img]

codeorama

Reaction score
Here's another pic from another angle...

[IMG:800:600]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/codeorama/P1010003.jpg[/img]