Crossroads Question

Squawk

Reaction score
Mine does - I believe all of them do (unless Hans knows something I dont...)

Squawk

Reaction score
Mine does - I believe all of them do (unless Hans knows something I dont...)

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've never known what a Crossroads was, and became curious upon reading this thread.

Googled, and wow ! Nice !

And so "different" - an acoustic bridge on an electric; how interesting !

Would somebody mind please, educating me a little on the subject ?
Is there something in particular these guitars do well ?
Any good for slide ?
What kind of p/u is that ? Do they all have just a neck p/u ?

Would somebody mind posting some pictures, please ?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've never known what a Crossroads was, and became curious upon reading this thread.

Googled, and wow ! Nice !

And so "different" - an acoustic bridge on an electric; how interesting !

Would somebody mind please, educating me a little on the subject ?
Is there something in particular these guitars do well ?
Any good for slide ?
What kind of p/u is that ? Do they all have just a neck p/u ?

Would somebody mind posting some pictures, please ?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I've sleuthed around and got some info.

16" radius fretboard interests me, and the two user-reviews I read at H.C. were helpful.
Apparently, only a possible 97 made, and a pretty versatile guitar.

So now, I need a black Bluesbird, a Blues 90, an F47, an F45, an S-50 and a Crossroads !
This is not going to be easy getting past Mrs Coastie !!

[img:900:2736]http://www.i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/coastie99/guildcrossroads.jpg[/img]

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I've sleuthed around and got some info.

16" radius fretboard interests me, and the two user-reviews I read at H.C. were helpful.
Apparently, only a possible 97 made, and a pretty versatile guitar.

So now, I need a black Bluesbird, a Blues 90, an F47, an F45, an S-50 and a Crossroads !
This is not going to be easy getting past Mrs Coastie !!

[img:900:2736]http://www.i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/coastie99/guildcrossroads.jpg[/img]

hideglue

Reaction score
Interesting design of the Crossroads: Some with lead weights on either side of the lower bouts inside the body (like the '90s Songbirds). Apparently they were a little "top" heavy otherwise. Also, check the control knobs. Most were drilled out to accomodate the larger pot diameter/smaller knob hole. It wouldn't be a Guild w/out some quirkiness. Despite the H/C review, no Crossroads that I've ever seen had a a bone saddle or bridge pins.

hideglue

Reaction score
Interesting design of the Crossroads: Some with lead weights on either side of the lower bouts inside the body (like the '90s Songbirds). Apparently they were a little "top" heavy otherwise. Also, check the control knobs. Most were drilled out to accomodate the larger pot diameter/smaller knob hole. It wouldn't be a Guild w/out some quirkiness. Despite the H/C review, no Crossroads that I've ever seen had a a bone saddle or bridge pins.

Squawk

Reaction score
When I get a chance, I'll take and post a pic.

Basically, the Crossroads is a hybrid, but more of an acoustic than a chambered electric - it's actually braced like an acoustic and plays like an acoustic with good fast action, although it looks like a Ttelecaster with an acopustic bridge. It has a passive EMG and an active Piezo, so if you use very light strings to bend notes and appease the EMG, you'll lose on the acoustic side - so I somewhat compromise by keeping it strung with phosphor bronze 10s (which I was told my piece was set up for). and it sounds OK, though next time I'll try 11s to get a little richer Piezo sound. The preamp for the Piezo has a tone control - but you have to unscrew the back panel to use it - so I keep mine in neutral - this, IMHO, was a not-so-bright design "feature" as external access could have been supplied.

Having said all this, as an amplified acoustic, it is an easy to play, easy to hold and comfortable to use (especially with the geezer gut) acoustic electric - the electric voicing is OK, but not ideal for fiery leads. It does not two separate (stereo) outputs, so switching between acoustic and electric when performing cannot be maximized easily (as can be done with Godins). It's acoustic sound is not great, but better than you would expect.

Squawk

Reaction score
When I get a chance, I'll take and post a pic.

Basically, the Crossroads is a hybrid, but more of an acoustic than a chambered electric - it's actually braced like an acoustic and plays like an acoustic with good fast action, although it looks like a Ttelecaster with an acopustic bridge. It has a passive EMG and an active Piezo, so if you use very light strings to bend notes and appease the EMG, you'll lose on the acoustic side - so I somewhat compromise by keeping it strung with phosphor bronze 10s (which I was told my piece was set up for). and it sounds OK, though next time I'll try 11s to get a little richer Piezo sound. The preamp for the Piezo has a tone control - but you have to unscrew the back panel to use it - so I keep mine in neutral - this, IMHO, was a not-so-bright design "feature" as external access could have been supplied.

Having said all this, as an amplified acoustic, it is an easy to play, easy to hold and comfortable to use (especially with the geezer gut) acoustic electric - the electric voicing is OK, but not ideal for fiery leads. It does not two separate (stereo) outputs, so switching between acoustic and electric when performing cannot be maximized easily (as can be done with Godins). It's acoustic sound is not great, but better than you would expect.

GraceNotes

Reaction score
I've had 2-voice and 3-voice Godins, but they were all electric guitars first and an acoustic second. I have a Parker Fly Deluxe now, and I really like the acoustic sound on it best of any of the hybrids. But it is still first and foremost an electric.

The Taylor T5 is more truely in the line of the Crossroads, being designed for both acoustic and electric work. Perhaps the best of this style is the Hamer Duo-tone. I am sure there are others, but these are the ones I know.

GraceNotes

Reaction score
I've had 2-voice and 3-voice Godins, but they were all electric guitars first and an acoustic second. I have a Parker Fly Deluxe now, and I really like the acoustic sound on it best of any of the hybrids. But it is still first and foremost an electric.

The Taylor T5 is more truely in the line of the Crossroads, being designed for both acoustic and electric work. Perhaps the best of this style is the Hamer Duo-tone. I am sure there are others, but these are the ones I know.

Squawk

Reaction score
Grace - I agree.

I have a 2-voice Godin where you can output to both an acoustic and electric amp - so with the flip of the pickup switch, you really change guitars. Unfortunately, the acoustic sound is too tinny, even with trying to stabilize it with the acoustic amp controls. The Crossroads, on the othr hand, sounds like an acoustic - a GOOD acoustic.

Squawk

Reaction score
Grace - I agree.

I have a 2-voice Godin where you can output to both an acoustic and electric amp - so with the flip of the pickup switch, you really change guitars. Unfortunately, the acoustic sound is too tinny, even with trying to stabilize it with the acoustic amp controls. The Crossroads, on the othr hand, sounds like an acoustic - a GOOD acoustic.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a Parker Fly Deluxe now, and I really like the acoustic sound on it best of any of the hybrids. But it is still first and foremost an electric.

The Taylor T5 is more truely in the line of the Crossroads, being designed for both acoustic and electric work.

You all are describing the acoustic sound played thru an amplifier are you not. Unplugged my T 5 is an acoustic midget. Amplified using the acoustic pickup "mike" it's pretty cool, but it's an electric guitar. An electric with some versatile acoustic capabilities but in it's bones it's an electric .

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a Parker Fly Deluxe now, and I really like the acoustic sound on it best of any of the hybrids. But it is still first and foremost an electric.

The Taylor T5 is more truely in the line of the Crossroads, being designed for both acoustic and electric work.

You all are describing the acoustic sound played thru an amplifier are you not. Unplugged my T 5 is an acoustic midget. Amplified using the acoustic pickup "mike" it's pretty cool, but it's an electric guitar. An electric with some versatile acoustic capabilities but in it's bones it's an electric .