andrew

Reaction score
Greetings! I love Guilds too. I think seeing the Guild headstock logo on Tommy Smothers guitar made some kind of impression on me. My first real guitar was in 1970 when I bought a new Les Paul Custom fretless wonder. I got the itch for another guitar around 1985 when I saw a review of a Guild Nightbird GG in GUITAR PLAYER magazine. I bought one a week later: amber spruce top with Kent Armstrong pickups. It is my main player. Later I got a standard Nightbird.Then a Starfire2, a S-60, aBrian May Signature, a Starfire4, a 1968 Starfire 12 string, and a Guild-Maderia strat. The S-60 was alot of fun:I had it refretted with jumbo sized frets. That and the narrow neck just made you want to play. Out of all these 6-strings the GG Nightbird is my favorite for tone and playability. I've had 2 360 RICS but the Starfire plays much better - but the RICS do look so cool- but then again there is something about that headstock logo.....

andrew

Reaction score
Greetings! I love Guilds too. I think seeing the Guild headstock logo on Tommy Smothers guitar made some kind of impression on me. My first real guitar was in 1970 when I bought a new Les Paul Custom fretless wonder. I got the itch for another guitar around 1985 when I saw a review of a Guild Nightbird GG in GUITAR PLAYER magazine. I bought one a week later: amber spruce top with Kent Armstrong pickups. It is my main player. Later I got a standard Nightbird.Then a Starfire2, a S-60, aBrian May Signature, a Starfire4, a 1968 Starfire 12 string, and a Guild-Maderia strat. The S-60 was alot of fun:I had it refretted with jumbo sized frets. That and the narrow neck just made you want to play. Out of all these 6-strings the GG Nightbird is my favorite for tone and playability. I've had 2 360 RICS but the Starfire plays much better - but the RICS do look so cool- but then again there is something about that headstock logo.....

john_kidder

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

I'm a fan of the "Gruhn Guilds", and will be looking for a Nightbird in the future. What's the difference between the "GG" and the "regular"?

john_kidder

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

I'm a fan of the "Gruhn Guilds", and will be looking for a Nightbird in the future. What's the difference between the "GG" and the "regular"?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Anybody who is a fan of Gruhn Guilds is a fan of mine. Or something like that. Anyway, Gruhn himself may be an Oscar Meyer, but not his guitars.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Anybody who is a fan of Gruhn Guilds is a fan of mine. Or something like that. Anyway, Gruhn himself may be an Oscar Meyer, but not his guitars.

andrew

Reaction score
Hello! The neck on my standard Nightbird had a chuncker feel and the fret markers were smaller. The frets may have been a little thinner also. Thank you, Andrew

andrew

Reaction score
Hello! The neck on my standard Nightbird had a chuncker feel and the fret markers were smaller. The frets may have been a little thinner also. Thank you, Andrew

Squawk

Reaction score
Andrew - welcome!

We get very personal here. Are you 50 or over?

Squawk

Reaction score
Andrew - welcome!

We get very personal here. Are you 50 or over?

Squawk

Reaction score
Wow! Another geezer! There must be something statistically significant about Guild and geezerdom (or lat least LTG and geezerdom).

Back to guitars - You mention you have a few Starfires and 2 Ric 360s. Are these 6 and/or 12 stringers? I have a Ric 360-12 - nothing gets a 12-string jangle like a Ric. When you compare the Ric to the Starfire, are you comparing 12 to 12 or 6 to 6?

Squawk

Reaction score
Wow! Another geezer! There must be something statistically significant about Guild and geezerdom (or lat least LTG and geezerdom).

Back to guitars - You mention you have a few Starfires and 2 Ric 360s. Are these 6 and/or 12 stringers? I have a Ric 360-12 - nothing gets a 12-string jangle like a Ric. When you compare the Ric to the Starfire, are you comparing 12 to 12 or 6 to 6?

john_kidder

Reaction score
Squawk said:
There must be something statistically significant about Guild and geezerdom

See thread about Fender for some effects of us old farts being the market for these guitars. They'd better get something happening with younger people, or the brand will be gone.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Squawk said:
There must be something statistically significant about Guild and geezerdom

See thread about Fender for some effects of us old farts being the market for these guitars. They'd better get something happening with younger people, or the brand will be gone.