1974 M-75 nut shim or replacement question

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1974 M-75CS. Tobacco finish. Very, very nice in all respects, except that both E strings have begun to buzz when open. Fretted there is no buzz. The other strings are fine with no issues at all. My thinking is that the nut slots are worn too deep and that either a shim or a new nut is in order. If anyone has had experience or has any advice about this problem or with nut shims or replacements on your Guild electric, I would be most appreciative to receive your feedback. Thanks,

kindofblue79

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1974 M-75CS. Tobacco finish. Very, very nice in all respects, except that both E strings have begun to buzz when open. Fretted there is no buzz. The other strings are fine with no issues at all. My thinking is that the nut slots are worn too deep and that either a shim or a new nut is in order. If anyone has had experience or has any advice about this problem or with nut shims or replacements on your Guild electric, I would be most appreciative to receive your feedback. Thanks,

kindofblue79

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
despite all of the following words that are an invitation to NZ punsters, I mean the following seriously.

I think a luthier can put that synthetic nut paste in the grooves, which hardens, and then the luthier puts in new grooves that aren't quite as deep. I've had this done, and I couldn't tell the new composite from the old nut. And it's a lot cheaper.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
despite all of the following words that are an invitation to NZ punsters, I mean the following seriously.

I think a luthier can put that synthetic nut paste in the grooves, which hardens, and then the luthier puts in new grooves that aren't quite as deep. I've had this done, and I couldn't tell the new composite from the old nut. And it's a lot cheaper.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I think a luthier can put that synthetic nut paste in the grooves, which hardens, and then the luthier puts in new grooves that aren't quite as deep.

Synthetic nut paste = super glue + baking soda.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I think a luthier can put that synthetic nut paste in the grooves, which hardens, and then the luthier puts in new grooves that aren't quite as deep.

Synthetic nut paste = super glue + baking soda.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First Iv'e ever heard of nut paste, earlier discussion of nut sauce was interesting as well.

This stuff anything like toe jam?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First Iv'e ever heard of nut paste, earlier discussion of nut sauce was interesting as well.

This stuff anything like toe jam?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
More serious note: Would heavier guage strings make the buzzing better or worse. My firsts thoughts would be it should help some.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
More serious note: Would heavier guage strings make the buzzing better or worse. My firsts thoughts would be it should help some.

Squawk

Reaction score
I agree w/Darryl - the bigger gauge = strings slightly higher (with the same nut and saddle grooves) - maybe can remove buzz - but may need more than that.

Squawk

Reaction score
I agree w/Darryl - the bigger gauge = strings slightly higher (with the same nut and saddle grooves) - maybe can remove buzz - but may need more than that.

Reaction score
To all who posted replies, I appreciate both the info and the humor. I will leave a post as to what I decide to do and the results. Thanks!

Reaction score
To all who posted replies, I appreciate both the info and the humor. I will leave a post as to what I decide to do and the results. Thanks!