TV show on NZ

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
An American programme on the telly called Globe Trekker just featured NZ. They were up in the mountains. It looked like the Swiss alps. I think the high altitude might explain some of the people there.

But then, I think the high heat might explain some of the people in Arizona.

And the loco weed in Texas.

And the clouds in Seattle.

And Marge Schott in Ohio.

And the beer in Holland.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
An American programme on the telly called Globe Trekker just featured NZ. They were up in the mountains. It looked like the Swiss alps. I think the high altitude might explain some of the people there.

But then, I think the high heat might explain some of the people in Arizona.

And the loco weed in Texas.

And the clouds in Seattle.

And Marge Schott in Ohio.

And the beer in Holland.

andrew

Reaction score
Loco

Possibly the guy who thought this up: check EBAY item # 250024650437

andrew

Reaction score
Loco

Possibly the guy who thought this up: check EBAY item # 250024650437

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That's me, West. I skipped the whole drug thing because I was weird already and was trying to be normal. People think I'm an old acid head, which really ticks me off. In the newspaper, they said I was somewhere between Perry Como and Timothy Leary. I think Timothy Leary was downright evil. He did more harm than just about anybody else.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That's me, West. I skipped the whole drug thing because I was weird already and was trying to be normal. People think I'm an old acid head, which really ticks me off. In the newspaper, they said I was somewhere between Perry Como and Timothy Leary. I think Timothy Leary was downright evil. He did more harm than just about anybody else.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Timothy Como?............Yes, I think the old Timster was pretty darned goofy...... mind expansion and all. But I thought ALL college professors had dabbled in contraband, just part of the 60's 70's culture......haven't you seen "Animal House"? Especially you brilliant guys.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Timothy Como?............Yes, I think the old Timster was pretty darned goofy...... mind expansion and all. But I thought ALL college professors had dabbled in contraband, just part of the 60's 70's culture......haven't you seen "Animal House"? Especially you brilliant guys.

West

Squawk

Reaction score
I parallel Darryl - 'cept I never tried to be normal. I didn't have to. I was born, lived and went to college in New York City.

Squawk

Reaction score
I parallel Darryl - 'cept I never tried to be normal. I didn't have to. I was born, lived and went to college in New York City.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't discovered those herbs back then. It made me want to eat and be lazy all of the time. Heck, I might have made something of myself. Lost my appetite in the early 80's when I decided to help make my first son. When you grow up your priorities change quite a bit.

Maybe that's just the way it was in Texas. Just a local culture.....now wait a minute...Sqauwker, wasn't there a guy named Max Yadsker that lived near you? :D Had a little farm in um....Woodrow.....Woodstick?

Sure helped give me an acute appreciation for music though.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't discovered those herbs back then. It made me want to eat and be lazy all of the time. Heck, I might have made something of myself. Lost my appetite in the early 80's when I decided to help make my first son. When you grow up your priorities change quite a bit.

Maybe that's just the way it was in Texas. Just a local culture.....now wait a minute...Sqauwker, wasn't there a guy named Max Yadsker that lived near you? :D Had a little farm in um....Woodrow.....Woodstick?

Sure helped give me an acute appreciation for music though.

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've been to NYC only once, and man what energy. (I stayed at the Chelsea Hotel, of course. It caught fire.)

There just aren't any dopers in the faculty ranks. You can't use drugs and your gourd at the same time. That's why Tim got canned. Tim was a tenured psych prof at Harvard. That's how weird some of us are. (You don't have to live in NZ). And look at Hank the Crank Kissinger, and Condi Rice. Drooling maniac con-artists on a natural high. Imagine of they were on some dope other than ego.

We see smart kids ruin themselves with drugs, and I feel guilty because it was my generation who got all of that going. My generation ain't squat compared to the generation of my father and uncles.

Do I sound like Shotgun Cheney? Or do I sound like a hypocrite liberal LIKE CHENEY"S LESBIAN DAUGHTER!!!.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've been to NYC only once, and man what energy. (I stayed at the Chelsea Hotel, of course. It caught fire.)

There just aren't any dopers in the faculty ranks. You can't use drugs and your gourd at the same time. That's why Tim got canned. Tim was a tenured psych prof at Harvard. That's how weird some of us are. (You don't have to live in NZ). And look at Hank the Crank Kissinger, and Condi Rice. Drooling maniac con-artists on a natural high. Imagine of they were on some dope other than ego.

We see smart kids ruin themselves with drugs, and I feel guilty because it was my generation who got all of that going. My generation ain't squat compared to the generation of my father and uncles.

Do I sound like Shotgun Cheney? Or do I sound like a hypocrite liberal LIKE CHENEY"S LESBIAN DAUGHTER!!!.

Squawk

Reaction score
Max Yasgur's farm (probably a retirement development now) is few hours drive upstate - not at all related to New York City. Us city rats did very little outside the city limits (pretty large - NYC is actually made up of 5 counties called boroughs).

I know very few New Yorkers who actually went to the Woodchuck festival. I didn't drive until I was 24 (and I was 19 in the summer of 1969). Both of my parents (dad deceased; mom is 83) NEVER drove a car in their lives. My daughter who just turned 21 gave up her license 3 years ago when she started school there - a blessing for pedestrians and drivers in both NY and NJ :)

Interestingly, commuting to school in downtown NYC meant we slept at home - a big deterrent to doing any kind of drugs. And the drinking age in NYC at the time was 18 - so by time we got to college, who cared? The biggest difference between my college life and that of Darryl's is that the 5 boroughs (really 4 - no one counts Staten Island) IS the campus. There's so much to see and do - without driving - that there's no need to hole up somewhere and get high, though of course many did - and still do.

I also developed a hatered for excessive drinking when some of my equipment was ruined withg beer stains at these wonderful "clubs" I played. My justification for continuing playing these places when I was in college was, heck, I'm getting paid for it - what's THEIR excuse?

It was a big culture shock when my wife and I moved to a fairly rural area of NJ shortly after I got my first job in Trenton. In NYC, if you felt like leaving the house at 1AM to do something, you did. The only places open at 1AM after we moved were one 24 hour supermarket and bars. Luckily, home video came along around that time.

Squawk

Reaction score
Max Yasgur's farm (probably a retirement development now) is few hours drive upstate - not at all related to New York City. Us city rats did very little outside the city limits (pretty large - NYC is actually made up of 5 counties called boroughs).

I know very few New Yorkers who actually went to the Woodchuck festival. I didn't drive until I was 24 (and I was 19 in the summer of 1969). Both of my parents (dad deceased; mom is 83) NEVER drove a car in their lives. My daughter who just turned 21 gave up her license 3 years ago when she started school there - a blessing for pedestrians and drivers in both NY and NJ :)

Interestingly, commuting to school in downtown NYC meant we slept at home - a big deterrent to doing any kind of drugs. And the drinking age in NYC at the time was 18 - so by time we got to college, who cared? The biggest difference between my college life and that of Darryl's is that the 5 boroughs (really 4 - no one counts Staten Island) IS the campus. There's so much to see and do - without driving - that there's no need to hole up somewhere and get high, though of course many did - and still do.

I also developed a hatered for excessive drinking when some of my equipment was ruined withg beer stains at these wonderful "clubs" I played. My justification for continuing playing these places when I was in college was, heck, I'm getting paid for it - what's THEIR excuse?

It was a big culture shock when my wife and I moved to a fairly rural area of NJ shortly after I got my first job in Trenton. In NYC, if you felt like leaving the house at 1AM to do something, you did. The only places open at 1AM after we moved were one 24 hour supermarket and bars. Luckily, home video came along around that time.