1983 X-175 Scale length? String recommendations?

friendphil

Reaction score
I just purchased a used '83, i believe, Manhattan X-175. I took off all the tarnished bailing wire, without thinking and then the bridge plunked to the floor. After re-stringing, I am having problems with intonation. Does anyone know the actual scale length specification for this guitar? My web searches found anything from 25" to 25 3/4", and 25 1/2" as well. Any recommendations for strings? thanks for any info.

friendphil

Reaction score
I just purchased a used '83, i believe, Manhattan X-175. I took off all the tarnished bailing wire, without thinking and then the bridge plunked to the floor. After re-stringing, I am having problems with intonation. Does anyone know the actual scale length specification for this guitar? My web searches found anything from 25" to 25 3/4", and 25 1/2" as well. Any recommendations for strings? thanks for any info.

Squawk

Reaction score
Welcome friendphil!

Hans (or anyone else) can correct me, but I believe the scale is 24.75"

I assume you have a rosewood bridge with adjustable wheels on either side.

The fact fact that the bridge fell off indicates to me you might not have much experience with archtops w/floating bridges. Intonation takes a little time, but it's worth it when you're done. Assuming the bridge wasn't damaged, I would suggest stringing the outer strings (both Es); roughly tune both to get the tension; see if the bridge height needs to be adjusted - if it does, loosen both strings first,then adjust, then retune. Check intonation at 12th fret for both strings. Loosen and tighten strings as often as necessary to angle the bridge such that both are intoned.

Then string the rest and they should fall into place. Depending on your playing style, you might want to use finish-safe carpet tape or other adhesive so the bridge doesn't move when you play. I personally don't, but others here on LTG do and can give you their opinions if you need to do that.

What kind of strings are you using? Assuming you have compensated saddles, remember your string set must have a wound G.

Squawk

Reaction score
Welcome friendphil!

Hans (or anyone else) can correct me, but I believe the scale is 24.75"

I assume you have a rosewood bridge with adjustable wheels on either side.

The fact fact that the bridge fell off indicates to me you might not have much experience with archtops w/floating bridges. Intonation takes a little time, but it's worth it when you're done. Assuming the bridge wasn't damaged, I would suggest stringing the outer strings (both Es); roughly tune both to get the tension; see if the bridge height needs to be adjusted - if it does, loosen both strings first,then adjust, then retune. Check intonation at 12th fret for both strings. Loosen and tighten strings as often as necessary to angle the bridge such that both are intoned.

Then string the rest and they should fall into place. Depending on your playing style, you might want to use finish-safe carpet tape or other adhesive so the bridge doesn't move when you play. I personally don't, but others here on LTG do and can give you their opinions if you need to do that.

What kind of strings are you using? Assuming you have compensated saddles, remember your string set must have a wound G.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Check intonation at 12th fret for both strings. Loosen and tighten strings as often as necessary to angle the bridge such that both are intoned

Wouldn't one of those inepensive little chromatic tuners make short work of setting a removable bridge for intonation or am I missing something ?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Check intonation at 12th fret for both strings. Loosen and tighten strings as often as necessary to angle the bridge such that both are intoned

Wouldn't one of those inepensive little chromatic tuners make short work of setting a removable bridge for intonation or am I missing something ?

friendphil

Reaction score
thank you, Squawk

I have just a little experience with floating bridges, enough that your suggestions are very helpful, indeed. And knowing that I need a wound G string gives me what I need to know to get off on the right foot there. (When I started looking for what I had on hand to replace the old strings that came with the 175, I came up with an odd mis-match of left-overs, so can't really say what I have on now.) I think I'll go to the store and get some flat wound .012s if they have them. I am playing with these on a DeArmond Starfire (a semi-hollowbody) and like them a lot.

friendphil

Reaction score
thank you, Squawk

I have just a little experience with floating bridges, enough that your suggestions are very helpful, indeed. And knowing that I need a wound G string gives me what I need to know to get off on the right foot there. (When I started looking for what I had on hand to replace the old strings that came with the 175, I came up with an odd mis-match of left-overs, so can't really say what I have on now.) I think I'll go to the store and get some flat wound .012s if they have them. I am playing with these on a DeArmond Starfire (a semi-hollowbody) and like them a lot.

friendphil

Reaction score
chromatic tuners

I do have a chromatic tuner, which I have used to set intonation on other guitars. I will use it, and the suggestion that Squawk had for starting with the two E strings and adjusting intonation and string height at that stage to get the bridge distance and angle set right. (re Squawk's reply, no the bridge wasn't damaged.)

friendphil

Reaction score
chromatic tuners

I do have a chromatic tuner, which I have used to set intonation on other guitars. I will use it, and the suggestion that Squawk had for starting with the two E strings and adjusting intonation and string height at that stage to get the bridge distance and angle set right. (re Squawk's reply, no the bridge wasn't damaged.)

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Phil.

Regardless of the actual scale length, if you measure from the inside of the nut (from between the D & G strings) to the center of the 12th fret, that should be the same distance as from the center of the 12th to the center of the bridge. Of course this isn't "exact," but will give you the best starting place to minimize bridge movement while intonating. I have an older style tuner with the floating needle (ala VU meter) & I've found this to be more exacting for intonation & works much better than the newer ones.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Phil.

Regardless of the actual scale length, if you measure from the inside of the nut (from between the D & G strings) to the center of the 12th fret, that should be the same distance as from the center of the 12th to the center of the bridge. Of course this isn't "exact," but will give you the best starting place to minimize bridge movement while intonating. I have an older style tuner with the floating needle (ala VU meter) & I've found this to be more exacting for intonation & works much better than the newer ones.

Squawk

Reaction score
Agree with Don - needle tuners are better for this type of work - figure $80 & up. I get by with a $50 one, but am thinking of getting a better tuner.

Squawk

Reaction score
Agree with Don - needle tuners are better for this type of work - figure $80 & up. I get by with a $50 one, but am thinking of getting a better tuner.

friendphil

Reaction score
re tuners

The info regarding tuners is also helpful.... thanks. I had suspected that when using my $20 Korg tuner after seeing my friends much better one, and also watching a fellow set intonation on my Gibson ES-175, which, providing that isn't a dirty word around here :?: :wink: I will mention is up for sale. The measurement to the 12th fret idea also is helpful. Thanks.

friendphil

Reaction score
re tuners

The info regarding tuners is also helpful.... thanks. I had suspected that when using my $20 Korg tuner after seeing my friends much better one, and also watching a fellow set intonation on my Gibson ES-175, which, providing that isn't a dirty word around here :?: :wink: I will mention is up for sale. The measurement to the 12th fret idea also is helpful. Thanks.

Squawk

Reaction score
The ES-175 is a nice jazz guitar - should be for $3,000+ :)

Squawk

Reaction score
The ES-175 is a nice jazz guitar - should be for $3,000+ :)

friendphil

Reaction score
REALLY?

I have my doubts about being able to get more than about $2000 for my 175 (Gibson). Do you really think $3,000? It's an '85, in very good to near mint, I've been told. From what I've seen on eBay, an older one might get that much-- there is a '74 that is about to close in a few hours, in fact, that is up to $3195. I am planning to show this to someone tomorrow asking $2k. Am I making a mistake do you think?
thanks for your input.

friendphil

Reaction score
REALLY?

I have my doubts about being able to get more than about $2000 for my 175 (Gibson). Do you really think $3,000? It's an '85, in very good to near mint, I've been told. From what I've seen on eBay, an older one might get that much-- there is a '74 that is about to close in a few hours, in fact, that is up to $3195. I am planning to show this to someone tomorrow asking $2k. Am I making a mistake do you think?
thanks for your input.