What strings for my X-170?

krispood

Reaction score
What string gauges should I use for my X-170?
From what I read in this forum the preference seems to be D'addario
Chromes 011. However, only Chromes 012 are available here in Thailand.
My other choice would be to use Elixir Nanoweb 010-046 (wound G)
I have no idea what string gauge is recommended by the factory.
Could anyone help me?

krispood

Reaction score
What string gauges should I use for my X-170?
From what I read in this forum the preference seems to be D'addario
Chromes 011. However, only Chromes 012 are available here in Thailand.
My other choice would be to use Elixir Nanoweb 010-046 (wound G)
I have no idea what string gauge is recommended by the factory.
Could anyone help me?

Squawk

Reaction score
Having a wound G is most important as the X170 has a compensated bridge (assuming the bridge is original). Many archtop players prefer flatwounds, but roundwounds can be used as well. Both sets you indicate should work, and you should be able to intone with a little adjustment of the bridge height and/or bridge placement. I personally like to use my X170 for blues, so I usually use flat 10s. Here's a pic of my X170:

[img:1080:769]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/squawkman/X170_body.jpg[/img]

Squawk

Reaction score
Having a wound G is most important as the X170 has a compensated bridge (assuming the bridge is original). Many archtop players prefer flatwounds, but roundwounds can be used as well. Both sets you indicate should work, and you should be able to intone with a little adjustment of the bridge height and/or bridge placement. I personally like to use my X170 for blues, so I usually use flat 10s. Here's a pic of my X170:

[img:1080:769]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/squawkman/X170_body.jpg[/img]

dklsplace

Reaction score
Thomastik Infeld makes great strings whether your looking for flat or round wound. I've used the D'A chromes, have had good luck with regular D'A XL rounds (wound G is key for me), but TI Jazz, or Bebop series are a step up in my book.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Thomastik Infeld makes great strings whether your looking for flat or round wound. I've used the D'A chromes, have had good luck with regular D'A XL rounds (wound G is key for me), but TI Jazz, or Bebop series are a step up in my book.

Squawk

Reaction score
I agree - TI are more expensive, but worth the difference. D'addario chromes are decent, cheaper and usually more readily available.

Their Spectrum acoustics are great too - have a set of 11s on my D50 now - feel and sound wonderful.

Squawk

Reaction score
I agree - TI are more expensive, but worth the difference. D'addario chromes are decent, cheaper and usually more readily available.

Their Spectrum acoustics are great too - have a set of 11s on my D50 now - feel and sound wonderful.