X-160 Volume Knob

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Well, I just got my corona-made X160 Rockabilly back (sad story!). I decided I'm going to keep it. One problem I've always had with it is...
The volume knob does nothing until it's almost all the way off. With my stratocaster the volume knob slowly and consistently turns the volume down...very useful. With my Guild you can turn and turn and nothing happens, and then suddenly it's off (quiet).
Do I need a different value pot... or is mine just defective?
Thanks
Rob

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Well, I just got my corona-made X160 Rockabilly back (sad story!). I decided I'm going to keep it. One problem I've always had with it is...
The volume knob does nothing until it's almost all the way off. With my stratocaster the volume knob slowly and consistently turns the volume down...very useful. With my Guild you can turn and turn and nothing happens, and then suddenly it's off (quiet).
Do I need a different value pot... or is mine just defective?
Thanks
Rob

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Standard strats have 250K potentiometers, and I think (?) your Guild has a 500K pot. Lower value pots tend to have more gradual taper, but also eat up a little more treble frequencies, even if they're wide open. You could experiment with 250K though, those 2000 pickups are plenty bright.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Standard strats have 250K potentiometers, and I think (?) your Guild has a 500K pot. Lower value pots tend to have more gradual taper, but also eat up a little more treble frequencies, even if they're wide open. You could experiment with 250K though, those 2000 pickups are plenty bright.

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I knew I had read somewhere that in order to fix the problem, the wide open sound would change.
I'm playing through a very dark (muddy) Rickenbacker M-11 amp at this time, I need all the brightness I can get!

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I knew I had read somewhere that in order to fix the problem, the wide open sound would change.
I'm playing through a very dark (muddy) Rickenbacker M-11 amp at this time, I need all the brightness I can get!