starfire II 66- pu's??

Reaction score
just got a starfire II 1966 cherry with humbuckers, I was thinking of replacing them with:
-dearmond 2000 or
-tv jones magnatron or
-gretsch or s.duncan dynasonics.

will any of theese pu's fit in my starfire , or will i have to cut in the guitar?
are there mini-humbuckers on the starfire?

and:

-witch of the pu's listed above sounds best?

I have only heard the dearmond 2000 and they are great!
is the magnatron similar??

thank you

G

Reaction score
just got a starfire II 1966 cherry with humbuckers, I was thinking of replacing them with:
-dearmond 2000 or
-tv jones magnatron or
-gretsch or s.duncan dynasonics.

will any of theese pu's fit in my starfire , or will i have to cut in the guitar?
are there mini-humbuckers on the starfire?

and:

-witch of the pu's listed above sounds best?

I have only heard the dearmond 2000 and they are great!
is the magnatron similar??

thank you

G

billydlight

Reaction score
WHy are you changing them out? I find them to be a very nice twangy sound on par with a filter'tron.

teleharmonium

Reaction score
I too would discourage anyone from changing the original pickups on a 60s Guild. Those are underrated pickups, not that far from a DeArmond tonally. They already have all of the desirable characteristics that I can think of when people are normally considering swapping humbuckers for single coils; usually they want a brighter sound with more definition, which the mini hums have. They are cooler than anything new you could put in there, aside from the issues of devaluing your guitar and taking one more original vintage instrument out of the proverbial gene pool.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The only difference I've noticed (with my limited experience and limited hearing) is that the minis sound a little twangier. And somebody out there in net land said Guild minis are a little hotter than _ibson minis.