First Jazz Guitar

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I know the flat top world pretty well, but I'm looking for an archtop to start learning Jazz. Ideally something (if possible) under $1000... any suggestions?

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I know the flat top world pretty well, but I'm looking for an archtop to start learning Jazz. Ideally something (if possible) under $1000... any suggestions?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Well sir, I'm happy to recommend the Guild X-150, or X-150D (2 pup) Savoy as an excellent jazz box. Not so happy to admit that they can be had for around or under $1000 these days. There are a couple on ebay right now I think.

On the other hand, you could watch for the DeArmond models & snatch a nice one for around (or under) $500. I think the X-155 is supposed to be built from the X-175 specs. There's also the X-135, which a couple members here have. I'm drawing a blank on the other DeA models but there were 2 or 3 more archtop hollowbody guitars. T-400? There were also a couple Starfire models.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Well sir, I'm happy to recommend the Guild X-150, or X-150D (2 pup) Savoy as an excellent jazz box. Not so happy to admit that they can be had for around or under $1000 these days. There are a couple on ebay right now I think.

On the other hand, you could watch for the DeArmond models & snatch a nice one for around (or under) $500. I think the X-155 is supposed to be built from the X-175 specs. There's also the X-135, which a couple members here have. I'm drawing a blank on the other DeA models but there were 2 or 3 more archtop hollowbody guitars. T-400? There were also a couple Starfire models.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Don,

There's a DeArmond on eBay right now that looks pretty nice. By the way, Dred said I should contact you about buying some pins for my DV-52, I may also need them to replace the plastics on my old D-44 when I get it back. Can you email costs and billing instructions?

Thanks,

David

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Don,

There's a DeArmond on eBay right now that looks pretty nice. By the way, Dred said I should contact you about buying some pins for my DV-52, I may also need them to replace the plastics on my old D-44 when I get it back. Can you email costs and billing instructions?

Thanks,

David