Practicing

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
There was a thread here at LTG recently about practice habits. I immediately thought of this list, but it took this long to find it. That should tell you something about my practice habits.

Wynton Marsalis isn't a guitar player. He is one of the best trumpet players in the world. Having made my living at that for a while I pay attention to his suggestions. This was written for band and orchestra players, but I think it's applicable to guitar players, too. So, remind me to read this every day, okay?

The 12 Rules of Practicing
by Wynton Marsalis

1. Seek Out Private Instruction. It could take years to figure out what a good teacher could show you quickly.

2. Write Out A Schedule. Include fundamentals always.

3. Set Goals. Chart your development. Challenge yourself.

4. Concentrate. Develop the ability to FOCUS. Do not "just go through the motions.".

5. Relax, Practice Slowly.

6. Practice Hard Parts Longer. Confront your deficiencies.

7. Play with Expression. Give yourself over to what you are doing. Do everything with the proper attitude. Do not be a cynic. The expression you play with is your style.

8. Learn From Your Mistakes. Do not be too hard on yourself. Resolve to improve each day.

9. Don't Show Off. Expression, not tricks or gimmicks. Showing off misses the point of group playing.

10. Think For Yourself. Respect your teacher, but think things through for yourself.

11. Be Optimistic. How you feel about living is who you are.

12. Look For Connections. The more you discover similarities in things that seem to be different, the greater the world you can participate in.

Kinda deep.
Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
There was a thread here at LTG recently about practice habits. I immediately thought of this list, but it took this long to find it. That should tell you something about my practice habits.

Wynton Marsalis isn't a guitar player. He is one of the best trumpet players in the world. Having made my living at that for a while I pay attention to his suggestions. This was written for band and orchestra players, but I think it's applicable to guitar players, too. So, remind me to read this every day, okay?

The 12 Rules of Practicing
by Wynton Marsalis

1. Seek Out Private Instruction. It could take years to figure out what a good teacher could show you quickly.

2. Write Out A Schedule. Include fundamentals always.

3. Set Goals. Chart your development. Challenge yourself.

4. Concentrate. Develop the ability to FOCUS. Do not "just go through the motions.".

5. Relax, Practice Slowly.

6. Practice Hard Parts Longer. Confront your deficiencies.

7. Play with Expression. Give yourself over to what you are doing. Do everything with the proper attitude. Do not be a cynic. The expression you play with is your style.

8. Learn From Your Mistakes. Do not be too hard on yourself. Resolve to improve each day.

9. Don't Show Off. Expression, not tricks or gimmicks. Showing off misses the point of group playing.

10. Think For Yourself. Respect your teacher, but think things through for yourself.

11. Be Optimistic. How you feel about living is who you are.

12. Look For Connections. The more you discover similarities in things that seem to be different, the greater the world you can participate in.

Kinda deep.
Guildmark

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

I think that it was I who posted the "Guitar Habits" topic in an earlier thread. I find it quite interesting to learn how the rest of you strive to get better. The post you made here is one of the more interesting.

Thank you,
West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

I think that it was I who posted the "Guitar Habits" topic in an earlier thread. I find it quite interesting to learn how the rest of you strive to get better. The post you made here is one of the more interesting.

Thank you,
West