Another New Member

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My first "real" acoustic guitar was a Guild F-30 that I bought new in 1969. I foolishly traded it toward a Martin in the late 80's and all I have left of her is the original receipt. (I still search eBay for that serial number!) I now have a 2002 Peregrine and a 1997 Bluesbird (as well as a Collings and Goodall). I have a few tech questions about the Bluesbird that I'll post along with photos a bit later. Just wanted to say hello, and glad to be here!
Mike

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good morning fellow night owl. I have been looking for that F 30 you traded off for a while now. Nice one's in good shape are pretty rare.

Electric guys will likely show up after a bit. There's an amazing pool of knowledge here. Bang around for a while & you'll likely bump in to someone interesting.

Jeff

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Welcome, drmike53!

I'd like to hear what you can tell us about your Peregrine. I've been intrigued by that model for a long time but there never seems to be one in stock when I visit the stores. Do you play in any particular style with it?

This is a fine site. You'll like it here.

Night owl or not, though, I gotta work in the morning.

Ciao!

Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
PS:

If you've got any recordings of yourself you can post up to a website, Jeff there is quite adept at jamming along with you! He's got a standing invitation to sit in whenever he gets to California. And california91207 and I are haggling over which one of us is gonna make the drive to the other's jam session or open mike or gig one of these days. I get this "foreboding" that one day we'll all converge on a Motel 6 in New Mexico and make history. Either there or New Zealand.

Guldmark

Reaction score
Peregrine

Guildmark,

The Peregrine is a great guitar. Very light weight, beautiful fit and finish, and most important great sounding. I actually owned a custom shop 90's Peregrine with a sunburst flame maple top that I sold awhile ago. My current one is the transparent red nitrocellulose finish, mahogany. It's not as pretty as my old custom shop model, but I think it actually sounds better. I mainly use it to play acoustic electric music (CSN, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, etc) and keep it strung with 12's.

Mike

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very cool! 8)

I hope to try one sometime soon. Any chance you have any recordings posted on a website somewhere? I know we must have some awesome players here at LTG but no one seems to want to toot their own axe (so to speak). I've suggested this to some local friends but they all seem to be dissatisfied with anything less than pristine, studio quality recordings. I believe that is just an excuse. This is not meant as a rant against you, personally, Mike, but now I'm on a roll! Where's my soapbox!!? :x One can easily record to a PC these days, or even to a cassette recorder (remember those?) and then transfer it to an MP3 on a PC and upload it to a free hosting site. Heck if I can learn to post images on LTG :wink: , and songs on Soundclick, anyone can!

So come on all you Guildinators! Let's hear you!
(Rant ends.)

Guildmark

Reaction score
Posting Audio

Guildmark,
I would like to post audio, but where would I do that?

Mike

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The simplest rig I've used was:

Microphone (actually two), decent Audio Technica dynamic, not expensive.
My 1982 Technics cassette recorder, which has nice needle-type VU meters and stereo mic input jacks (try and find such a thing these days).

I press Record and knock out a tune.
(Here comes the tricky part.)
I got a cable from Radio Shack that has two RCA phono plugs on one end and a stereo 3.5 mm mini plug on the other.
The phono plugs go into the Line Out jacks of my cassette player.
The mini plug goes into the Line In on my PC.

It is possible to play your tape recording back through the PC but I just listen to the playback through the cassette deck's headphone jack.

Here's my next big secret. There are any number of sound capture apps to choose from, and there's probably one that came with your operating system.
I chose a shareware product called Sound Recorder by Polderbits out of the Netherlands. http://www.polderbits.com/

It was cheap but it does a great job, and it is simple. That's s-i-m-p-l-e.
Start Sound Recorder.
Click it's Record icon.
Press Play on the cassette player.
Stop them after the song is over.
Save the file on the PC in the format you want (Usually mp3).

You now have a recording you can upload to Soundclick.com or whatever site you want to use. That process isn't much different than uploading photos.

I'm getting a little more complicated lately by experimenting with my mixers before sending it to the PC. I almost bought a mixer with a USB port to start doing this all directly to the PC and leave out the cassette part, but -- you know --- geezerness. For what I do, and what I need, my simple setup works alright. And if I need more than that I'll go to my friend's studio and let him do it professionally.

Hope that is of some value, and please feel free to ping me with any questions! There's gotta be a mountain of experience among the members here, too!

Good luck!

Guildmark

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mark, I assume you personally need two microphones because you want to sing. Me, on the other hand could probably get by with one.

Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff,

I just re-read my post with the instructions, and it really sounded snooty, sarcastic, and condescending to me. So, I really, really apologize. Sometimes written words don't come across the same as spoken ones. The intended tone just didn't ring through.

I really want to help, so drop me a line if there's anything I can do. I think you can have a lot of fun doing this!

Mark

Reaction score
I love the simplicity

Mark,
I have amassed a whole bunch of digital recording equipment for my basement studio, and I have to say, I love your refreshingly simple approach! It serves as a great reminder that it's really all about the music, and that technology is just a tool.
Mike

PS- I would still love to know more about options originally available on the Bluesbirds.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
it really sounded snooty, sarcastic, and condescending to me. So, I really, really apologize.

I really have no Idea what you are talking about. Your response was precisely the answer I needed, in plain terminology, or was it the methodology. I was looking for a cheap & easy way to go about it & you gave me the facts.

Course it did get a bit more complex the last couple paragraphs but I expected that.

I have a couple tunes the F20 likes & would like to give it a shot. Pretty busy lately so it may be a little while.

Thanks,

Jeff