Yet another new member

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want to say hi. I have a 2003 Goldtop and just started paying for another at the music store today. The quilt top or flame top, whatever it's called. Went to the store to grab a box for shipping a guitar I just sold (not a very good one) and there she was, hanging on the wall, calling to me. She wasn't there last week and I knew I had to have her. When I got my Goldtop, that was all I could find, so I had to settle for the non-Westerly, but now this flame top is staring me in the face. Well, after I finish paying in the next month or so, she's mine. (The same thing happened last week with a Bassman, except I left the store with that). The new serial # is CL001513 or something like that. I think that makes it like a 1998?? The store has been there forever and knows they sold it to the original guy in Dec 1998, and now they're selling it, sold it actually, for him. So I was gonna put the goldtop on ebay, but I though what the heck, why don't I trick it out with a bigsby and some P90s. Any thoughts on that?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gino,

Willkommen.

Don't alter that goldie. You'll be paying to lower the price.

You've discovered he first law of GAS. If you want to find a guitar that you just gotta have, spend all your money on something and the must-have guitar will show up in a week.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was talking about doing the mods instead of selling it. I definitely don't want to touch the flame top and I thought since I'll have 2, that one can be kind of funky.

So the serial# CL001513 is a 98, right?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gino,

If you modify it, I'm going to crawl through this internet cable and appear on your screen. Although if you like horror shows, I'll stay home.

Reaction score
OK, so I'm not hearing a lot of support for modificaton.
Here's my thought process: I'll have a Westerly flametop, selling the Goldtop on ebay wouldn't work because I'd take it too personally that I couldn't get what it's worth, so since I'd already have an all-original Westerly, why not make some nice "classic" modifications to the Goldtop. I'm not certain I'm going to do it and any money I currently have is spent 3 times over anyway. I was really just knocking around some ideas. (BTW, I call the Goldtop the Ramrod).

dklsplace

Reaction score
Don't let 'em scare you Gino. I'm all for functionality & it's not like we're talking about an early Aristocrat. Lets face it, unless you're having a custom model built to your specs, there just isn't much hope for getting everything you desire right off the shelf. With the availability of after market parts, you can trick out your guitar with very little modification to the foundation of the instrument.

BTW...check with me first on parts before you decide to spend any of the money you don't have! :wink:

Reaction score
Good news

I won't need to do the mods. I got this instead: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginos/267973130/

Still keeping the Goldtop. Tried to put Dunlop straplocks on her but the bottom pin is the inch long thing that goes up into the body. I have seen different posts referencing this, but haven't found a solution. Any ideas? Thanks guys

Bluesbird75

Reaction score
Straplocks?

Gday mate, i am a singer/ guitar slinger from OZ, and have a Bird myself. Needed to be able to let the guitar hang while performing at times and lets face it, the strap pins look good but are pretty thin and insecure.
Forget strap locks, save your money, instead buy two Grolsh Beer swing top bottles, enjoy the brew, then take the rubber ring seals off the porcelin caps and place them on after your strap.Works a treat and you have a cool story for the punters who ask you what the hell they are at your gigs! Cheers!

gtraddict

Reaction score
Gino you can see on the net prices once you start putting the holes into the guitar it will go down. If you decide to get rid of it give me an email.