'86 solid bodies

guildzilla

Reaction score
These are my first e-bay purchases, and I have a few questions and would like to solicit opinions. I thought I got a great deal on both ($308/$301). They were received late this week, and I polished them and put on new 10's. My buddy and I stayed up til 2 a.m. last night playing them. I think they're both great, and I'm pumped.

I don't have pix to post, but hope to soon. I have the Guild model and price list, effective May 1, 1986, which was real helpful and lists some of the options on these guitars.

#1- S-261K, 3-PU in Pearl White came with hang tags, allen wrenches, trem bar, and Kahler instructions (thank heaven!). I'm certain the tag is authentic as the handwriting for the serial # HC101096 matches the tag from my '86 F-44, purchased in 1987. Very good condition and excellent action obtained when I set up the Kahler. 3 knobs (volume, midrange?, treble?) and 5-way switch. Black tuners and hardware

#2- S-271 Sprint, 3-PU in Black did not have tags, wrenches, trem bar or instructions. The serial # is HC101277. Very good condition but action obtained not quite as low as above without buzzing. 3 knobs ((volume, midrange?, treble?) and 3-way switch. Black tuners and hardware.

I believe #2 needs a truss rod adjustment to better the action, but it's already decent, and I want to give it some time before I try that.

Both guitars have strat-like poplar? bodies, terrific maple necks in great shape. #1 has a little more fret wear than #2. Both have rosewood boards, which is a shame because ebony (just a $50 option according to my price list) would have been perfect match for both.

Here are some questions:

1 - In the Guild dating resources, the serial #'s of both are in the S-280/281 column, can anyone explain that?

2 - Re: the S-261K, built in early '86, this model is not included in the list I have, though the specs best match the S-281 Flyer. Any explanation there?

3 - In adjusting the spring tension on the Kahler bridges, I could feel the +/- change at the turning of the wrench on #1. On #2, I was less sure
of affect. Is it possible the spring is broken or gone? How do I know? If broken, how to replace?

4 - These are not EMG's, so I'm presuming these are the 3-PU California single coil option. Does that sound correct?

5 - What is the reputation of these particular guitars? What are they worth? Please do not worry about offending Guildzilla with your opinions....

6 - By 1987, Guild ceases to build these models and revamps the whole solid body line (new Liberator, Detonator, but retains the tele-like Roy Buchanan). Anyone know how come?

7 - What year were the last Guild solid bodies built?

Gratitude to all who reply.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello guildzilla,

Right now I'm trying to get ready for my trip to the US and I don't have the time to answer your questions thoroughly. Also, some of these questions cannot be answered with a simple answer. They will be covered in Part II of the Guild Book but I guess you don't want to wait for that.
So, here are some quick (not so thorough) answers. If anybody wants to go into it any further, feel free to do so:

guildzilla said:
In the Guild dating resources, the serial #'s of both are in the S-280/281 column, can anyone explain that?

That's correct. After 1986 these guitars used the same serial number prefix as the S-280/281.

guildzilla said:
the S-261K, built in early '86, this model is not included in the list I have, though the specs best match the S-281 Flyer. Any explanation there?

The reason is your S-261 is probably not an S-261 in spite of what is written on the tag. Too difficult to explain in a nutshell. Sorry! However, it is not an S-281.

guildzilla said:
These are not EMG's, so I'm presuming these are the 3-PU California single coil option. Does that sound correct?

It is possible that they are the California pickups, but they do not necessarly have to be that. They used other passive pickups as well.

guildzilla said:
By 1987, Guild ceases to build these models and revamps the whole solid body line (new Liberator, Detonator, but retains the tele-like Roy Buchanan). Anyone know how come?

The Tele-like Roy Buchanon (aka T-200), which model by that time was called the T-250, was redesigned as well but the basic body style was retained. However, the model wasn't a good seller and it was discontinued not long after that.

guildzilla said:
What year were the last Guild solid bodies built?

That depends on what you consider a solid body, but in 2003 they were still offering the Bluesbird.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

guildzilla

Reaction score
That site has a lot of info I was looking for on Kahlers, Accept2, and I appreciate your post. I had never owned or knowingly played a guitar with this bridge or with a locking nut, but I found it fun to work with and very functional. I like the fine tuners, especially. Great new toys!

Many thanks for your reply, Hans, and also for the fact that it was only after finding your website and its links, that I found this forum last week. I also can't wait to buy your book which I didn't know about until recently.

Reaction score
I just bought a Detonator and I cannot find specs or any information on it. Can someone enlighten me?

thanks

tonepoet

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
ncblues, Detonators are the best Strat style guitar out there (IMHO), I own 5 of them. The bridge PU is a DiMarzio DP103 PAF HB, the single coils are DiMarzio VS-1 PUs. They came with Sperzel locking tuners and a German made Guild branded Mueller trem bridge that actually stays in tune. In their day they retailed at $795 and, I think, were what would be called "Custom Shop" guitars today. Very well made. Early ones did not have a push/pull pot for coil cutting the HB, but most do. About 650 were made.

Have fun,
tonepoet

matsickma

Reaction score
In regard to Detonators...Guild also had Detonator II's which were high end models. The one I had, and regret selling, had neck and bridge EMG humbuckers with a middle single coil active pups. Hardware was gold and the trem was a Floyd Rose with a locking nut. The shape was similar to the standard Detonator model. It also appears that Guild started to issue Detonator models that had change in body shape that looked a little leaner...kind of a cross of a Detonator and Liberator. This version of the Detonator had EMG pickups and came with a Kahler. In also have a fondness for these Guild electrics as they are available at a great price. I have one of the S280/281 strat type 3 single coil models. The single coils have unsightly rectangular bezels. However the pickups sound outstanding. Wish they were on my Strat. One of these days I need to pull them to see who made them.

M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From everything I've seen the S-260/270/280/281/282 quagmire is vast and deep.

I've been stuck it it with these:

1983 S-260:

100_6787.jpg

1986 S-270:

Picture015_zps48b8f336.jpg

1984 S-281:

S-281.jpg

I would think this section will take up quite a large part of Hans Guild Book Part II.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To continue this generation, and the next generation, of solid bodies I'll post these for visual reference:

(All from the Guilds of Grot collection)

1985 S-284 Aviator:

100_6344.jpg

1985 Brian Sezter Bluebird:

guitar003.jpg

1987 Detonator:

100_6353.jpg

1988 T-250:

100_6573.jpg

1988 Liberator Elite:

100_6472.jpg