guild players Van Ronk, Byrd, Eddy, SRV, Buckley, Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks for mixing me in with some folks who can actually play, Darryl.

So, okay, who else has a video they're willing to post? Who else here at LTG has no shame? Or were any of the other of these videos actually by LTG members using an alias?

I'd wait for an answer but I've got a gig!
Catch you afterwards.

Guildmark

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
How about the guys like you who can really play making a CD? You could decide on a tune, somebody lay down a rhythm track, then everybody contributes a solo.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Thanks for mixing me in with some folks who can actually play, Darryl.

Mark,
Is that the straight Guild sound or are you using a flanger, etc.?

Nice sound, and a good mix!

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Mr. P~! The sound is straight - from me anyway. The pedals in the picture are someone else's. I don't use anything but a little reverb, but I had no control over the mix this day. They had me running into the Strawberry Blonde (in the background there) as a monitor, then the signal was DI'd into the PA mixer. It does sound as if the soundman had some sort of seasoning in the mix, but I couldn't tell you what it was. The video was made by simply sticking my Sony camcorder on a tripod about 10 feet in front of the PA speaker column. I recorded the sets of all the performers on this stage during the day's festivities and then edited them with Movie Maker to create a DVD of the event. One of these days I might try to get the whole festival up onto YouTube.

Darryl - the long distance communal recording sounds like a lot of fun! There might be a couple of ways to do it, so let's kick around some ideas. Anyone want to volunteer as the mixmaster?

BTW: the gig at Borders was a blast tonight. It was at the store in my own neighborhood, so there were plenty of neighbors and friends. But the best part was my son (age 12) coming out as my roadie. He's learning how to haul and setup my rig, how to coil the cords and pack it away - and how to grab tips out of the jar in the middle of a song so I can't slap his hand! We always use the cash for burgers on the way home - there's usually at least enough for that. :lol:

Guildmark

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mark,

Don't think twice,!!! The little lady was runnig the posts last night while I was picking the new git. I'm having trouble putting it down. She's a good sport about things like this.

I changed what I was playing to play along with you, I had it nailed for a minute & she didn't notice the two guitars at first. , Then of course I had a bit of trouble with some timing & she caught on. Turned around with a big grin on her face when she realized what was happening.

I'm liking the new guitar a lot, I picked along with Buffy St Marie's Universal soldier last night as well, & couldn't believe it, The new guitar was actually helping things along. Somehow it's not stepping on your performance or Buffy's. it's just singing out real sweet & filling in.
Of course your & Buffy were at a disadvantage since your sound was coming out of a pair of 20.00 computer speakers. But that's another thread. Think Bose. She may let me off for a new home sound system in reciprocation for the new git. Better than the new convertibles she's been looking at.

Some fun!!!

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yo, Jeff!

Are you favoring the CO-1 over the DV-62 on Don't Think Twice? Maybe I've got it all wrong in my mind's ear, but I'm imagining them as two great singers, comparable in style, both complementary, but one male and one female. I'd love to hear it for real! This is a song that a couple guys at the open mic harmonize vocally and add a whole new flavor to it. And another time I did it at Borders in Montclair where the store manager sat in on harmonica and did a great job bluesing it up. I have never had anyone play along on another guitar but it would be a blast!

Mark

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Are you favoring the CO-1 over the DV-62

Actually I am, the C0 1 is light as a feather & noticeably smaller than the DV 62, much more comfortabe to sit down with. Or, as happens on occasion, serenading the lady propped up on my side of the bed.

Overnight the tone seems to have richened somehow, likely because the new strings settled down a bit. Can't imagine the "Opening Up Effect" I've heard & read about changed much in 24 hours.

The C0 1 has the same kind of Sweet "Vibe" as the DV 62, Different sound but it gives me the same feeling when it's sweet. Big, warm, bright guitar sound.

It's loud enough to play with bigger guitars, Maybe not Dred's DV 52 with brass finger picks, might have a little trouble with your 12 string but if you were kind & we were on the same page for most of the song: "Ya sure you betcha it'd sound better than each alone".

Century Bob

Reaction score
I`ve wondered how long it would take before some Seatsniffer videos would show up on there. You gotta get back to Tucson again someday Walter. My friends and I all still have yopur discs in our cars.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Funny Walter......Amazing how fast you switch from the SF III to the X-175 in Are You Going to Be The One.

Which one is the actual recording? I'm guessing the X-175.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pretty darn bluesy rock & roll if you ask me. Seatsniffers, :roll:

Horns are one my guages when I see the band settin up. When I see a horn come out of the case I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a good time.

The guitar player here has some nice grooves on Guild Arch top electrics.

Entertaining to see one cook.

Nice show Walter.

dklsplace

Reaction score
The guitar player here has some nice grooves on Guild Arch top electrics.

Entertaining to see one cook.

Nice show Walter.

In case it isn't clear, the guitar player IS Walter!

Hahahaha......I was just thinking about that "Lorne Green" thread on the old forum the other day. :lol:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bob, I hope we can make it back to Tucson, we had a great time there. No plans as of now (the only U.S. booking we haveright now is the Rockabilly fest in Green Bay in may), but if it's up to me, we'll be back in Arizona soon enough.

West, thanks! Those are Gretsch drums - some vintage Gretsch instruments that were actually put together correctly, are playable without having to re-assemble them, and sound great too!

"Funny Walter......Amazing how fast you switch from the SF III to the X-175 in Are You Going to Be The One.

Which one is the actual recording? I'm guessing the X-175."

Hey Don, those are actually two shows filmed on the same day - and I honestly don't remember from which one the sound was, I'm guessing it was the X175 too. That's my '60 X175 btw, the one I bought from Hans. The '62 is in the other clip. Lorne Greene....:lol:

Guildmark, thanks, and yes, we were in Tucson almost exactly a year ago. My band's been in the U.S. twice so far, and we'll be back.

And Jeff, LOL, yes, that would be me.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.