Guitar humidifiers

Joshua

Reaction score
Hi... I've a simple humidifier which you soak in water every 2 weeks. My guitar seems okay after many years. But if I were to keep the humidifier in the case consistently or needlessly-- would this cause dammage? I would think that most of its humidity would go into the case lining, and the rest could only benefit the guitar.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have kept a Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Humidifier with HTS in the sound hole of my D-25 for 2 years. Every couple of weeks I have to recharge it. I have seen nothing bad from the humidity and by the fact that it runs out every couple of weeks I believe the guitar is slowly absorbing moisture to replace that the guitar lost during the 30 years prior to the humidifier.

It needed recharging every week for the first 6 months and then it slowed down to the current rate of absorption. It must be good.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, or misunderstand it, the two most important aspects of humidity are keeping it constant, and keeping it at 30% at least. (There's also a maximum, but I don't know what it is since I live in Phoenix--it's a dry heave.)

So rather than try to keep a dozen instruments properly humidificated with a dozen inaccurate gizmos, one in each case, I just bought a room humidifier that keeps them all at 40%, and I refill the tank once every couple of months.

I think I paid about $150. But Coastie could make you one out of a crapper with a filter made of panther stuffing.