GUILD X-170N WITH BIGSBY QUESTION

LEFTY

Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum, because I just bought my first Guild guitar, a X-170N (lefty) with a bigsby. I have not yet received it, but I have a question. Does anybody have problems with the wooden bridge and Bigsby causing the guitar to detune?
What lubricant do you recommend (if any)?
My other hollowbody electric is a 1971 Gretsch Country Gentleman (bought new) and I changed the bridge to a floating Gibson tune-a-matic.
I am a subtle Bigsby user anyway.
Advice will be appreciated.
Lefty

Squawk

Reaction score
Welcome, Lefty.

Sounds like the original owner of the X170 added the Bigsby as they came with a rosewood bridge - which is not what I would recommend for a Bigsby. My Starfire III has an aluminum bridge and is excellent - you might find one on ebay, or e-mail our forum moderator (dklsplace) and/or forum guru Hans Moust - both of whom can supply you with a better bridge than you're using.

Out of interest - what did your Country Gentleman come with? I have a mid-60s Gretsch double annie - no Bigsby, but it has the famous Gretsch roller bridge which works great with a Bigsby. Mine is a pre-Baldwin - not sure of yours - but would be interested why you replaced the original bridge.

LEFTY

Reaction score
I am really not sure about the bridge on the X-170, as I have not recieved it yet. I know the bridge base is wood, but the actual bridge may be another material. I have seen other guitars like this online, and believe it is factory (maybe with options). Probably special order being a lefty.
Guild does a really nice job on there Lefties.
The Gretsch is a 71, and the original bridge was just round with grooves, and not individual string adjustments. I changed it to help the intonation, which it did. Mine does not have the string mutes on it. Still a really fine and unique sounding guitar. It sounds best through my 1957 Fender pro, with a little echo. Hopefully I will have the guild in about a week.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Let us know when you get it Lefty. If lube is needed for anything, I'd suggest Big Bends Nut Sauce. Great stuff!

LEFTY

Reaction score
This guitar seems to have the hardware of a X-160 (chrome with bigsby), but has the neck with block inlay, and was listed as an X-170. I had been looking for a nice ES-335, but I saw this and fell in love. I love the single cutaway look, and this one has really nice flame maple. This store sells some pretty high end Jazz guitars, so I don't dought their word.
I play a real mixture bluegrass to Jazz. I think this guitar will have a voice all its own. I have a Les Paul, and love the fatness through a Fender amp.
I look forward to owning a nice hollowbody again.
Thanks for the help.

Squawk

Reaction score
D - I looked at that listing - seller calls it "flat" - from that description and picture it doesn't look like it would fit an archtop.

L - your bridge might be a TOM with a woden base which should be fine.

Also - I have no problem intoning my Gretsch with the round wheel bridge - but I understand some Baldwin-era bridges are not as good as the older ones.

Reaction score
Hi, Lefty. Can I suggest an alternative that's a bit more involved? Get yourself a Schaller tunematic roller bridge. They're readily available at places like "Allparts" and "Stewmac". The bridge is actually designed to be mounted directly on to the top of a solidbody, but you can also modify the base of your rosewood bridge to accomodate it. (You do not want to sink the Schaller bridge posts into the top of your guitar -- you'll ruin it.) The post spacing on the Schaller won't match up with the posts on your rosewood base, so you (or your luthier/repair guy) will have to make some modifications to the base. It's a finicky solution, but the result is really amazing. The Schaller has full string height and string spacing adjustment, and setting intonation is a breeze. Tuning stability during vibrato bends is fabulous and the rollers make the motion of the Bigsby seem buttery smooth. I have an X-170 with this modification, and I'm in the process of completing the same modification for my X-160 Rockabilly.

LEFTY

Reaction score
Squid,
That Schaller bridge looks nice. Where did you buy a base for it?
I don't think the wood bridge is going to do with the bigsby. I guess i would like to keep the original wood bridge unmodified.
thanks,
Lefty