Guild Archtop electric out of production?

LEFTY

Reaction score
I am a newbe so bear with me.
Are the Guild Archtop electric models out of production?
If so what are your feeling about the value of the X series and others in the future. I feel that they are a bargain on the used market at the moment.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Pancho..., er, I mean Lefty,

Last I heard, it's up in the air as to whether or not Guild will resume making starchtops. Given the absurdly low prices on used Guild archtops, I don't see how Guild can profit by making them. Guild makes them better than _ibson, but has to sell them for less, and their used models are so cheap that many people prefer to buy the used ones.

Do you play guitar left handed and steel right handed? Do you know about the Steel Guitar Forum? I have a red Sho-Bud Professional 2X10, 8+4.

Bing k

Reaction score
Correspondence with my inside sales guy indicates to me that the plan is still to reintroduce some of the electrics. When, I don't know.

Darryl makes good points about the marketability of the archtops although I think new product would sell if there were innovations within reintroduction.

With the popularity of used acoustics increasing now that Guild has introduced new and reintroduced past models maybe the same would happen to the electrics?

I for one would like to see models like the Starfire and the Bluesbird brought back. I'm sort of on the fence about weather the line needs any true solid bodys.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bing,

You're absolutely right on all points. Do you know how I can tell? Because I agree with you.

I think it's odd that Guild apparently has a better rep for its flatties than its archies. Guild has to compete against a lot of different flattops (like Cher). But apparently _ibson keeps getting most of the jazz bidness.

LEFTY

Reaction score
Hattie...I mean Darryl,
I play all lefthanded (unfortunantly),
I am an old member of the SGF. A lot of lefty Steel players play right handed steel, and lefthanded guitar. Never seemed like an option to me.
The availability of lefthanded Pedal steels (used anyway) is pretty sparce.
You gotta suffer to play lefthanded.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
You gotta suffer to hear me play.

Hattie is, indeed, one of my nicknames. Along with dork, doofus, etc.
Remember Hilo Hattie, the Hawaiian singer? She's my great granddaughter. And now she's one of West's concubines.

Things are very friendly here. I like the steel forum because I learn a lot there. But some of those guys at the steel forum get a little testy. (I understand Coastie has two of 'em.) I think some of those guys have just come in off the road and are waiting for the speed to wear off. But if I said that over there, I'd get slammed for being unsympathetic to truckers, even though I used to be one.

LEFTY

Reaction score
Darryl,
I agree. There are a lot of Good guys on the SGF, and a few that would probably put a Justin up your a@##. I try to avoid those, and the ones who are there feeding their ego. But for the most part it is the best forum around, period. I just love Guitar, and constantly trying to improve (I have been playing since 1964, and still get a rush from it.) Another forum I occasion is the Clarence White forum since I am a huge fan of him, and the Byrds. It seems sometimes like that forum is a group of West Coast friends who get together to worship him, though. There are some good people on there, however, like Brian who is an electronics genius and builds his own custom effects (first class), and sells them too cheaply.
I thought I would tune in here to get some advice on my first Guild guitar.
These forums allow people with common interest to get together.
For the first 20 years I played steel, I knew and talked to about 5 other players max., Now the possibilities are endless.
cheers,
Lefty

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

Oh Yeah! Flat top my eye.!!
[img:335:421]http://www.bythebaymarketing.com/09-28-06/scan069.jpg[/img]

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

OK. You changed my mind about Cher. She looks like she just tore up Coastie's pink..., uh, panther.

But you'll never change my mind about Gibbon guitars. Except when Emmylou is hold ing one. A guitar, that is.

Charlie Vegas

Reaction score
Bing k said:
Correspondence with my inside sales guy indicates to me that the plan is still to reintroduce some of the electrics. When, I don't know.
There you go again. 100 days till the next NAMM and not a single word about electrics. Sales guys are usually the last to know what's going on. Now if this "correspondence" came from marketing it might have some credibility, although how much I don't know. Donnie Wade ain't no Mike Lewis.

Bing k

Reaction score
Charlie, you'll know when I know. Maybe before I know. About all we on the outside can do is hope for the best.

I would imagine that marketing takes the approach "Don't spill the beans until we have the beans to spill." I don't think spilling "half baked beans" would be wise either.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JB,

Why would they be so high? Why couldn't you take an ax over there, sell it, and pay for your trip? If there is a high import tax, then how do foreign musicians get in and out of Italy?

JB

Reaction score
dear darryl,

I was just talking about the availibility of these products....

The price are really high in italy, that's a matter of fact and it's more interesting to buy a near mint occasion from USA because the dollar is weaker than the euro

JB

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
Look at the prices on Ebay...

Take a look at the Starfires on Ebay right now... Sellers are asking $1600 and up... That's just crazy!

Charlie Vegas

Reaction score
JB said:
This is an italian price list dating from june 2006. As you can see peregrine, paloma, starfires, X150/550 are apparently still made.....
Sorry, but that price list is nothing but vapor-ware. It lists the X550P which as far as we can tell, only 3 were ever made. Maybe the Fender US custom shop will "build to order" for the Italian market, but I really doubt it. You won't find any recently built Guild electrics on a shelf anywhere!

JB

Reaction score
Well darryl i think it's technically possible because few years ago i went in usa to buy some drums articles ( i'm also drummer) because it was cheaper so i presume that you may go to europe with a guitar and sells it.

the problem is to find somebody in europe who will buy your guitar (me :)) .... also it depends if it's an occasion because these prices are for new ones and as i tell you i think it's too expensive for a tone of guitarist in europe and they do the same thing than me, buy in usa or find great occasion in europe.

Also i find this list on the official guild website so i really dunno if these model are stll made . nevertheless it's sure that that prices list dated from june 2006.

Maybe new old stock.....
JB