Fingerboard care

guildzilla

Reaction score
Recently, I downloaded from the Adirondackmusic.net site a copy of "Setup: Guild Acoustic Guitar - Adjustment and Care." I don't know if it was ever official Guild advice, or not, but it reads as if it were. I found it well-written and informative.

It provides the following advice: "While the strings are off the guitar, it's a good idea to clean and seal the fingerboard and bridge. Light Tung oil or lemon oil are fairly traditional sealers. Bee's wax compounds are also excellent. Don't use standard guitar polishes...as they can actually dry out the wood."

In particular, I was very surprised at the suggestion of Tung oil, though I've used that as a wood finish frequently on other stuff.

Do any of you folks use Tung oil to seal your fingerboards and bridges?

Squawk

Reaction score
I use Gerlitz Guitar Honey - it really cleans and conditions rosewood and ebony fingerboard nicely - especially on those used ebay guitars.

I also make a habit of washing my hands well before playing to keep the fingerboards clean.

LEFTY

Reaction score
I have always used lemon Pledge. Probably not the best thing you can use. I also have used lemon oil.
Tung oil though, I wonder if they mean pure tung oil as opposed to something like Formby's which has some polyurthane in it? Seems like that would seal the wood and it would dry out even more.