X-175

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm new to this forum, and I'm also new to Guild guitars. Therefore, I'd love to take advantage of your knowledge to understand these guitars better. I have the opportunity to purchase a X-175 Manhattan from the seventies. This is going to be the first Guild in my collection (Gibsons: Byrdland, ES5 Switchmaster, L4 CES, L5 CES, ES355TD, SG Custom; Heritages: 575 custom 1 p/u, 575 custom 2 p/u's; Fender strat; 1 Martin and 1 Godin). Can anybody explain to me what these guitars are like in terms of playability in all respects? I like archtops guitars and I like playing jazz, but I've gigged with a Guild archtop and these guitars intrigue me very much! Specifically, I would be interested in the differences between the X-175, the X-500 and the X-700.
Thank you so much for addressing my questions.
Silvio

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Silvio,
The differences between the 500 and 175 are mostly cosmetic : the 500 is the upscale version with gold plating, more binding, and fancier woods. From a player/materials standpoint, they're both deep bodied-17" wide hollowbodies with a 24 3/4 scale, a laminated spruce top, laminated maple body, and in the case of the 500, a maple neck, the 175 a mahogany neck.

The 700 is a different guitar with a solid spruce top.

Hans Moust's Guild guitar book is a fascinating read if you're interested in the many aspects of Guild guitars, highly recommended.

Both of my main players are vintage Guild X175's, so needless to say I love them.

Reaction score
Walter:
Thanks fro your reply. Much appreciated.
Is Hans' book something I can normally find on Amazon or do I need to go to a special website?
Silvio