Guild spottings on TV

LEFTY

Reaction score
I guess since I just bought my first guild. I am starting to notice them more. This morning I was watching TV in the Hotel, and spotted four.
The stupid commerical with the guy playing an upside down guild acoustic (please).
Then a 60's Rock CD commercial, which showed John Fogerty playing a Guild (Proud Mary) I knew his bother always playe one, but had never noticed him playing one. Also the Lovin Spoonfull with Zal playing his.
Later I saw a clip of Tom and Dicky Smothers with Tom on his.
Funny how when you own one, you notice them more.
Lefty

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It's funny how that happens. I guess it happens to all of us and it is true of most any "Mark", like Guild, Porche, Hateras, etc.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hateras P? Now you're talkin', but I've always dreamed of having an Ocean SuperSport. 8)

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Glad I spelled it right. I don't even think about thinks that pricey!!

If I had that kind of money I think I would by a different Westerly for each day of the month!!!
8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Don,

You must be close to Lake Michagan, aren't any oceans near you! I assume that's a boat?

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
We must've posted within seconds of each other West. Yeah, I'm about 40 minutes from Lake Michigan, though I think I like the northern part of Lake Huron better. I had a 24 footer with full cabin & midberth sleeper for about 15 years. Some of the nicest getaways & vacations I've ever had!

Had to sell it 2 years into my marriage :?

I'll get there again & my boys will love it as much as I always have!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh Don, I'm so sorry you had to sell her! Maybe it's in the future for you :) !

West

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
John Fogerty with a Guild??? I am a JCF Fan and that is news to me. I thought he was a Gibson LP/Fender Tele guy with a Strat here and there. Martins, Gibsons, and more recently, Taylors for acoustic.

I know his deceased brother Tom played a Starfire 6, his son Jeff said that Tom traded it to a music store in the early '70's.

CK

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Don - you're singing my song. I used to crew on a Pearson 10m in club races. Had a center console fishing boat for offshore here in California, and belonged to two sailing clubs, checked out to skipper anything up to 36'. Then I fell in love with a woman who gets seasick in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Couldn't very well say, "See ya Sunday night, Huck" every weekend, so the boats went the way of the motorcycle. It was about this time I began to re-focus on guitar. :) No regrets!
--------------------------------

I think the word everyone is looking for is ubiquitous. That's the term for noticing something everywhere, especially now that you own one.
It's happened with every vehicle I've owned - and every guitar!

Guildmark

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Don,

You must be close to Lake Michagan, aren't any oceans near you! I assume that's a boat?

West
No West, that is a little bit more than a boat! With twin Cat deisels it becomes a Yacht.

LEFTY

Reaction score
Cypress Knee,
This was a video made in the late 60's on a commercial for "Music of the sixties" or something similiar (selling a collection of 60's music CD's). I had always seen him with the Rickenbacker during this period, or the Black Les Paul custom.
This was a Guild hollow body, single cutaway, 2 pickups and a harp tailpiece, sunburst. Maybe one of Tom's guitars, who knows (well, John does). Strange.
Lefty

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Back to the topic for a moment: I'm sitting here watching a Joni Mitchell documentary on PBS. They just played a snippet of a video from 1967 and she's playing a Guild. Couldn't identify the model, but it was a dreadnaught, plain natural top. Everything else so far has been a Martin. Never saw a Guild in her hands before. Who knew?

Guildmark

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever notice just jhow hard it is to get a good look at the headstock & logo on the guitars on Televison Performances.

Cameramen deliberately avoid clear shots , must be some kind of legal issue.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Jeff- I've wondered myself about the deliberate avoidance of headstock shots on TV. Perhaps some of it has to do with networks refusing to promote a brand without being paid. I've also wondered if the situation would be different if an artist is under some endorsement agreement with a guitar company. Is it possible that the contract might specify that the headstock be plainly shown during the performance? If so, it sure doesn't seem to happen much.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Cypress Knee and LEFTY,

I have seen the the CD TV add you are talking about and yes that is John Fogerty playing a beatiful circa 1973 sunburst Guild M-75. I own one of these that is a bit worn and has a lot of checking. However it is one of my favorites. The M-75 on the video is the hollow body version that was initially issued in 1968 as the M-75 Bluesbird with mini-HB's and upgraded in the early 1970's with the full-size Guild Humbuckers. Outstanding guitar! An all origional Mint M-75 Bluesbird like the one John Fogerty was playing was offered on gbase last month for $1600. I was tempted but delayed and now its gone. I am lamenting that lack of a decision. The M-75 Bluesbird is a pretty rare guitar especially in Mint condition.

M

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
John Denver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUc41gKw0iQ

Some of us chose Guild because of John Denver. I really don't think Guild ever had a more popular "endorsement", though I don't believe it was ever official. Maybe Hans knows.

The woman who posted this mistakenly identified it as a Yamaha. Another fellow pointed out her mistake and she gave him grief about it. I put in a couple cents worth about her response.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mark,

When he was around, I liked his music, but wasn't a huge fan. Now that he's gone, I appreciate his music more and more. I miss John Denver.

West

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Hey Guildmark, is that you on YouTube with the G312 singing "That's What You Get for Loving Me?"

Rock on,

CK