Mmaster volume Starfire: please help with wiring

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
The wiring harness in my recently bought Starfire V is rather messy: electrical tape everywhere, different caps in the two tone pots, a layer of thin white dust (oxide?) on all metal parts, etc.

Will any of you guys post a wiring diagram of their master volume Starfire and/or a photo of the complete harness?

TIA,
Carlo

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi slidincharlie,

The info you are looking for can be found at http://www.guildguitars.com under RESOURCES , WIRING & SWITCHING DIAGRAMS. They posted the configuration for a Starfire VI (6) which should be identical to the Starfire V (5).

M

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
Odd pots and caps value?

Thanks buddy, I've found it.
There are a couple things that make me scratch my head in this Starfire VI diagram:

i) the volume pots are 500k while the tone pots are 200k;
ii) there is a .047 tone cap on the neck pickup, and a .02 tone cap on the bridge pickup.

Is this normal for such model?
My '66 Starfire V has four (apparently stock) pots that read between 500k and 800k, while the tone caps are not stock.

What are the stock values in a '66 Starfire V? I am in the process of cleaning and setting up this guitar, and would like to go with the original values.

Carlo

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Carlo,

I was afraid you may have had an earlier model SF5 with the mini humbuckers. I would expect the 1966 model to be a different setup. Interesting question to know if Guild changed the tone circuits over the years on Starfire 4/5/6 over the years.

I can't help you on your 1966 SF5 but I am sure someone with help you out a LTG.

M

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
For the time being I'm going ahead with that SF VI wiring, using the stock pots and trying different cap values.
I'll see how it works.

Thanks,
Carlo

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wiring apparently okay, but the guitar buzzes...

The SF VI wiring works for my '66 SF V, but the guitar buzzes when I turn either volume pot off. It is dead quiet when I turn the master volume off instead.