Son Seals Guilding

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just joined the forum, so I just watched this - thanks for the link- I love it!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Walrus,

Thank you, my fellow D64 owner. I just heard from Hans asking for the serial number on mine. Maybe you could send him yours, too.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Darryl - already did! Hans asked me a few days ago. Seems he feels they are "more rare" than we think - mine is #KC00006, 1984, blonde front and back - what's yours?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I use D'Addario EXP 16's. They are a bit more expensive, but retain their sound longer - I really like them. I recently put a Tusq saddle and pins on - the original saddle had split in two. Seems a bit "brighter" with this change.

My D-64 is still in good shape, but shows a lot of playing on the pickguard, a few dings, etc. Some fretboard wear, too. I bought it in 1984 new, having no idea it was anything "special", just knowing that I loved how it sounded, and I loved the diamond shaped inlays.

I have never had to have it set up or repaired since I bought it (knock on wood). I just take it out and play it! What a great guitar!

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The A-50 is very interesting - I have it out in my Family Room (vs. "under the bed"), because it takes up so little room - very thin, with a mid-size body. This keeps my wife happy... I must admit that it looks very cool, too, since an acoustic archtop is not what most people see every day.

Playing chords, it is a little "tinny", especially compared to the dreadnought. But it is very sweet playing single notes, solos, etc. - sounds like an electric jazz box. According to the 60's catalog I have, it was Guild's low end archtop, but it is very well made, and this one happens to be in very nice shape. "Antique burst" type finish, all original as far as I know. As with my other guitars, I get them to play, not collect.

Thanks for asking, walrus