So new my paint ain't dry

Tex

Reaction score
It was really nice to do a search for Bluesbird info and find you folks here. I'm 53, living in CA and have been teaching guitar here for the last 10 years. I'm trying to save what hearing I have left so I don't gig anymore, but I'm having a good time showing people how to play - passing the torch so to speak. I have about 35 students each week and teach everything from Bach to Metallica.

I got a flame maple natural finish Bluesbird, S.N. CL002130, back around 2002, though I think it was made in 2000. It's not bookmatched, but when you stare down at it you feel like you are looking at something in 3D. There' a depth to the finish that is just amazing. It had been hanging in the local music store for a long time. After trying it a few times, the feel of thing just stuck in my mind. The neck profile reminded of my best friend's 1968 Les Paul Goldtop re-issue, which to my hand was the finest feeling guitar I have ever had the pleasure to play. I could tell in playing it acoustically that it would probably sound really good thru an amp, and it did. It's similar to an LP, but with different mids. It can leave you thinking it's not quite as loud as a LP, though it is, because the top and bottom ends are awsome and it has this super fine presence. So I sold a bunch of stuff and bought it. But what really got me was the first time I recorded direct. I did a solo break direct for a tune on a local artist's demo and got this unique tone somewhere between a LP and a Strat. It's hard to describe cuz I have never gotten a tone like that before. I got really nice feedback from people that heard it and feel like I got a signature tone for meself.

Such a fine instrument and sad that Fender discontinued them. When I let Les Paul and PRS players have a go at it they freak.

And speaking of freaks, Happy Halloween! I got to go. Nice to meetcha.

TEX

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Tex! Nice to have people in the group with your kind of experience and skills. You're likely to get a lot of questions! And you fit right into our predominant geezer demographic!

Your tag line reminded me of a homily I learned just a couple of years ago: "Hard work beats talent anytime talent doesn't work hard." Wish someone had told me that a lot earlier.

See ya 'round, Tex.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ah, an instructor in the fold. Welcome aboard mate. Nice to have another Bluesbird fan.

Mine is a 1999. I took it to the electric session of our company guitar club last Wednesday, and the instructor just commented about five different times about how great it sounded, even through a $40.00 amp.

Here it is.

[img:300:400]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/p8c8e7c5d866204fc1710027b07cd2488/efa7c56d.jpg[/img]

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bing k said:
I can't even put the LPs in the same class as the Bluesbird. The Guild is so much more guitar.

Hey Bing K,
Have you ever compared the Bluesbird with P90's to the model with Seymore Duncan Humbuckers? I am very interested in the difference.

Bing k

Reaction score
I guess the difference would be in a word: the humbucker model has more "metal" in the tone.

Not to say that it is made for metal music although opened up it would be great at it. It beats the humbucker guitars available out there for heavy rock, straight rock and heavy country.

Now I 'm going to contradict myself and tell you that's what I use my P90 for, rock, heavy rock and heavy country. :?

When I made the choice for the P90 I was thinking (and still do) that some day I would be able to move in to a "Wicks" to cover the ground that I now use a series of Fenders for.

If I'm going to play blues or bluesy rock it's the P90

Reaction score
I agree

I didn't really notice the "hotness" of the humbuckers until I A/B'd them with the P90s: all other factors the same, the Duncans just screamed; so much more gain. That's not to say that the P90s aren't "hot" in their own right.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

I guess I will need to be performing a lot more to justify a second Bluesbird just for the different pick ups.

Of course there is always the, "I just wanted it!" excuse!!
:wink:

cmsjr

Reaction score
Hi Tex, I'm over in San Leandro across the bay. I have a P90 BB like Bing K's. It's a real sweet guitar. There's something about that chambered body that really makes it sing. You can feel the body resonate like a hollow body guitar does.

I will say that the P90s in my BB are very hot! Definately the hottest pickups I have in any of my guitars. But roll the volume back a bit and it cleans up nicely.

Anyway, glad you like your Bluesbird!

[img:800:600]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/teleclarkster/BB002.jpg[/img]

Tex

Reaction score
Hey Darryl

Jimmy Rivers! I was just listening a week or so ago. If I'm not mistaken, Jim Campilongo discussed having met Jimmy at his home. I'll see if I can find the link. It was a very nice article. Thanks also for the tip on Billy Jack Wills. I was unable to hear any samples due to having iTunes as my default player. I'll try again.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I think Jimmie lives in Plasteredville. (Placerville.) When I was a kid a half century ago, they had a mannequin hanging on a gallows in keeping with the town's original name of Hangtown.

Tex

Reaction score
hey to cmsjr,
nice BB P90. I know what you mean about the chambers. First time I played one the acoustic sound alone made me want it. And P90's are so fine they bring a tear to my one good eye!