help...worth buying 1954 x-175???

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
Hi. I have a chance to buy a used Guild x-175, from 1954, which I'm told is the first year in production. The price is $1500.00 Canadian, but is probably negotiable. Sounds great, but...the tuners have been replaced by Grovers, and the neck has apparently been refinished, and there is not pickguard (not sure there were any on them in 1954) but all else is apparently perfect with the guitar. (I will be getting pictures/seeing it in the next few days).
Does anyone think this is still a good deal, with a potential for resale if I am not happy with it? Also, I prefer humbuckers, so I am wondering if there are any replacement pickups that are humbucking, or noiseless single coils that would fit into the x-175, without having to alter the guitar in any way?
Thanks, Michael

john_kidder

Reaction score
I'd sure be interested in seeing the pictures. Just a personal hankering for those old jazz boxes - they did have pickguards at that time, I believe. Don't know how much difference to the value the Grovers will make. And the refinished neck - I guess it will depend on how well it was done, etc. If it were mint, then C$1500 would be low. With the mods, it's up to the market.

Reaction score
Yup, these can be wonderful guitars. The Franz single coils are very popular among a small group of loyalists -- give them a try before you rip them out. P90-ish, but with less mids and lots of bite.

Hard to say about value, given the mods -- depends on how it looks. Could be a great deal. If it plays well and sounds good, it's definitely not a bad deal.

The Grovers are not a big deal, but they sure are ugly compared to the originals.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Super Dave,

Grab it. (The guitar, that is.) But if you take out those P 90's, I 'm sending Three-Finger Louie and Guido the Gouger to pay you a visit.