Fed Ex Claim

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I sent a dreadnougat from Arizona to Tennessee by Fed Hex, and it arrived with a broken neck. The Fed Hex nuts paid me the insurance in full, $800. But they haven't said what they will do with the guitar: if they will pick up the broken guitar and sell it for salvage, or leave it with the guy who got it, or have the guy who got it send it back to me. What do they usually do in a case like this?

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
What do you want them to do with it? I don't know their policy (which might be on the waybill or on their website), but I think I'd give them my instructions and leave it to them to tell me something different.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think I'd give them my instructions

Good advice, the guitar probably legally belongs to Fed Ex or their insurance subsidiary. Same kind of a deal as total loss on a car. I'd expect somewhere in Fed Ex is the Salvage division, think of it, all the guitars, lap tops, & everything else Fed Ex breaks accumulated in one place & periodically liquidated. I'll bet that's where all the F 30's went.

What are they gonna get for it at auction, even if it was a Martin or a Guild with a broken neck 25.00, 100.00. Doesn't matter, it's gonna cost them 3 or 4 times more than they'll recover & they should know it. Smartest corporate policy would be to have the cleaning crew toss it in the dumpster.

You want it back, call them up & ask them to bring it back. After all they did break your guitar. You'll find out soon enough if they have a different policy.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Completely right, Jeff. And isn't it just sort of beyond-belief bizarre how the market economy dictates that a company, trying to generate value for its shareholders, should just toss away such an asset?

Pike

Reaction score
If you insured it, it's yours. You should get it back, I did.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had the same thing with UUPS, they paid the claim in full and gave me back the guitar.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Yes, it would cost them more to sell it than what they'd get for it. Maybe they don't get involved unless they could sell something for a couple of Gs. And it's better customer relations to let you have the low price stuff and get it fixed with your own time and money.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The guy I sent it to was going to consign it for me. I would have paid him 20%. Since Fed Ex also refunded the shipping cost, I made about $200 more than I would have if they hadn't broken it.
So I gave it to the guy on the other end so he can get it fixed and sell it and make a nickle for all of his trouble wrestling with Fed Ex. He's already put in time and deserves a buck, and he's a guy I want to keep doing business with (so there's some selfishness here on my part).

So everybody wins--me, him, the guy who fixes it, and even Fed Ex. (If they took it, had it fixed, and sold it, they'd lose $. )

And we all lived happily ever after. Which usually isn't the case when UUUUPs, Fed Up, or Big DHL break something.

------------------