Fred McDowell

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,
What kind of guitar is Fred playng in the first cut?

Jeff,
Do you know when John cut "You Got To Walk"? I'm wondering about the evolution of that tune and "Reverend Mr. Black."

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where it was I found the Bio for John Hurt. Probably in the liner of a CD . I'll look.

I do remember reading, someone finally decided these old Blues guys was dying off pretty quick & their art hadn't been recorded. They went looking for them & John Hurt was "Discovered" & brought to the big City, New York, I believe. One of the perks he was offered was his choice of guitars from a nice shop,

According to the biographer, He chose an inexpensive Guild. I was hoping to find him playing that Guild on You Tube.

Guild or no, when you watch these old blues guys play you sure enough see roots of popular music.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry Darryl, can't help.

John Hurt recorded 13 tunes for Okeh in 1928, but when his records didn't sell in any great numbers, and because he didn't set much store on a musical career, he went back to the land.
Fortunately for us, he was tracked down in 1965, still living in Avalon, MS where he'd been in '28. By this time he was over 70, and his musical dexterity on the delightful recordings he made after his "rediscovery" never ceases to astound me.

A similar thing happened in the case of Bukka White.
Two blues enthusiasts (John Fahey was one) wrote a letter to Bukka White (Old Blues Singer) c/- General Delivery, Aberdeen, Mississippi in 1963. Apparently, a relative of White's was working in the post office and forwarded the letter to him in Memphis. Thus the resurrection of Bukka White.

And let's not forget Son House. Rediscovered in 1964 by three enthusiasts, one of whom was Alan Wilson of Canned Heat. The Blind Owl actually "taught" Son how to play Son House, since he hadn't played guitar in a very long time.

Personally, I'm so very pleased that these old guys, and others, received some recognition and rewards for their immense talents, and enriching my life.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bukka kept playing all that time, didn't he?

I remember trying to learn "Candy Man" way, way, way back when he was doing folk festivals.

I used to have a record of Fred McDowell's called "I Do Not Play No Rock and Roll." On one of the songs he puts on an ad for himself to do farm work.

Do you have Fahey's live in Tazmania album? I guess any mania will do.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bukka recorded 14 songs in 1930, and recorded again in 1940 after his release from Parchman. Then disappeared until his rediscovery in 1963.

I bought one John Fahey album, "I Remember Blind Joe Death" (I think), and was totally bewildered by it.

"I Do Not Play No Rock 'n' Roll" YEAH !!!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
A similar thing happened in the case of Bukka White.
Two blues enthusiasts (John Fahey was one) wrote a letter to Bukka White (Old Blues Singer) c/- General Delivery, Aberdeen, Mississippi in 1963. Apparently, a relative of White's was working in the post office and forwarded the letter to him in Memphis. Thus the resurrection of Bukka White.

Personally, I'm so very pleased that these old guys, and others, received some recognition and rewards for their immense talents, and enriching my life.

Big Joe Williams, just plain too cool. Thanks for the link, keep em coming. Nice piece of heritage.

I read references to Bukka T a while back & then again when I read BB King's book.

Somewhere in my old 33 1/3 LP pile is an Album from the 60's "Green Onion" by Booker T & the MG's. Always was curious if there was any relationship. After researching I don't think so.

No matter, I appreciate Coastie steering this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdj970vqyOU