Need Reverb tank for a Guild Thunder 1 RVT

Reaction score
Wher can I get the corrct reverb tank for a Guild Thunder 1 RVT?
Regards, Glenn

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Champlifier,

I'll try and get you some info here. Do you have the old PAN that you are are trying to replace or is it missing?

What color tolex, grill cloth and S/N is your amp? When you look inside is the extra reverb amp attached to the amp housing (when viewed from the rear of the amp the reverb amplifier is on the right side) with a seperate circuit board or is it all contained within the same housing as the non reverb amplifier section?

matsickma

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I have two of these amps and one of them has a good, working reverb tank. The tank is 16-3/4" long and has the number 6507 stamped in ink on the center of the tank. I can email pictures at your request.
Reagards, Glenn
389507079QRCDwG_th.jpg
[/url][/img]

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Champlifier,

It looks like you have most of the info you need-it just needs to be extracted. Can you pull the PAN from the bad one and look inside where the reverb springs are to see if it says Accutronics or Gibbs? If it is Gibbs there is going to be a letter marked somewhere on the reverb housing that hold's the springs. Often it is on the back side and is hard to see. Use a mirror to identify it. If it says Accutronics then record any numbers. In any event post your results and I should be able to help you. I think the number stamped on the outside of the reverb PAN was for Guild: the numbers weren't recognized by the tank manufactures.

Also, the image of your amp suggests that the front grill cloth was replaced. Is that true? It may have been the lighting so send me your pictures.

Additionally are both of your amps the same color and style? Can you provide S/N info? The S/N are marked on the back of the amp housing and on the Guild label affixed to the inside of the cabinet. Check to see if both S/N match. I am trying to assemble info on the amp Serial Numbers. If you perfer you can email the S/N info.

Thanks,
matsickma

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Champlifier,

I checked out the two Thunder 1 RVT amps I own for reverb PAN info. One Thunder 1 is a black 1965 model and the other is a Beige 1967 model. Both amps use a Gibbs Model F PAN.

A way to get one of these is to contact Sound Enhancment Products, Inc. (accutronics@sepigroup.com) for this reverb tank. The person you want to talk to or email for expert advise is Cal Shuett (cal@sepigroup.com).

We are all familiar with Accutronics reverb tanks. I beleive Gibbs, a Hammond company, invented the modern reverb tank as we know it. The Hammond Organ company figured out back in the 1930's that they could sell more organs if the organs had the reverb sound that many people heard from the naural ambient reverb of performance halls. The quest to find an efficient way to produce this sound was on. I believe, as the story goes, that Gibbs figured it out and then the Hammond company purchased them. Eventually Accutronics came along and became another supplier of reverb tanks eventually being the dominant supplier.

In a conversation I had with Hal Shuett a few years ago he advised me that he could replace some Gibbs tanks. He was the one who told me to look for the Letter model designation for the Gibbs tanks. He also told me that Gibbs records about the PAN designs was pretty poor.

The price of a tank is probably less than $40.

Thunder Amp reverb tank mounting....

Over the years I have seen two mounting orientations for the reverb tanks on Guild Thunder amps. The most common is with the Tank laying flat on the bottom of the cabinet. In some instances Guild mounted the tank on to the lower baffel board of the cabinet. Both of my current Thunder amps have the tanks on the bottom of the cabinet.

When you check out the accutronicsreverb.com web site you will find a lot of info. Interesting you find that specific reverb tanks are designed to mount in various orientations. I don't know if the Gibbs tanks have a preference for a mounting specific orientation. The simple letter code systems used by Gibbs doesn't look like it offers a variety of mounting orientations.

Hope this works for you,

matsickma