Klipsch Computer Speakers

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw these speakers in a pawn shop several months back, stopped in yesterday & they were still there, offered him $50 & he took 65.

Turns out it was a darned nice improvement over the cheapo's we were using before. . I've been listening to internet radio all morning & really diggin the difference. The little subwoofer has a handy gain & puts out nice geezerly bass at low volumes

No big deal, made in China stamped right on the back. Looked em up on the net after the fact. Can't identify definitely what model they are.

[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p0902f077a9bba4429488acbb3e6acdc2/ec1bbaaf.jpg[/img][img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/pc495f2abf34c8b1ee6221210003a712e/ec1bbafd.jpg[/img] Oh yes, Grampa has the duty today, had to wait till I got the little sunbeam down for a nap to check in.

[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p474150f3e51f11d1dbcb7e2c28f7a90b/ec1bba60.jpg[/img][img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p42df21e517c1956b6f3b220ad6217a99/ec1bba27.jpg[/img]

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
You got a deal Jeff!

That is the ProMedia 2.1 set. Retails for $149.99.

Specs
* 200 watts of real-world music power drive two satellites and a vented 6.5" subwoofer
* 32-20,000Hz frequency range
* 106dB maximum output capability
* Satellites feature 0.75" MicroTractrix™ tweeters and 3" midbass drivers
* Connects easily to virtually any source: two-channel soundcards, or any stereo mini-plug equipped device
* Headphone jack

I have those with my computer. Computer speakers don't get much better. My first job was as an Engineer for that company.

:wink:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
P,

Thanks for the response, I hadn't noticed the headphone jack & probably never would have.

There are two jacks, one's obviously for the headphones, what's the other one. Line out ??

[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p35fe2c53ff64a827984605fd045f1140/ec1b81f3.jpg[/img]

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mr. P ~ said:
That is the line in, where you can plug in MP3 players and such like.

Way cool, I couldn't figure why they would have two outputs. These little speakers have to be pretty OK. They have me enjoying Dulcimer music. :roll:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting article,

Wikpedia says an initial application for Klipsch was Church sound management. Makes me wonder just maybe some of the vintage Klipsch stuff might work in an amatuer home studio.

I've been looking at vintage Bose & similar speakers & such recently. Almost dropped 1200 a few days ago on a craigslist deal but when the seller demo'd the stuff it seemed you had to turn the volume up uncomfortably loud to get the things to perform.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Do you still look for stuff like we did in the old days P. Things like THD and discrete circuitry?

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Those are good speakers for there price range. The ones Jeff picked up are in a completely different class.

Yeah West, the THD is still important, it is just way more common to find good THD available, even in budjet speakers.

Pike

Reaction score
Yes, Jeff's are much better. But you don't always get that lucky.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Deals are there to be had in many places. So far the only real deals I've come away from pawn shops with are tools.

But I did get THESE last year on shopgoodwill for $9. Had to come up with a power supply & as luck would have it, the power supply is identical to a readily available laptop ps.

A good set of speakers on the pc is a must these days.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I subscribed to Smart Computing for a while and I almost always agreed with their reviewers. I would like to know what they mean by "Planar Focus"

The Klipsch speakers are a little over-kill with respect to power, but you will never drive them into distortion sitting in front of them (and keep your ear drums).

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Do you still look for stuff like we did in the old days P. Things like THD and discrete circuitry?

Huh !!!. Trust me old buddy, in the old days we didn't shop nothing like what is happening today. Last time I shopped for sound equipment I took my Spec 5 savings down to the Base Exchange at Camp Casey near the village at Tongduchon & filled up a cart with selections from TEAC, Sansui, Pioneer, Akai & others. Actually, I wish I still had the TEAC reel to reel.

There wasn't much confusion on 2.1, 5.1, or 6.gazillion, & for darned sure a guy didn't have to spend much time choosing between LCD or plasma display.

Compatibility wasn't much of an issue, just plug it all together with a few wires & light up. Sheesh, freaking tuners these days are unbelievably complex. Darned things have more memory than my first computer, way more.

Every time I get close to making a deal I feel like a deer in the headlights.

I feel much more optomistic now that I lured ya'll into this thread.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D I remember when the reel-to-reel was the only way to go. I rember wanting Macintosh equipment so bad I could cry, just couldn't afford it. On my home unit, I finally decided about 12 years ago to buy all Yamaha equipment and some huge Infinity towers. They still sound fabulous to this day. I used to use some 30 year old Norman Labs for my rear speakers, but don't have room for them anymore....still got them in storage though. The Yamaha receiver has something like .003 THD and is all discrete circuitry. It's got something like 60 watt per channel output and just blows away Sony receivers with 100 watt output, with very, very little distortion.

All the 3.1, 4.1, 6.1 stuff is beyond me Jeff, I think they're just referring to the number of channels.

West

Squawk

Reaction score
I still have my original Cerwin-Vegas I bought when I bought my house - exactly 30 years ago. They still sound great. I did a surround system with new components purchased from the then-newly opened Sony Outlet Store about 20 years ago. I lost interest in high tech audio when it became to complex and competitive to understand - besides, my system sounded great (and it still does).

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:D

All the 3.1, 4.1, 6.1 stuff is beyond me Jeff, I think they're just referring to the number of channels.

West

The 2.1, 4,1 etc does refer to channels.
2.1 is 2 channels with a sub
3.1 is left, center, and right with a sub
4.1 is what we used to call Quad with a sub
5.1 is Quad with a center front and a sub
6.1 is Quad with a front and rear center with a sub
yada, yada, yada

It is home theather stuff designed for movie output, since most music cds are just stereo. Movie DVD's give all the seperate channels so the jet sounds like it flew over your head!