Laney acoustic amps

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The latest Acoustic Guitar magazine (the January issue) has a bunch of stuff relevant to LTG, as has been noted elsewhere in the forum. There's an article on determining whether you need a neck reset; their monthly guitar give-away is for a couple of Guild CV1 models; they include descriptions of G7 capos; and now I discover another relevant topic. Bing K posted this URL in answer to an inquiry from Graham about Guild models. http://www.guitarsofmontana.com/feature.html In the background are models of Laney amplifiers. It so happens the AG issue has a full page ad of one of these! I have to admit I am not familiar with this brand. What can you tell us about them, Bing? Price/Performance gauge? Stuff like that. We're intrigued!

Bing k

Reaction score
Which model is the ad in the magazine about?

Laney is based in the UK. They are some of the best amps I've ever played for both electric and acoustic.

The best way to look up the specs would be the Laney site.

I like these amps.

We have performers using them as complete systems. They plug a mic in and their guitar in and go to work.

Great for small clubs and coffee house or church sized venues all by themselves.

We use an A1 on stage for all our acoustics. We plug the DI in to the Mackie VLZ with an XLR cable and adjust accordingly.

Here's a link to the the acoustic models.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_cat.php?catid=5

In keeping with the spirit of the forum I'd rather you emailed me for prices.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Either of you know of a good tube acoustic amp? Rivera is the only brand that comes to mind. Are Genz-Benz digital or tube?

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks, Bing - for the info and the reminder :oops: .

The amp in the ad is the A1. Sounds like a versatile amp and an option for comparison to the Fender, Marshall, and other acoustic combo amps.

I'll check out the website.

Thanks, again!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Either of you know of a good tube acoustic amp? Rivera is the only brand that comes to mind. Are Genz-Benz digital or tube?

West,

I have been told, a couple times, tube amps are best for electric guitars & acoustics sound best with Solid State.

I've been told things that weren't true in the past, maybe this is one of those things.

Bing k

Reaction score
Jeff, I tend to agree with you although new technology may change all our minds someday.
It's the pickups for acoustic that are making the difference today I believe.
The age old problem of getting an acoustic to sound acoustic plugged in.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've got a high dollar under saddle pickup in the DV72 that I don't use. I just "mike" the thing. It sounds very artificial plugged in, but through a mike, it sounds like a loud acoustic. I'd probably do just as well with a PA system...............................is that still what they call them? :oops: :D

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
They do, indeed, West. I have a couple of electric guitar amps, but I don't own an electric guitar (long, boring story). I run my acoustics through my PA. It's a Yamaha mixer, powered by a Crown amplifier. The speaker cabs I built myself using some old 12" and 5" drivers that were in my brother-in-law's old quadrophonic hi-fi. No identification at all on them - no specs, brand, dates - nothing. My friends tell me the sound quality is good, though, and it works for my coffee house gigs. I am strongly hoping Santa got my letter for a couple of DI's. I believe I can improve the sound by running to the low impedance inputs. I'll let you know.

Sometimes, though, a gig does not call for anything but an amp with guitar and mic channels. Maybe if a bonus check appears in the next 12 months....

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey Mark,
My memory says your home made speakers are quite nice. With the no-name speakers they probably don't have a lot of dynamic range, but for your coffee house gigs they are just fine and very nicely priced I assume. I think you will like the changes the DI boxes are going to make. I just bought two new ones for church, and I got the Radial brand. One passive and one active using phantom power from the board. They are pricey but nearly indestructible and very clean.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-JDI-MK3-Passive-Direct-Box?sku=153902

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-J48-MK2-48V-Phantom-Power-Active-Direct-Box?sku=153904

West,
The reason electric players flock to the tube amps is the warm distortion that is available. Solid state amps were first designed to allow for more power and lower distortion (since they were first intended for the PA or Home Audio use). So if you are looking for an amp and not a PA, then the solid state acoustic amp is the way to go, because you do not want distortion for the typical acoustic application.

Bing,
I agree with your opinion of the Laney amps. I hope I get to spend some more time with one soon. 8)