Open mics

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I could convince myself forever that I'm "not ready" (and I really am not ready yet), but I now have a goal of getting out to a joint that's about an hour from me to air 3 of my own crappy songs & a cover before year's end. At least I think that's the format... 4 songs/15 minutes.... something like that.

Any suggestions or advice?

I'm thinking of using either the D25 or the Martin 000-15. Both have similar Thinline pick ups. I'll probably make a final decision based on the song selection. At this point, I fully intend to include a snappy new number entitled "DV52".

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey fungus, I don't know you or your ability but I give you full marks for seriously considering this. To have a little set list in mind that you think you can pull off is fabulous.

To be honest, doesn't everyone who picks up their guitar think of playing for a crowd, big or small?

I do.

We're going away for an extended weekend in March, four couples total and I want to bring my guitar and play for them. And I suck right now.

West just pulled off a gig and I think he was real pumped before during and after.

If you're like me you'll be thinking of all of the difficult parts that you may fumble over, but how many people have you seen play that you can specifically point to their mistakes? I would think that most people going to a place where live music is happening are already in a good mood looking forward to whatever the musicians have to offer.

I say go for it and play like no one's listening.

Graham

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:)
When I was in my very early 20's, a good friend, and the guy who first introduced me to Guild acoustics, played weekends at a nightclub in my area. On occasion, when he took a break, I'd get up and play. I never felt I was very good and still don't. Hadn't played publicly in 27 or so years.

The past few years, my wife and I have gone to listen at a local Books-a-Million, at an "Open Mike"....the call it a "Bluegrass Jam" Anyone can play. Well, long story short.....most of these folks aren't real good.....but they sure were haing fun and it was great fun listening to them.

About 6-8 months ago, my brother, sisters and I had to put my mother in an assisted living center. It was traumatic for her, and us. Anyway, the activity director, before I knew who she was, was getting out of her truck with a guitar case one day, and we started talking. After I told her I had a few Guild acoustics, she said...."You're in, once a month we play here, and we need another guitar and some fresh songs". About the same time, Drednut, here at LTG had been talking about how much he got out of playing nursing homes. A few of the other guys here play'em too. I think Mr. P and Jeff both play nursing homes too.

That broke the ice. I was a nervous wreck, but I gave it hell. I was invited back, and have since played the "Bluegrass Jam" at Books-a-Million. After all of this, I'm convinced that no matter how bad you are at these things, there's always someone worse :lol: . It's all been great fun, and I've had to find a way to justify the Guild collection :p . All kidding aside, the nursing home stuff is really far mare rewarding than I ever dreamed it could be. Those poor folks are sitting there bored to tears, and anything you can do to break their routine is appreciated.

You guys will do just fine at an open mike, just have a couple of glasses of wine before you get up there the first time......I did :twisted: .

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
I say go for it and play like no one's listening.

Graham

... because they're probably not! :D

My Dear Guild Brethren,

This may well wind up the longest post in the forum, but you have touched on a subject near and dear to me. Going to an open mike is a great way to get over stage fright, exercise your chops, test new material, and make some wonderful friends. Mind you, I was a card-carrying member of the AF of M for eight years, and it still required screwing up some courage. So kudos to you for taking this step!

My reinsertion into the ranks of public players (not pubic players, thank you) began two years ago. I wanted/needed to find a place to play. Sunday morning alone wasn't scratching the itch. And, if you are a geezer, you begin to realize that you may not always be able to do this. So, it came to me - as long as I can do this, how can I not do this. A guitar player I worked with in the seventies is nearly seventy now himself. The guy was an excellent guitarist who could play pretty much any style very well. He recently developed Parkinson's and macular degeneration. He can't control his hands and he is losing his sight. I'm gonna get in as many licks as I can before anything like that happens to me.

I did a web search locally and found a couple of open mikes near home. Started by just going to listen, get the vibe, learn their rules and culture, try the chimichanga. The second time I took my axe. Nervous, out of practice, using unfamiliar amplification, but did my 3 songs. This group was small then, but friendly and very supportive and non-threatening. They applauded. I kept going - for two years now - every Tuesday.

What I've learned since then:
Everyone in the audience wants you to do well. Believe it.
The jitters stop after you start playing.
You can only get better if you keep going.
Even if you suck, if it's a good open mike they'll applaud like you're Tommy Emmanuel. Savor it, share it, and return it. And believe it if you want to. It is a little about feeding your ego, if you're honest with yourself. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer to call it "self-esteem".

Acoustic Guitar had an article about playing open mikes recently - I'll try to find the issue. Everything they said in that article is true.

In the last year or so, as I've traveled for business, I've always gone to http://www.openmikes.org before I get to town. Most open mikes will have an axe to loan you. I've played in Dayton, OH and Atlanta, GA, and - if I could've gotten out to the joint - I would've played one in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. It's kinda like going to church when you're out of town so you can keep your Sunday School perfect attendance pin. Always had a geat time!

Here's the proof: http://www.kcandrevdave.com/TrolleyBUZZPages/September012005/September012005B No Guild on site, but a nice Taylor 614CE loaned by Reggie "The Wizard" Stone.

The local open mike I attend is called Mo'Phat Tuesday.
You can the story about the name at their website.

A while ago our open mike's host asked all the regulars to help celebrate his wife's birthday by including at least one song about flying in their set (she's a pilot). I recorded all the performances (40 songs!) that night and posted them up to http://www.soundclick.com/mophattuesdayopenmike . There's also a video from this past summer and a few songs recorded in a studio by one of the guys. If you have to sign up, at least it's free!
Click on the music link there and listen to a few songs. Then see if you don't believe you can do as well as anyone else!! :lol:

Playing there got my chops and courage up enough to audition for the Borders Books circuit. Now I'm playing Saturday nights 2-3 times a month for a couple hours in the coffee house at some of those prominent bookstores. If I get good enough, I'm gonna try for an assisted living facility - hoping they'll give me a discount when the time comes!

Play well. Play often. Break a leg!!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Nursing homes aren't bad Mark, your ego just has to be able to handle all of the phone numbers thrown your way :wink: .

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Oh, I've played, 'em, Westenheimer! My old man was a hospital administrator who ran them for 38 years.

It's when they start throwing panties that it gets a little creepy.
"Hmm.m..m. Were they from that cute little candy-striper, or the blue-haired babe with the oxygen tank?"

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Criminy Mark, you look ten years younger. No Kidding, I got so excited I turned off the internet radio so I could listen & was sorely disappointed.

No audio, just the Glamour shot. Very cool & did you guys see the chicks !! Look at all the chicks !!! :roll:

[img:220:249]http://www.kcandrevdave.com/TrolleyBUZZPages/September012005/090105PMark.JPG[/img] [img:220:215]http://www.kcandrevdave.com/TrolleyBUZZPages/September012005/090105zLyndseyNatalie.JPG[/img] [img:160:230]http://www.kcandrevdave.com/TrolleyBUZZPages/September012005/090105StacyRenee.JPG[/img]

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I want to know what the heck that is in his hands? Starts with a T....um Trevor...no........Thomas.....no, well I assure you, that ain't no GUILD!

And Mark, Mark, don't ever try to sell me on the "Do it while I can excuse".....judging from your audience, I believe you....do you?

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that can be another benefit of getting out to play. The open mike with all the chicks is at the Trolley Stop restaurant in the Oregon District of Dayton, Ohio. That's a very cool, old part of the city. There were, indeed, many fair female patrons. And I was easily the oldest geezer in the place. What makes it so easy to converse with all that pulchritude is my supreme confidence -- I am supremely confident that I have absolutely no chance in hell of scoring with any of them! So I can chat them up honestly and jovially without any fear of rejection or disappointment.

As far as the Seamstress, or Tailor, guitar in the photo, I had to settle for what I was loaned. (sigh) I hadn't yet read all the cool airline hints on how to take a guitar as carry-on luggage, so I had to depend upon the kindness of strangers.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Guildmark said:
In the last year or so, as I've traveled for business, I've always gone to http://www.openmikes.org before I get to town. Most open mikes will have an axe to loan you.

Thanks so much, guys. You've turned this into quite a thread, and I truly appreciate the support and inspiration from all of you.

Mark, I've already spent 40 minutes on the openmikes.org site. That is HUGE. I travel for work constantly and already found places in NC and NY (two frequent spots) that I had no idea about even though I've done some previous googling. By the way, carrying acoustics on board these days is tougher than ever. I don't even try it unless I'm traveling midday & midweek and if I know the passenger loads are light. The Little Martin comes in very handy for travel though.

Graham, you can't be any worse than I am. I own an arsenal of guitars because collecting and learning is my midlife crisis... it could be much worse especially since playing has been so therapeutic. I am self taught, and I began 3.5 years ago at the age of 35. It's been tough learning, but I don't push myself too hard in terms of aspiring to be a great guitarist. If I can craft simple folk, rock and pop songs and at some point play live in a loud rock band as a fair rhythm guitarist, I'll meet all of my goals.

Thanks again everyone- I'll report back after I take the plunge.... should be within the next few weeks.

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
We used to do a bunch of flat pickin' at the beach. We were always welcome at the beach parties. Good Times!

Back then We did a few "fractured" Beach Boys, and America tunes (and others) that We butchered, with Our own lyrics.

Wish I could go back in time for a few days.......I had some fun, and the memories are forever!

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
I only play for family and friends Mike and it's taken a lot of years before I would even do that. I did have one experience many years ago, late 70's. Some friends and I, for lack of nothing else better to do, put a 4 piece thing together and did the Air Force Talent show at Cannon AFB, NM where we were stationed. The talent was with the other three. The lead player and singer loaned me his Guild Bass and I put down some simple bass runs and didn't dare add to the vocals. We opened the second half of the contest with Good Golly Miss Molly and Twist and Shout. The audiance (probably at least a couple hundred) response is something I'll never forget. Screeming and yelling and dancing in the Isle. What an ego rush. Yea, it took a lot to get up there but the reward was well worth it. We took first place instrumental group and had 3 gigs walk up to us after the show. We all got orders for distant lands before we could ever perform again in public.

When I started teaching myself, more years ago than I want to mention, I got into a very bad habit of trying to be too perfect. If I made a mistake, I would stop, start over and try to work through it. Very difficult habit to break. Quoting Jorma Kaukanen again, "if you make a mistake just keep right on playing, chances are no one picked up on it anyway". he goes on to say that sometimes when he makes a mistake, when he gets to that part of the song, he makes the same mistake again on purpose to make people think he meant to do it to start with. :) Probably the sheepish grins at Jack when they perform live.

There is some very good stuff here from guys that have or have had the guts to get up there. Go for it, the rewards are many.

good luck, let us know how ya do.

Bing k

Reaction score
We all sit around and noodle for hours by our selves in the living room and generally have a pretty good time doing it. But music was meant to be heard. Getting out there and playing in front of folks even if its just guest you have over for dinner at home adds a whole other dimension to the game.

We have a "legal" we state when we get up on stage.

"We guarantee to sing the wrong words and sing them out of tune and play the wrong chords of those we don't forget on most of the numbers we do. If we happen to get one right please let us know and we'll make sure it doesn't happen again."

Then we jump right into "Wild Thing"

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I finally played my first open mic last night out at a very cool place called Sarah Street Grill in Stroudsburg, PA. I'm posting about it here because I took out the D-25 for this.

I thought it was going to be a lowly attended hole in the wall type joint, but I was very wrong. There were probably around 100 people in the place, and it was large with a real stage, lights, a great PA and the whole 9. Sound was great in there, and the hosts kept a close eye on the board to ensure the guitar and vox mix was working for each player.

They had a list for sign ups at around 8:30 with performances starting at 9:15 with the hosts playing as a duo, then adding other musicians to their set of 6 songs (mostly covers that were recognizable). I signed up for the #2 slot, hoping to get it out of the way before anxiety killed me and booze killed everyone else. Well, nobody signed up for #1 so I got up there right after the house/hosts did their thing.

I started off with an obscure cover, which I had planned to close with, but was too damn nervous to go another route. I'm glad I started there. In spite of being nervous and a bit freaked out by hearing my voice booming through the stage monitor, I felt OK. Then I played a couple of originals, one that is very new and not even fully written. Those were much bigger risks, but I somehow got through them without falling down and dying in disgust of my performance level. It was a fine line at times... blown lyrics, jumping over one verse and onto the next.... but I just kept playing and hoping nobody could know I was screwing up if they never heard the songs before. At one point I couldn't help but laugh out loud at myself.

The crowd was very very kind, and so were the hosts and several other players... everyone encouraging me to come back. Some even commented on my songs, others loved the tones I got out of the D-25 (I can't tell you how happy that made me). Though I felt like a disaster at times, people were still extremely nice and complimentary, which I never expected.

I can't wait to play live sometime with a band when the focus isn't just on me, but I'll also look to play a few more of these in the coming months to see if I can improve each time. I think I learned a lot last night. I hope I did, but we'll see how that translates next time.

Thanks to everyone for the kind input in this thread. You guys are awesome.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Fungus,

You're bringing back a fairly recent memory. I had posted about all of it a while back.

The thing was, it was my first public thing in almost 3 decades, I knew for about 1 1/2 weeks prior to the show that I was going to play. That just gave me a bunch of time to think about it. Talk about butterflies, I kept going to the water fountain, maybe 10 times beacuse my mouth was so dry. Maybe 40 people there, but it all worked out.

The next time was in a bookstore here and I stopped to listen to some friends play. The next thing I knew, I had a guitar crammed in my face, along with a mike. 100 people watching. No time to think about it, no time to get nervous. I was very relaxed, even with over twice as many people watching and several of them, good musicians.

I've found that it really gets easier the more you do it. I'm almost to the point that I look forward to it. I'm not very good, never will be, but I keep getting these invites to play. Stay at it Fungus, I would have never taken the first step if it hadn't been for some of the guys here.

West

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks again to all of ya!

I'll definitely play another before too long to see if things get any better or easier from an anxiety perspective. In spite of my nervousness and the mistakes, it was a good time and a great experience. Glad I forced myself to do it.