Where do you guys play in the house?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My wife has graciously offered me a room in the house to use as my "play room", I guess she no longer wants me sitting in the dining room while she's in the living room. Anyway I'll take it. I can go in there and close the door, hopefully none of my family will seal it shut from the outside, and play 'til my hearts content.

I'm looking forward to it. I want to set it up as best I can. I will move some computer speakers in there so that I can play my songs, perhaps move my daughter's keyboard down for some drum beat.

So where do you play?

I understand my wife's eagerness to move me along a bit. The thought of a wonderful guitar song playing in the background is a good thing, but the repetition required to get to that point can make one's ears bleed.

What else do you have in "your space" for your comfort and / or convenience?

G

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I HAD a guitar room. It was great, Guild stuff everywhere. Guild stool, Guild clock, Guild lighted sign, Guild guitars, Guild posters, a little acoustic amp.........................then :cry: :cry: My 20 year old got himself into a world of debt :x . Dad, can I please move back home for a while? What can I say? I lost my guitar room.

Now they all stay in the closet, with their humidifiers in their cases. I set up the amp in the living room and sometimes it stays there for days or until the blonde complains, and I break out the acoustics one at a time.

My oldest will be back off to school around May, as much as I love him, I'm ready.

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I told my son that the moment he steps foot out the door to University, which should be in about 254 more days, there abouts, I'm removing the wall to his room and opening up the third floor entirely. He gave me that"Yeah right" grin until I layed my hammer and prybar outside of his door and started counting the days off on the calendar.

I could have an entire third floor studio. :D

Hey West, where did you get the Guild stool?

Graham

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm embarressed to say...................Ebay, that's not the bad part..........I paid an unbelievable fortune for that baby. Great stool though.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Red & I share the third bedroom as a study, computer room & studio.

I have it set up to keep 5 or 6 Guitars out either on stands or wall hangers, up until lately I had everything I own out, then I lost my mind.
Now I have to keep a few cased up in the closet. Right now the DV 62 is in there & I'm missing it.

Red & I have been here for about 18 mo now, Slowly the remodel is creeping up the hallway, looks like about next Summer I'll start developing the master plan for the Studio.

[img:338:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/pf042528602910f4fd4db626057cc1971/ee0e1e18.jpg[/img]crummy picture but you get the idea.

guildzilla

Reaction score
When I started playing my dad would suggest I play "Far Away in the Basement," as if it was a song request. Very funny. It was obviously a joke he had saved for years, awaiting an opportunity to use it

Nevertheless, I'm still taking that advice. It's the ideal place because the clutter doesn't matter and I don't have to put everything away. I have the back half of it to myself. And it has old carpeting on the floor so nothing is getting scratched by concrete.

It limits the hollaring from the wife and kids to "Close the door!" and "Turn in Down!"

Actually, my wife has been a trooper about this forever, and my kids were terrific about sleeping thru the noise, even as babies. My buddies and I used to stay up until 3 a.m. every Friday, playing loudly downstairs at our first house. Their wives would not even consider such an invasion.

kentukblue

Reaction score
I hate to be cliche...but we play alot on the front porch. Especially the last couple years at college. I've also enjoyed the occasional bathroom and stairway session. Some of the guitars ive owned have only been bathroom worthy...believe me.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
I play "Far away and in the Basment" too and I didn't know until today that I can add that to my song list (Thanks to Guildzilla). I keep my guitars cased to minimize the effects of forced air heating and our dry climate.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
West,
So you're the one I lost that stool to! Well at least I made ya pay for it.

Being single, I play right in my living room which is like playing in a Guild Museum. I have all my banners, posters and signs hanging on the wall. Not to mention a guitar or two. (No case, hang it on the wall!)

When my girlfriend comes over, she says it's like hanging out in a music store.

Kurt

drowlins

Reaction score
I used to play in the basement untill the boys moved out. Now my wife has a nice sewing/reading room, and I have my music room. My oldest does come home from time to time to help himself to odds and ends: an unused acoustic amp, capos, music books etc,etc. I don't mind, but he won't play my music with me. (60's-70's country/rock).
I did learn "Silent Lucidity" by Queensrych just to show him I could. :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Grotster,

What did you make me pay for that thing.............something like $140 or so :oops:? Never seen another one though.

West

Squawk

Reaction score
No one cares.

Actually, that's not true. My daughter's old dog would follow me anywhere, sit down to listen, and then fall asleep (even when I plugged in an electric). He died earlier this year - so now I can state - no one cares.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
We have a small room off the bedroom that could've been made into a walk-in. I was using that, but it was not only outgrown with gear after a couple years it was also right next to the room in which my wife spends 80% of her time (at least while I'm home).

I tried the basement. Turned up a 10 watt Marshall to 4 down there with a Tele, and she was begging me to stop within 5 minutes. Now I'm in what would be the dining room in most houses. It's also got my son's piano in there too so that's cool. I haven't quite settled in yet, but it's been good so far.

I'm already considering doing some soundproofing in the basement if we decide we're staying in this house for more than 10 more years. Sometimes I just need the outlet of a loud electric.

Maybe I should try to talk her into buying that recording studio across the country... yeah, maybe after I tell her about the DV52... which I will have 4 nights with down in NC next week.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Fungus, you probably already have this figured out, but the trouble with the basement is that the large metal HVAC ducts are good sound carriers and take the sound thru the ductwork and out the floor registers and air returns.

If you can sound proof only around the HVAC ducts, you could be money ahead and solve the majority of the issue.

Not that I know exactly how to do that best or well.

In our basement, I drywalled the ceiling of the front half of the basement, which is our rec room. But all the mechanical runs are in the back half where I have my office and music set up, so I left the ceiling open. And the HVAC runs right above where I play.

Two stories up, my wife just tolerates it and covers the register in our bedroom with a huge couch pillow so that I stumble over it when I finally come to bed.

One thing that I did 12 years ago, however, was to cut lengths of heavy cardboard 3-sided columns to fit snugly between the top of the metal ductwork and the subfloor above it. I thought it would spread out the vibrations and dampen the volume of sound inside the duct. I think it helped some, and it was free.

Is Mr. P laughing at my clumsy applied physics?

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
guildzilla said:
Fungus, you probably already have this figured out, but the trouble with the basement is that the large metal HVAC ducts are good sound carriers and take the sound thru the ductwork and out the floor registers and air returns.

Thanks! This is more helpful than you know because I've only recently begun to consider the basement as a real option so I didn't even begin thinking about the ducts, etc.

This is not a project I'd want to spend tons of money on, but at the same time... if I do anything down there I'd like to make it work out for everyone.