Popular place to be

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just checked forum stats & see we were a quarter shy of 5000 hits yesterday, but will easily pass that today.

I've lost count, but think I've deleted at least a dozen spam registrations since my first cup of coffee today, & have several possible valid regs that I'm waiting for responses for authentication.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I think that's good...............all but the bad stuff that is :shock: :) Quite a little site you've started here Don. How in the world do you know if something is spam or solicitation of some type?

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
Graham, just a month ago, we were breaking 4000 for the first time & they were few. For several months, our daily average was hanging in around 2400. Lately, we've peaked the 5k mark pretty regularly.

West, most of the spam registrations are pretty obvious & I just delete them without a second look. Other's aren't so obvious so I have a few other options to check out before deciding to send another email with a small list of requirements. If they don't respond to me directly within 3 days of my email, they get deleted.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not really surprised at the numbers then. I was just passing by looking for some info and decided to stay.

There is a great bunch of people here and a tremendous amount of good humor. There is incredible knowledge and support for the casual reader / poster.

I don't think there is any site out there that better serves the folks interested in Guild guitars. I have also noticed that there is very little, if any, flaming here. People can post and disagree with each other and, maybe it's a testament to the "Geezer" tag, but everyone is treated with respect.

I very much look forward to my daily visit here.

Thank you Don.

Graham

Squawk

Reaction score
Graham - AMEN!

I also think LTG just doesn't attract flamers. This is a combination of both Don's fantastic management (encouraging differing opinions in a respectful manner) and the mature membership (whether they are geezers or not). A good contrast is the Epiphone forum. Because it is company-run, anything good said about anything that is not a Gibson product is eliminated within hours. So are flames, but they do have a life of a few hours (until caught).

I remember last year, I posted there to get info about a Shine guitar - Shine is the OEM (Saen) for Epi's Korean (and now I think some Chinese) guitars. They are not even marketed in the US - yet Gibson USA trashed me for asking a simple question - and glorifying the manufacturer of their own Korean Epis! It is this kind of treatment that drive the more immature members there to flame everything and everyone.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Obviously that is the beauty of LTG....it's not sponsored by Fender or any other company. I think it makes it unique. Come to think about it, I've never really heard Don rant and rave about Guild guitars like the rest of us. Something tells me he like them though :D .

BTW, what's a flamer..........................I thought that was a gay guy?

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
So LTG is a "Tragedy of Commons"? :wink: Thank you Graham, I was fairly sure it was some type of heckling....you'll have to excuse this Geezer.

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
Other times, the flamer is simply a closed-minded or biased individual whose conviction that theirs is the only valid opinion leads them to personally attack any "dissenters".

Wow...I've dealt with people like this in person on too many occassions. Had a sound man like that once.......& only once! :?

john_kidder

Reaction score
The fact that there are no flames on this site is a reflection of the topics and the people - I don't think there's an individual I've met here in this little virtual world with whom I couldn't share some pleasant time, picking, talking, or just staring into space.

But I'd better drop a little edit into Wikipedia. "Flaming" started way before Usenet or any of these public groups. University computers and private networks in the 70s were jealously guarded by the resident geeks, who raised hot objections to apparent incompetence, waste of scarce CPU cycles and incredibly rare disk space. At one point in my life, in 1977, I was trying to write programs in a (now-dormant) language called APL ("A Programming Language" - I was using a paper terminal in an office in Victoria BC , tied to 2 Amdahl V6 mainframes in Toronto. I wrote a piece of code that didn't work, put the computer into an endless loop, and burnt 6 months computing budget in about 5 seconds before I hit <<Break>>. When I asked for help from those on the system more knowledgeable than me (that was just about everyone else), I got flamed, big-time. "Get your ignorant fingers off my system - what are you doing wasting our computers with your bullsh*t imitation code - who let you in here anyway - you'll never be able to write code in APL, go back to Basic where you obviously came from - get off my machine", etc. etc. More than trivial insults, these were heartfelt shouts, angry cries, screams of indignation from people whose domain had been invaded by an ignoramus. Flames indeed. Burnt my poor little self-esteem to a crisp. Deserved it too.

But Don's place here is as different from most forums as the night the day. Comfortable, informative, welcoming. No wonder we're getting 5K hits a day. Thanks, Don.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would never have guessed any where near that number of hits daily

I was taken back a bit when I heard the number. Just a minute ago I hit the search for D-25, came up with 173 hits.

Some of that number is likely AVATAR info but just the same, someone checks in here looking for info on a specific guitar, he's likely to find
something useful. A guy may have to search around a bit, some of the more inspirational stuff strays a bit from the Topic title.

Me for example, I heard here D-25's are good guitars. Probably wouldn't have taken the time to go pick up Midnite otherwise. Darned glad I did, turns out info on the forum is correct, I keep putting the others back on the rack, Black paint & all it has some magic, quite a bit, actually, it's giving the CO1 a run. Would be some fun to hear it next to a few I've heard spoken of here.

P.S. Don, you have any bone or ivory strap pins, I'm thinking a bit more white on Midnight might be better than silver. Perhaps a little less of the Esteban look.

dklsplace

Reaction score
P.S. Don, you have any bone or ivory strap pins, I'm thinking a bit more white on Midnight might be better than silver. Perhaps a little less of the Esteban look.

Don't think so. Just ordered a set of bone bridge pins, but I don't believe they come with a strap pin like the ebony does.

BTW, yesterday's hit count was 5613.

Squawk

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Other times, the flamer is simply a closed-minded or biased individual whose conviction that theirs is the only valid opinion leads them to personally attack any "dissenters".

Wow...I've dealt with people like this in person on too many occassions. Had a sound man like that once.......& only once! :?

Don -

It's this type of flamer which helps explain why I retried early from state government :)

Squawk

Reaction score
john_kidder said:
...But I'd better drop a little edit into Wikipedia. "Flaming" started way before Usenet or any of these public groups. University computers and private networks in the 70s were jealously guarded by the resident geeks, who raised hot objections to apparent incompetence, waste of scarce CPU cycles and incredibly rare disk space. At one point in my life, in 1977, I was trying to write programs in a (now-dormant) language called APL ...

John - I also used APL in the 70s to do budget analysis. What a pain! I also had the paper terminal (an IBM Selectric), as well as an acoustic coupler modem to connect to the mainframe. It was so cumbersome, I gave it up until my office received special permission to get a new-fangled Apple personal computer. I put a Z80 card into it so I could run VisiCalc - the first truly automated spreadsheet application that ran under CPM (basis of Microsoft's DOS). Within in very few years, VisiCalc was replaced by Lotus 1-2-3 which ran on the new IBM PC. In 1984, Apple introduced the Macintosh and Microsoft wrote a graphical spreadsheet application for this platform. Bill Gates called it Excel, and Gates soon released a character-based version to run on his PC-DOS operating system. With the introduction of Windows 95, the graphical Excel for Mac was rewritten, and Lotus became the #2 spreadsheet. Today, I use Excel both on Mac & PC and still like the Mac better - right, Coastie?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hadn't checked stats for awhile. Seems we broke the 6k mark last friday. Average hits for the past 8 days is just over 5k.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Hadn't checked stats for awhile. Seems we broke the 6k mark last friday. Average hits for the past 8 days is just over 5k.

SSSSSsssmmmmmokin'!!!!!!

[IMG:375:333]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/MrP_at_Large/mask-promotional06.jpg[/img]

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just keeps climbing. Average hits over the last 6 days is just shy of 6500. Monday was the busiest yet with 7438.