Hygrometer Experiment

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
For all of us who like to display our acoustics (I only do it in warm months), I conducted an easy experiment tonight for my own benefit. I thought the outcome was interesting.

We've always heard that when our central heat and or fireplace are in action, the humidity in our homes drops. Here where I live, we rarely see really cold temperatures and I rarely burn wood in the fireplace in conjunction with the central heat. We had a high of 80 yesterday, and it was muggy as usual. Today a cold front blew through with very high winds (still blowing) and it should drop to around 24 tonight.

About 3 hours ago, I turned turned the heat on in the house, before I did, I checked my hygrometer....46%, then I started a fire in the fireplace and an hour later the humidity in my home is now at 32%.

All my babies have been in their cases for the past couple of months, with humidifiers, tonight I was sure to ad water to them. Those conditions and fluctuations have got to be tough on a displayed guitar.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[img:450:337]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/p675cc11175ea39706d8cb3cc0f71b31c/ebd0a613.jpg[/img]Woodstove & a teapot has been running steadily for several weeks, Central heat occasionally.

Relative humidity at the Airport 5 minutes ago was 92%

I'd consider dehumidifying but I'm afraid of getting them too dry. :roll:
Haven't lost one yet so I'll just try & keep the humidity reasonably constant.

[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p7db30842b08c6d6e247a39ac6b22c7c3/ecf8cb42.jpg[/img]Seems easier just to drill some extra ventilation in each one of them.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Woodstove & a teapot has been running steadily for several weeks, Central heat occasionally.

teapot.jpg

That must be one big tea pot Jeff :shock:

ecf8cb42.jpg
Seems easier just to drill some extra ventilation in each one of them.

Nicely done Jeff :D
Holey.jpg

Graham