Hello and X-500 w Bigsby

stlpikn

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I found this site by accident earlier this week and after reading through the several of the sections I liked what I saw and decid to jump in. :)

I bought a really nice Guild X-500 about six months ago that sounded great. I installed a Bigsby B-6 Tremelo on the guitar and I bought one of the roller bridges but, I am not real happy with what the bridge did to the overall sound of the guitar. So, I have a couple of questions for any of you that are using the Bigsby with your archtops.

Did you notice a big difference in the sound of your guitar with the roller bridge compared to the original wood bridge?......If so, do you just live with it, or did you find a way of getting most of the original sound back?....Also, I was wondering if maybe one of the original Bigsby solid brass bridges might not work better and improve the sound?.....

I would really appreciate any suggestions you could give me. Thanks, and best regards.

Jim

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome Jim!

Roller bridges do have the reputation of muddying tone. Some people really love them though. No doubt you will notice a difference with a Bigsby bridge, but plenty of Bigsby setups also use tuneomatic style bridges with great success.

Century Bob

Reaction score
I think the tuneomatic is the best overall bridge. I personally like the aluminum bigsby bridges because I like the extra bright tone. However most people like the Tuneomatic better. I have also tried the Gretsch rocking bar bridges that are very well liked but I was not very impressed and went back to the Bigsby style.

stlpikn

Reaction score
Thanks you guys for the welcome. :D

The Tunomatic bridge sounds like it might be a big improvement over the roller bridge and I will definitely give it a try. Is there a brand preference or are they all pretty much equal?......

Jim

reverb11

Reaction score
I used to have an expensive Schaller roller bridge that was a total tone-sucker. I don't know why: perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the little wheels make very little solid contact with the bridge itself (just two points on most), but they really rob tone, I think. I've been using a Gotoh tuneomatic (GE-103B) -- the wide "travel"one, not the narrow one-- and have had good results. I think Walter uses this bridge, too. And-- they're inexpensive.

Good luck.

stlpikn

Reaction score
Hi Reverb,

Where did you get your Gotoh?.....I've checked several of the usual suspect sites like Stew Mac, 1st Quality and a couple of others with no luck finding the Gotohs. :(

Jim

stlpikn

Reaction score
Only the discerning geezer knows !

Well Coastie, I've got the "geezer" part covered in spades but, I guess I've got a little more work to do on the "discerning'. :D

Thanks for the link. I found that one yesterday but, I was'nt sure if that's the one they were talking about. Reverb listed the model number for the one he is using and there is no model number on the StewMac ad.

Jim

dklsplace

Reaction score
You bet! Send me some pics & let me know what you have in mind.

I've compared the previously mentioned 103B (from online sources) to the Gotoh Nashville that I've been using on my Guilds (& I carry through Allparts), but I'm at a loss to see any difference. Post & string spacing seem to be the same, & aside from the 103B stamped in the bottom, I can't see any other differences.

Hans, I know you've had both in hand....what's what?

stlpikn

Reaction score
Hi Coastie, yup, that clears up the mystery. Thanks :D

Don, you have a PM. :D

jim

ave del noche

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Don.

I'm in the market for a replacement bridge for the roller bridge in my SF4.

Probably a Gotoh, I guess.

Can you help, please ?

+1

If anyone knows of a direct retrofit tune-o-matic style bridge I'd love to hear about it. Not a fan of the roller-bridge on my sf4 or s-100 either. I'm hoping I won't have to pull the studs, but don't know if another threaded bridge even exists. Thanks.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ave, that's what most concerns me too, the stud sizes / thread pitch.

How does one determine such things ?

I'm guessing that quite a few would be keen to know about a direct-fit replacement bridge.

ave del noche

Reaction score
yep. I can share what little I do know:

The threads are sae. Posts from a nashville bridge fit just fine in the roller-bridge, but the post spacing on the roller is wider. Putting a nashville on there, then, would mean new stud holes. I'm not willing to do that, however.

dklsplace

Reaction score
coastie, the stewmac nashville is not the Gotoh Nashville that I use from Allparts. Have one right in front of me as I type. Here it is. Oh yeah, the link you posted is a stud mount, we're talking floating bridges for the X-500.

[img:500:367]http://www.allparts.com/shopimages/GB_2540-001-1372.JPG[/img]