Christmas movies, another slow night in Ontario, sorry Jeff

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The older I get the more I enjoy the older Christmas holiday movies.

I have always been a fan of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim, since I was a kid really. The my wife got me watching Going My Way. Now we have a decent collection that we watch every year.

This year I picked up three more I had not seen before, Christmas in Conneticut, The Bishop's Wife and Meet John Doe. So far we have watched Christmas in Conneticut and The Bishop's Wife. Both enjoyable if not a bit corny, but I like then none the less.

You good geezers have any favorites?

Graham

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Watched Miracle on 34th Street last night - a holiday imperative in our house. Among the others you listed, The Bishop's Wife is an all-time favorite. And Alistair Sim's Scrooge is the definitive performance - far better than Henry Winkler's. My eyes always get moist when Scrooge arrives at Fred's house. The maid who takes his coat is a cutie, and when he reconciles with Fred's fiance - dang, where's my tissue?

But let us not forget It's A Wonderful Life!! "Clarence! Get me back to my wife and kids!"
Think I'll watch them all again this year and scan the backgrounds for Guilds.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
If the category can be expanded to inclulde TV specials the answer is obvious for me, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" (Rankin-Bass version) and "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas". I am a child of the late fifties, pre-cable pre-video, and looked forward to these shows with great anticipation.
GL

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
And Alistair Sim's Scrooge is the definitive performance - far better than Henry Winkler's. My eyes always get moist when Scrooge arrives at Fred's house. The maid who takes his coat is a cutie, and when he reconciles with Fred's fiance - dang, where's my tissue?

She is a cutie isn't she?

As for moist eyes, when Barry Fitzgerald's mother comes on stage at the end of Going My Way, that's it for this household.

We also own / watch:
White Christmas
Miracle on 34th
Bells of St Mary's
It's A Wonderful Life
Holiday Inn
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Cartoon)
and Rudolph (Cartoon)

It's an all too rapid season isn't it?

Graham

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't believe no-one mentioned "One Magic Christmas" with the lovely Mary Steenbergen. :D

It's a delightful Christmas story that's become a favorite of the whole family at our house.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
drednut said:
I can't believe no-one mentioned "One Magic Christmas" with the lovely Mary Steenbergen. :D

It's a delightful Christmas story that's become a favorite of the whole family at our house.

To be honest I haven't heard of that one. I'll IMDB it and possibly give it a view.

Graham