Acoustic Christmas Favorites

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
I really enjoy the Christmas cd's of John Fahey. He produced two that I know of "The New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album" circa '68 and "Christmas with John Fahey Vol II" circa '75. Anyone who can take a slide to Silent Night and make it sound like it always belonged there is amazing in my book. What about your favorites?

GL

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I own one of those Fahey albums, but I'll have to verify which one when I get home from work. The first CD I drag out every Christmas, though, is Riders In the Sky - "Merry Christmas from the Harmony Ranch"!!Listened to it all the way to work this morning! Man, when Ranger Doug yodels "Deck the bunkhouse walls with holly", I know tis the season!!

I'll post up a couple more later. On the way home tonight I'll be listening to one of the Canadian Brass Christmas albums. It simply would not be Christmas for me without that.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
On the way home tonight I'll be listening to one of the Canadian Brass Christmas albums. It simply would not be Christmas for me without that.

The Canadian Brass, they formed in these parts and I remember as a kid in elementary school they used to come in every year and play for us. They just always had a good time, and their musicianship was outstanding.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Ronnie Romm at his home in the late 70's, although at the time it wasn't a great pleasure, it was friggin' awsome!! I was a 17 year old high schooler playing trumpet in the school band and here I was with Ronnie Romm in his home studio. My girlfriend at the time, her family were good friends with the Romms. His wife was a concert pianist. Ron got me a backstage pass and a meet and greet with Dizzy Gillespie. That was something elase, those puffed out cheeks and that really cool horn, man I was stoked.

Good stuff, thanks Guildmark.

I just checked out the Canadian Brass website and Ronnie Romm is back with them this year actually they're in California right now, playing Berkley tomorrow night.

Graham

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
I had the great pleasure of meeting Ronnie Romm - a meet and greet with Dizzy Gillespie.

I would have been kow-towing like Garth and Wayne: "We're not worthy!"

I have only ever been able to attend one CB concert, here in Costa Mesa at the Performing Arts Center, which is a bit too large for the audience to really be able to appreciate them. But it was wonderful, just the same.

I love listening to Dizzy, but I cannot bear to watch him. :cry:

My wife, "Huck", has a pretty extensive collection of Christmas CD's, and it isn't easy to even remember them all off the top of my head, but I'm kinda taking Gruhn Loon's question as an opportunity to share a whole bunch of stuff. I know we've got a lot of C&W Christmas albums, and several "mountain music" recordings - as in "Smoky Mountains". The arrangemenets are simple but the performances are virtuosic.

Keep it coming, All!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
I love listening to Dizzy, but I cannot bear to watch him. :cry:

I remember going back to school and band practice after that and my music teacher hurling a piece of chalk at me 'cause I was blowing up my cheeks like Dizzy. He probably figured I was going to take the trumpet home, put it in the vice and bend the bell upwards. :shock:

Graham

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I won't post any more brass-related photos on this guitar forum, but this one was taken at the Nambassa Festival in New Zealand. Yo, Coastie! Ever been to this festival?

[IMG:250:180]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/Guildmark/250px-Dizzy_Gillespie_at_the_Nambas.jpg[/img] Photo by Michael Bennetts

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
I won't post any more brass-related photos on this guitar forum, but this one was taken at the Nambassa Festival in New Zealand. Yo, Coastie! Ever been to this festival?

[IMG:250:180]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/Guildmark/250px-Dizzy_Gillespie_at_the_Nambas.jpg[/img] Photo by Michael Bennetts

You can post them on the recipe channel there, Jeff won't see them there. :)

Graham

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No sir, I usually smile big when I see a horn player show up on the bandstand. Usually indicates at least one of the band is a pretty good musician & it's gonna be good. .

Doesn't matter to me, trumpet, sax, trombone, a hot horn is cool.

We have a guy around here, Randy Oxford, plays the coolest & the meanest blues trombone, he can just plain cook that horn. Usually hangs out with guitar players & such that are pretty good as well, they draw the most dedicated blues fans in 3 counties. .

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My three favorite Christmas songs that don't show up in a Hymnal are all from Emmy Lou Harris' "Light of the Stable" CD. Even though I love guitar, a good vocal is what really gets me. These are all Acoustic.

1. Christmas Time's A-Coming
2. Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem
3. Light Of The Stable

yettoblaster

Reaction score
I guess it's acoustic: an orchestra?

I like "Sleigh Ride."
Kinda traditional geezer music.

Paul Thorn has a song about his brother-law showin' up with the kids from various marraiges, etc...
I imagine he's Americana, but mostly acoustic.

Kap'n

Reaction score
It's not really acoustic (L5 w/ Bartolini direct into recorder), but Tuck Andress' "Hymms, Carols and Songs About Snow" is amazing.

Anybody who can make Jingle Bells swing on solo guitar is an ace in my book.