Question for Hans.......

rogersguy

Reaction score
Hi Hans, i (and a friend of mine), both have x-175's. his is a 57, mine is a 58. both of them have reddish tortoise shell pickguards. i know in your book it doesnt say anything about these type of pickguards, but they look totally original. is it just coincidence that we both have the same guard? or are they original? i can send you a pic if you need one. thanks,larry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rogersguy said:
Hi Hans, i (and a friend of mine), both have x-175's. his is a 57, mine is a 58. both of them have reddish tortoise shell pickguards. i know in your book it doesnt say anything about these type of pickguards, but they look totally original. is it just coincidence that we both have the same guard? or are they original? i can send you a pic if you need one. thanks,larry

Hello Larry,

Yes, they are original. During my research for the book I'd come across one of those and even though the guard looked really well made, I more or less assumed that it was added at a later date. Since then I've seen something like 10 of those and they were all instruments from a very specific period. The serial numbers of the ones I've seen were roughly between # 8500 and #10000, which is exactly the period that Guild was changing from the laminated black guards to the 'painted' plexiglass guards. It looks like Guild did some experimenting with different materials before they decided to choose for the plexiglass version. If your friend's X-175 is from 1957, it would be a little earlier than the ones I've seen so far, but it is very well possible that his guitar wasn't really finished in 1957 and that it left the factory at a later date.
I would love to have some additional info on both these guitars for my database. Would you be willing to answer some questions re. these two X-175s?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rogersguy said:
Hans, no problem, fire away! larry

Thanks Larry,

It might be the easiest if you could post (or e-mail me) a front and back photo of both the guitars. Most of the things I would like to know would be visible in the photos. But first, maybe you could give me the serial numbers for my database. If you would rather not post the numbers on the forum, you could mail them to me in a PM (personal mail) or e-mail them straight to me at my regular e-mail address.

Thanks again!

Hans Moust

rogersguy

Reaction score
Hans, i dont want to bore the other forumites, so, can you send me your email. mine is .. llader@verizon.net
i can have pics sent to you tonight with serial#'s. thanks,larry

john_kidder

Reaction score
It is completely and absolutely impossible to bore other members of this forum. I've tried. No success.

And if you think you might succeed in boring the people here with with information about '50s X-175s, then you greviously underestimate the deep-seated need for Guild arcania that drives us all. '50s X-175s are important to us, although they may not be to anyone else on the planet.
Fire away.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rogersguy's '58 Guild X-175

OK, here they are:

X175_1.jpg

X175_2.jpg

X175_3.jpg

X175_4.jpg

X175_5.jpg

rogersguy

Reaction score
Hans, thanks for putting up my pix. i hope i helped you out. i'll have my friends x175 pix this weekend. thanks again for your help,larry

ave del noche

Reaction score
almost bid on that one. Glad it went to someone here, however. How do you like it so far?

rogersguy

Reaction score
i wasnt sure about this one. the guy who had it, wasnt a guitar player at all. i think he acquired this guitar somehow. he's a car mechanic, so i was very worried. he wasnt very helpful on the phone. But, when i got it, i was amazed at how clean it was. it looks like it was pretty much bought in 1958, and then left in the case. the neck is great. it needs a setup(minor one), but nothing really outside of that. the case is in great shape too. its a brown case with red interior(says guild on the outside). do you know if these were lifton cases? there are no other badges. thanks,larry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rogersguy said:
it looks like it was pretty much bought in 1958, and then left in the case. the case is in great shape too. its a brown case with red interior(says guild on the outside). do you know if these were lifton cases? there are no other badges. thanks,larry

Hi Larry,

Yes, the info was of help, but listen to this: The guitar was already in my database. I did see it in the Guild Repair Dept. in Westerly when they were still open. At this point I'm not sure if it was 1998 or 1999, but I will check my records and tell you what I can come up with.

As far as the brown cases are concerned, they can be Lifton cases but they're not always.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

rogersguy

Reaction score
wow. Hans, this guy said it might have been rebound at some point. maybe thats it. who ever did it did an ace job. maybe because it was the guild repairmen. very anxious to hear. keep me posted,larry

ave del noche

Reaction score
Larry/Hans -- I can help a little with the repair record. It went in to be rebound at one point about 10 or more years ago. That much I did get from the seller. Not sure if any other work was done. The questionable situation (mechanic...not his guitar, etc) was the reason I didn't end up doing it. My bid amount was going to be right around what you got it for, however, so in the end it all worked out for the better.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ave del noche said:
Larry/Hans -- I can help a little with the repair record. It went in to be rebound at one point about 10 or more years ago. That much I did get from the seller.

Don't think it was 10 years or more that I saw it at the Guild factory. Quite sure this was 1998 or 1999. But we do have a source here on the Forum who might be able to confirm this and he even might be able to tell who did the rebinding job. I believe he was there at the time!

Hideglue ...... where are you!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

rogersguy

Reaction score
i dont think the whole guitar was rebound. it looks like maybe it was the back only, but i'm taking it tonight to my luthier.....he'll know better than me. if you find out anything,let me know. thanks,larry