X-170 or X-175?

doc

Reaction score
Hi

I have a DeArmond X-145 blonde and really like it, great sound. I have been curious and interested in buying either an X-170 or X-175. Would anyone be able to explain the differences other then cost to me. How different would they be then my X-145?

Thanks
Doc

DeArmond T-400
DeArmond X-155
DeArmond X-145
DeArmond Starfire Special
Yamaha GC3D 1972 rare

doc

Reaction score
Say how does one delete a thread that isn't going anywhere. Seems as if this one is just taking up space.

Reaction score
The 175 is built on Guild's full size archtop platform (17" lower bout, 3" depth). The 170 is a relatively newer design -- a little smaller all around, and it has sound posts. In general, it'll be a bit tighter in feel and sound, and it's not as likely to feedback at higher volumes. Both can be great.

Reaction score
I really like my X-170T. First Guild I bought & now I'm ruined. 8)
I believe it's 2 3/4 thick & 16" but I may be wrong.

doc

Reaction score
There is a X 175 listed and I noticed that it said the top is spruce. Is this standard for the X 175? Isn't the tops on the X 170 Maple? It is a 1975 X 175. I would imagine that the spruce might have more projection and the maple might have more bell like highs?

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
doc said:
There is a X 175 listed and I noticed that it said the top is spruce. Is this standard for the X 175? Isn't the tops on the X 170 Maple? It is a 1975 X 175. I would imagine that the spruce might have more projection and the maple might have more bell like highs?

The standard top for the X175 is spruce, and among its qualities, it really projects. Mine is a '78 sunburst, which is really pretty, even with the added color you can see how it has warmed and mellowed with age. Like I said, the guitar really projects and has great balance. I'm taking jazz and blues lessons, and I very often practice without an amp, something that I couldn't do with my X-170 when I had it. This guitar responds very well to different strings. I have it set up with DeAddario Chrome 11s which are flat wound for a smoother jazz sound, but you can really make it pop with rounds.

I had an X-170 for a while, when I got it it was like new. After A/B ing a lot, I kept leaning towards the X-175, to me it has a broader range of sounds, and honestly, I love the way it looks.

Squawk

Reaction score
While I love my X170, I have 2 non-Guild archtops with carved spruce tops - both of which I must admit project better acoustically than the X170. The comparison is really not fair, as the X170 - in addition to the maple top - also does not have a floating neck pickup - and it has a feedback-reducing vertical block under the bridge - all of which robs from the acoustic sound. Then again, the X170 has more versatility plugged as it can wail blues and rock much better than my sprucetops.

doc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies as it really helps me sort out my decision making. A question for Squawk or who ever wants to answer it. What is a floating pickup? I attempted to look for an explanation for it on the internet and so far no real answer except that Elvis had a guitar in Germany with one on it and gave it away :? , and that jazz players seem to like them? Gee....I am glad you guys are teaching me a thing or two...... :arrow: 8)

Squawk

Reaction score
doc said:
Thanks for the replies as it really helps me sort out my decision making. A question for Squawk or who ever wants to answer it. What is a floating pickup? I attempted to look for an explanation for it on the internet and so far no real answer except that Elvis had a guitar in Germany with one on it and gave it away :? , and that jazz players seem to like them? Gee....I am glad you guys are teaching me a thing or two...... :arrow: 8)

A floating pickup is mounted to the lower sides of the fretboard rather than on the surface of the guitar top so that the pickup "floats" over the top without touching it. Here's a picture:

[IMG:799:492]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/squawkman/arch_space.jpg[/img]

I believe some higher-end Guild & Benedetto jazz boxes come with floating pickups.

doc

Reaction score
Thanks Squawk, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I imagine that by floating the pickup it would allow the top to vibrate more freely? So the X 175 has a floating pickup in the neck position. I guess it hasn't been mentioned before in the description of X 175s for sale as its taken for granted that is a known fact. 8)