Best year for X-170

Stevo

Reaction score
I have a feeling that an X-170 will make a great blues guitar. They seem to be relatively common and reasonably priced on E-Bay. My question is: What is the most desirable year of manufacture? Is older necessarily better, or most liable to appreciate in value. I love the raunchiness of my Westerly Bluesbird, but looking for an amplified hollowbody sound.

Thanks
Steve

guildzilla

Reaction score
You rarely see commentary on here about good or bad Guild eras, at least up to the closing of the Westerly, RI factory in 2002. The conventional wisdom seems to be that the quality is very consistent, especially the Westerly instruments.

So if it were me, I'd be looking for any Westerly X-170. Age is a matter of taste and appreciation is guess-work. Great value, IMO, whichever way you go.

Others can provide better details than me. And Hans Moust's GUILD GUITAR BOOK is a great resource if you don't have one yet.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
I've owned and played Guilds from most eras. I don't think there are any identified eras for being particularly one way or the other.
I have seen Guilds I wouldn't want, but only as individual guitars, and who knows what abuse they were subjected to.