PDA

View Full Version : When and how did you acquire your first Guild?

Music Gear Power Search

dreadnut
12-14-2006, 04:47 PM
How about it, when did you first fall in love with a Guild guitar? I'll start...

Having been through a succession of cheaper guitars including Epiphones and Univox, I decided to go out and get a real guitar. The last guitar I'd owned, a 12 String Japanese Epiphone, was stolen from my barracks while I was in the Navy :evil: When I inquired about insurance or coverage I was told: "Son, if they wanted ya to have a guitar, they'da issued ya one."

Consequently, I avoided GAS for the rest of my enlistment. As soon as I got out of the Navy and found a job at home, I went to Grinnells Music with my first paycheck and bought a brand new 1976 Guild D-25M for $300.00 out the door, including hard shell case. Compared it to Martin D-18's and a mahogany Gibson in the same store, the Guild won hands down both in terms of beauty and tone - the Guild was heavier, it looked and felt and sounded richer and just grabbed me as being the finer instrument with more attention paid to the detail in the wood and finish.

The tone was another thing. There was no comparison in tone, the Guild really rang out and resonated, especially on the bottom end- I don't know how to describe it other than it sounded like hitting the low E on a piano.

The bonus was, the Guild only cost half as much as the Martin :D And honestly, I walked in there hoping to get a Martin if I could based on "what everybody said" about Martins.

Anyway, the D-25's been to a thousand campfires, jam sessions, gigs, and on plenty of airplanes, and she still sounds like a piano :D Bought her a new set of tusq / abalone end pins from Don for her 30th birthday :D

drowlins
12-14-2006, 05:08 PM
In 1968 I bought a 64 Guild M-20 from a friend of mine. Learned my first licks on it, romanced my wife with it, sang to my children with it, then taught them their first licks on it. It's still with me, holding a place of honor in the guitar room. It's a bit worse for wear, and needs a neck reset, but it still carries a tune like no guitar I've ever owned.

Jeff
12-14-2006, 05:15 PM
My first Guild guitar. The Redhead had this under the Christmas tree for me 3 years ago.
I think she paid 300 or 350 from the local paper here in Olympia. Inspired me to play hours every day & made me into the guitar picker I am today.

Still a quite humble guitar picker but multiples better than BG (Before Guild)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/peb6fa5e565dda50abe8469829e1697a9/ee0e10ee.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/pa0235d2a8d1df7d8481bc03fadf5c4b0/ee0e10aa.jpg

john_kidder
12-14-2006, 06:13 PM
My first Guild happened the morning after the first night I spent with the woman who has been my wife for 26 years now. Synchronicity again, and always. Siri and I had been friends for a year or so - we met hard on the heels of broken affairs for each of us, and we shared a heartfelt belief that love caused nothing but pain, and that neither of us was looking for more of that. We hung out, read, went to parties where we provided a kind of cover date each for the other.

Then the inevitable happened. And when I left Siri's apartment the next morning, I kicked over a free community newspaper lying on the front steps. The Vancouver Herald, now long gone. On the back page of the paper I saw an ad - "Old guitar, straight neck, $200". Feeling good as I was, I phoned the number, and found that the seller was about 5 blocks away. I walked over, had a cup of coffee, and bought:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/john_kidder/1957%20Guild%20M-20/M-20_full_front.jpg
1957 M-20 (photos here) (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v113/john_kidder/1957%20Guild%20M-20/)

A few years ago, I was trying to track down just what this nifty little guitar was, when it was built, etc. I ended up in touch with Hans Moust, who was (of course) his consistently gentlemanly self, freely spending time and sharing information. He started me on the arcane stuff about labels from different Guild periods, connections to other resources, etc. And I was hooked from then on. How could I not be?

guildzilla
12-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Great stories. I can't match those for heart and romance but here goes.

It was the spring of 1987 and I had been looking for a better guitar for a few months. I had begun playing with a group of guys who had much louder instruments - an Ovation, a Mossman, etc. - that made my Yamaha folk guitar sound overmatched.

We were making homegrown records and having a lot of fun. Called ourselves Boaz and the Harmoniums (see Vonnegut novel SIRENS OF TITAN) but more as a Friday night jam club thing, not a real band. Boaz had been jamming for about a year and goes on to this day, albeit in an evolved and mutated form. I was married but no kids yet. We played at my house because my wife was the only one who tolerated the noisy intrusions. I was also having a real good spring selling new homes and felt I deserved a reward.

I was close to buying an Alvarez Yairi DY-62. But some odd hesitation had stopped me from pulling the trigger.

Anyhow, I walked into Sweetwater Music (now out of business, unfortunately) in Columbus. My eyes immediately were drawn to a very seductive looking maple Guild F-44. I felt an amazing sudden attraction, even before I touched the guitar.

I brought my wife, Norma, back to the store the next day because I was jumping about $400 above the agreed-upon price range. She thought it was gorgeous and said okay. Bought it for about $1,175 and took it home.

I've never owned anything else that felt so totally and permanently mine as this guitar has felt. Have an old Schwinn LeTour 10-speed that I also feel very warm and fuzzy about, but not really close to this connection.

SugarMountain
12-14-2006, 08:22 PM
my dad rides a schwinn 'zilla, its very nice

california
12-14-2006, 09:26 PM
1967 -- when I graduated from High School. I have to admit, at first I wanted a rosewood Martin, but they were way too expensive. As it was, I paid for half of my own graduation present.

Chicago had a huge concentration of music stores downtown on Wabash Avenue, and every one had a guitar room. It was during the folk music boom so there were plenty to choose from. My trade-in was an Epiphone Texan with a sunburst finish. It had a fat neck, and an o.k. sound. I paid about $75 for it and thanks to Paul McCartney they now sell for up to three grand -- such is life. After trying a bunch of guitars I was really intrigued by the softer sound of a pearwood Guild D-44. I was doing a lot of accompanyment at the time, and it really suited my finger picking style while still having enough presence for bluegrass and driving rhythms. The guitar really had character compared to most of the others, so I spent the extra few bucks and took her home. I couldn't afford a new case, so the dealer threw in an old brown, beatup Gibson case.

I still have the D-44, she's aged beautifully. And I still have the case -- which in its vintage state now sells for more on eBay than I paid for the Guitar!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/california91207/T5-S%20Cocobolo/D-44.jpg http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/california91207/T5-S%20Cocobolo/collage1.jpg

Dr Izza Plumber
12-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Actually My first REAL USA Guild I just acquired; My D55 Tacoma.

I've had My DeArmond Guild for a while, and that's the last guitar I would ever give up!

I've played a few Guilds over the last 40 years, and I always thought (when I was young) that I'd never be able to afford a Guild guitar. I've lusted them for decades!

Well, times change, people change, and the Good Lord Blesses!

I'm just thrilled that Fender kept Guild alive and kicking.

West R Lee
12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Well, it's a long story, but in the 70's I was lost, acoustically speaking, at the end of my road........................then.................. ................"Guildman" to the rescue. No sidekick though.

Actually, in high school I played an Ovation, I thought the sound that came out of that thing was unique, and it was.......uniquely bad. The guy that pretty much taught me what little I know had an Epiphone, then one day he got a new one.

James' dad was a music teacher and obviously knew what he was doing when he bought him a Guild D40 in '78 or so. One day I went over to his house and played. I was in complete awe of the Guild.

Within about a year, I went to the local music store and there she was............my D25. I could not put her down. Finally the owner came over and told me to take her home. I told him I couldn't afford it and he asked how much money I had? $200. He told me to take her home and pay him when I got the chance...............my, how times have changed. I payed him the rest within a couple of months. That D25 still amazes me with her sound. I'll never part with that guitar. It was the beginning of a 27 year love affair.

Through the years, I've played several other brand name guitars, and even though we've beaten this one to death, I sincerely have never played an acoustic that compared to Guild.

West

yettoblaster
12-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I couldn't afford Gibsons anymore.

Guilds are better anyway (I found out)!

Mark WW
12-15-2006, 01:15 AM
I had quit playing guitar for about 16 years.

My son turned 9 and I remembered the "good times" I had playing in bands for 10 years. So I decided that I should share that with him. I always wanted a Guild so I bought a "True American" A/E. Not a great guitar to start out on. I bought him a telecaster and I dumped the Guild and started the search for "the Guitar". I have always held Guild guitars in high esteem and own several. I will probably buy another.

Oh, my son has been playing for 7 years now, and he is just as bad as I was/am. :roll:

Mark

West R Lee
12-15-2006, 01:41 AM
That's ok Mark, I think no matter how many Guilds we have, we can be equally bad. :wink:

West

Gruhn Loon
12-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Shortly after I'd located an amazing fingerstyle teacher, he pointed out that the Hondo guitar I was bringing to my lessons would soon be a detriment to my learning. He then placed a Guild in my lap and I was amazed that there could be such a difference in the feel and sound of two instruments that share the same name. My teacher advised me to check out the Guild listings on ebay and he even spotted the first Guild that I bought. Do I owe him big time? Yea, I really do.

Having the good fortune to acquire several exceptional guitars has made the time spent learning and practicing a real pleasure.

West R Lee
12-15-2006, 03:36 AM
And that's some dandies you've got there Loon!

West

john_kidder
12-15-2006, 06:48 AM
No kidding, those are fine fine guitars. Of course, the Loon has promised to give me the GF-50-12 just as soon as he's bored with it. That'll probably be any day now.

scott
12-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi, I have been lurking for several months and have really enjoyed the forum. This is my first post and I am a little nervous. I was reading the first guild stories and mine is so similar to many that I had to relate mine,too. I also had a difficult breakup and to drown my sorrow I went out and searched for a good acoustic. I was also told that a Martin was the best acoustic so not knowing any better that was my mind -set. I was aware that JD played a guild as I noticed it on the Poems, Prayers and Promises album cover. I played a guild D-44M and it blew the Martins away and I became a true believer. That was in 1973. Now all these years and 11 guilds later I still feel the same way. I really enjoy browsing through the posts and I hope I can be an asset to the forum. Thanks Shotput

West R Lee
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Scott,

I certainly don't know why you'd be shy about posting here. If you've got 11 Guilds, I want to hear about 'em.

Good to have you here,
West

Gruhn Loon
12-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Hi Shotput / Scott,

Welcome to the forum! I too am anxious to hear stories about any of the 11 Guilds you've had through the years. What has been your favorite of the bunch and do you have a preference for rosewood or maple? Who are the guitarists you most admire?

West R Lee - the three I own are indeed "dandies" and thanks for coming up with their new group name.

John - as the most ardent and vocal supporter of the GF line I agree that you should have first shot at the GF-50 12 should boredom (or more likely insanity) overcome me. Likewise if for some reason your GF-60 gets lonesome, know that it'll always be welcome to visit it's siblings here in Salt Lake. I've seen the pictures you posted previously and that guitar is a work of art. Not to mention your descriptions of how wonderful it sounds...

Gruhn Loon

john_kidder
12-16-2006, 05:58 AM
you should have first shot at the GF-50 12 should boredom (or more likely insanity) overcome me.

At the risk of delaying for ever any chance I have at that guitar, let me wish that it's boredom rather than insanity that overcomes you - we're all a bit "teched" here (or so at least says my long-suffering and astonishingly supportive partner and wife), but there's no need to go overboard. Let's keep what's left of our sanity - we'll find it helpful as things proceed.

But go ahead and get bored, should you wish. Then I'll be delighted to help.

West R Lee
12-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Gruhn,

"The Dandies" ha? :lol: Yes, they are I'm sure, post pictures sometime, I'd love to see them. Is the RC a cutaway or carved heel?

West

Gruhn Loon
12-16-2006, 08:28 AM
West R Lee,

The "C" in this case stands for cutaway and as you can see it is of the Florentine variety. Sorry for the so-so picture quality but these are the only photos I've got on hand right now. I'm a total neophyte at this so I hope it works. More to follow later.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/gf60rc/GuitarFront_0942.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/gf60rc/GuitarBackside952.jpg

Gruhn Loon

West R Lee
12-16-2006, 08:47 AM
That's one great looking flattop there Gruhn.

West

coastie99
12-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Oh yes, Loon !

That really does speak to me !

Lovely !!

Mr. P ~
12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Here is my progression to Guild guitars.

~ I first tried to play on a giant Silvertone Archtop with a horrible action that belonged to my uncle.
~ Then I got my first guitar whic was a $60.00 Norma.
~ With my first summer job I scraped up $150.00 for a Yamaha 12 string ('66).
~ The summer before college I worked in a music store and almost bought a Mosrite Resonator guitar, but opted instead for a Goya 6 string ('70). From a collectors standpoint, I wish I had gotten and kept the Mosrite.
~ 1985 with a big tax return check I bought a new Martin HD-28 Brazillian Rosewood, built in the custom shop.
~ About a year later I got my first "Second guitar", a '72 D-28S.
~ In '92 I got laid off, we had our first child and after I was out of work for a year I was forced to sell both Martins.....hence my first Guild was shown to me by my guitar instructor who said I looked like someone shot my dog after loosing the Martins. It was a nearly flawless '74 D-25.
~ Christmas of 2005 I got my '78 D-40SB.
~ This past spring I got the '99 Bluesbird.

Now I am trying to determine when my marriage can stand another Guild!! :wink:

GardMan
12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Here's my tale...

I started learning guitar when I was 10, on a "Stella" flat top... $17 used with the tone of plywood and mile high strings. After a year of lessons, my instructor told my folks I needed a better guitar, so I received a cherry red Harmony "Rocket" electric for my 11th birthday.

I got my first "real" job at 17, working in a lab at the med school in Portland,OR. I told my folks that, as soon as I had saved my first $1,000 for college, the next paycheck was going to buy a new acoustic guitar.

So, In January of 73 I set out on my quest... looked at Gibsons and Epiphones in half a dozen shops... and didn't find anything that sang to me. Then, hanging on the wall in a little shop on N Burnside in Portland were three Guilds... The flat-backed all mahogany D25 was a little over my "budget" ($225 w/o case), the D35 even higher ($265 w/o case), and the third (which I now think was a D40) was way out of my reach. I played the D25 and was ready to buy.. UNtil I tried the D35. Once I played it, I was hooked... that guitar just sang to me. I went home empty handed the first trip... thought about it, and what my folks would say about my spending more than a month's pay on a guitar. But I went back and payed the $265 in cash and brought the D35 home on the bus two days later. At the time, that was the most money I had ever carried in my pocket. I couldn't afford the hardshell case, so the shop loaned my a pasteboard case until my next paycheck. The final bill with a Guild hardshell was $300... which was a lot of money for a 17 year old kid in 1973. When my dad found out how much I has spent, he about went ballistic.

I still have that Guild D35... it's been with me through thick and thin (college, a couple girl friends, my first marriage)... suffering some abuse along the way (I cringe to think of the way I treated it in my youth). It still has an incredible voice... warm and bright at the same time. I think it is still my most verstatile guitar, sounding great in any tuning, either finger picked or strummed.

After all these years, I think my Dad has forgiven me for my youthful extravagance.

scott
12-16-2006, 11:48 PM
The conclusion to my earlier story of my first Guild is so similar to Gardman's I started to laugh. My dad also found out that I had spent my hard earned 400 bucks on my D-44M; my brother exposed my sin at the dinner table and my dad went bersek and started chasing around the dinner table attemting to strangle me. My mom started to scream and the frecas ceased. I went up to my room and learned some new JD and Cat Stevens songs and didnt reappear until the next morning after Dad went to work. My brother was still grinning. This also occurred in '73.

The Guilds of Grot
12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Well this sounds like a great way to lure people to my web site.

You can find my story here;

http://guildsofgrot.com/history.html

breogan
12-18-2006, 04:14 PM
My first and only Guild at the moment is a black 1997 Guild S-100. I've bought it by casuality. Fender changed the spanish dealer 4 years ago and previous one selled a lot of guitars for a good deal. I bought this guitar because I knew it was cheap and good, but I didn't know how good it was. Each day I enjoy it more and more.

Now I am waiting for a S-70 to come...

Here you have a picture:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/breogan79/guild/Guild_red.jpg

Mr. P ~
12-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Well this sounds like a great way to lure people to my web site.

You can find my story here;

http://guildsofgrot.com/history.html

LOL....I didn't get to read your story. The security system here at work flatly refuses to let me access your site.

I guess I will have to check that out from home.

lonesome picker
12-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I started to learn to play when I was a freshman in high school in 1974. My teacher had a Guild dreadnaught (D40?) that I thought was real cool. I then became a John Denver fan, so I guess there was really no choice as to what make of acoustic guitar I would own. I really loved Denver's 12 string sound but an F512 was a bit out of the econimic range of a teenager. I scraped my pennies and nickles together, mowed lots of the nieghborhood lawns and got bought a '71 F112 from the music store where I was also taking my lessons. My instructor was pissed "you can learn classical scales on a 12 string..." a few years later after I mowed a few hundred more lawns (at $5 a lawn) I bought the F112's mate - a 1975 F30.

I still have both. The F112 needs a neck reset and is pretty much unplayable, but the F30 is still a sweet little axe.

...and I never did learn those nasty boring "classical scales".

West R Lee
12-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Picker,

I'd like to see some shots of the GF55 sometime!

West

lonesome picker
12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
......well, if you have a magnifying glass or a BIG monitor, its the one on the right on my avatar..... :lol:

Here's a bigger version:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/ ... guilds.jpg (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/earlknoob_/bigguilds.jpg)

IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/earlknoob_/bigguilds.jpg[/IMG]

HoboKen
12-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I bought my first Guild in '66. It's a Hoboken F-212. I still love to play it.

HoboKen

West R Lee
12-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I thought your DV72 was your first, from the Vietnamese guy that owned the Philly restaraunt? I get so confused :shock: . :lol:

West

california
12-23-2006, 12:31 AM
I thought your DV72 was your first, from the Vietnamese guy that owned the Philly restaraunt? I get so confused :shock: . :lol:

West

They say that it is short term memory that's the first to go....

West R Lee
12-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Na, pretty cool story about how Ken ended up with that DV72. If we're lucky, maybe he'll share it with us.

West

HoboKen
12-23-2006, 12:46 AM
My first guitar was a Stella plywood $20 special. The second was a Harmony Golden Soverign and the third was a Gibson 12-string.

The DV-72 was my first Guild 6-string. Back in the 60's I had the Hoboken F-212, my Kalamazoo 6-string Epi.Texan (Mahogany) and the 6-string Martin D-35 (Rosewood), that I just got back after thirty-six years.

I traded my small body Gibson 12-string in on the F-212 back then.

HoboKen

West R Lee
12-23-2006, 01:30 AM
So Ken, you want to share your DV72 story with us and tell us what had happened to your previous guitar?

West

HoboKen
12-23-2006, 02:22 AM
I believe I posted it somewhere here in the past. But to do the Reader's Digest version, here goes.......

A friend knows I'm looking for a used roswood D-28 or something like that I can afford and gets me into the big city saying he needs help on a project. (at that time all I had was the Mahogany Epi. Texan and the Mahogany Guild F-212) He takes me to this Vietnamese Resturant for a late lunch and it seems he is well know to the staff. (He had invested money to help the family start the restaurant I find out later) Anyway when I say that I have not had a full Vietnamese dinner in many a year...since my DaNang TDY days to the owner, he asks me what I did there. It seems our old Squadron there had some how helped out his family and made it possible for them to come to the USA.
Even though I was not there when they did this, he insists that my dinner is on him. Then, my friend takes me to a music shop blocks away where the restaurant's brother (I found that out later also) asks me if I am who I am and when I say yes, he says "Come with me." We go down into a large basement guitar vault. He pulls down two new guitar cases. In one is a '95 Martin D-41. In the other the '93 Guild DV-72 Limited. Neither had ever been sold...they are "Factory War-an-tee New!" He asks which one do I like. I say both are nice, but way out of my price range. He asks how much I have to spend. I say "$1,100 tax, title, & plates out the door." He says to pick one, its mine for $1,100. This was late 1996. I played the Martin and the Guild....both were nice looking, but, the '93 Westerly Guild DV-72 Limited Edition was breathtaking in tone, volume, balance,....you name it over the Martin. It truly was....and is. I never once regretted that choice that day.

HoboKen

West R Lee
12-23-2006, 03:37 AM
Thank you sir, I really like that story. :) Lost the Epiphone in a rocket attack didn't you Ken?

West

california
12-23-2006, 02:45 PM
What a great story, thanks for sharing, Ken!

Walter Broes
12-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm a little late to this thread, but here goes :
I was playing a "new" Gretsch 6119 "Tennesee Rose" that I was growing increasingly frustrated with, and after replacing pickups and bridges and frets a couple of times I couldn't deny any more that I plain didn't like the guitar, and I also had a pretty bad 62 Gretsch double Anniversary that had already received a neck-reset (or rather:re-attachment..), a refret and a Bigsby, and I still didn't like it, and no matter what bridge I put on it, it just wouldn't play in tune above the tenth fret.

I was growing increasingly frustrated with the guitars I had, and didn't have the money to get something better. (I was thinking pre-57 Gretsch Country Club, or dual P90 Gibson hollowbody)

I knew about Guilds, my band had opened up for the Paladins a number of times, and they'd become friends, so I'd obviously been exposed to Dave Gonzalez's X500. I did realise though that single coil Guilds are rare to begin with, and even more rare over here in Europe, so I'd pretty much given up on owning one soon.

Then one day (about seven years ago), I walked into the local guitar shop for strings, and there it was, someone had brought it in only hours before I walked in : a 1962 Guild X175 with two Franz pickups, well-played, and unbelievably dirty, but all original except a very recent refret. I asked the guy whether he'd trade it for a Gretsch anniversary, and after he said "show me the Gretsch", I rushed home, and after bringing it in, I got the Guild as a straight trade for the green Gretsch.

Cleaned up the Guild, put a tune-a-matic and a Bigsby on it, potted the pickups, and never looked back. It's still my main guitar, and my favorite guitar ever. I've since bought a 1960 X175 from Hans, and a 1961 Starfire III with DeArmonds from a good friend in the U.S. - and I'll probably end up getting even more Guilds eventually.

HoboKen
12-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I did not loose my Kalamazoo FT-79N Epiphone Texan in the rocket attack. She was in a metal wall locker in the hardshell case when the rocket hit. It destroyed the locker and case for the most part; and the guitar has haze crackes in the finish from the concussion. I re-glued a few internal braces and got a new case. She is still with me today. The top has aged to a dark golden hue that now matches the blonde mahogany body.

HoboKen

pkiley
12-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi all,
As the new guy around here I feel compelled to add my $.02 to this great thread.

When I was 11 my parents moved to Wakefield, RI (about 20 min. North-east of Westerly). Once we got settled I found my way into town to a local music shop and found myself looking at the most beautiful guitars I had ever seen. The guy working behind the counter told me that they were made just down the road in Westerly. I was so impressed that such a nice instrument could come from RI. From that point on, all I could think about was owning a Guild guitar. After a string of beginner and junker acoustics (such as Bentley, Charvel, and Samick) I was finally able to afford my first Guild.

Although I compared the DV4 to a couple of Martins and Taylors that were in the shop, my mind was made up. The Guild won hands down and with ease. I have played it and loved it ever since. Even though I own a Taylor now (got a good deal on it), it mostly collects dust, because the Guild is such a superior instrument. The DV4 that I own is such a great instrument that I haven't even felt the urge to replace it with a higher quality Guild.

At any rate, thanks for the great thread and the great site!

-Pete...

Graham
12-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Welcome Pete, would you mind describing the DV4?

Graham

caveman
12-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Here's my story. I noticed the existence of Guild guitars, and their appeal through Walter. I used to see him play with his gretsches, untill suddenly a few years ago I noticed he had changed to an old looking sunburst hollowbody with soapbars. I first thought it was an old ES 175, but soon found out about the Guild X175. Two years ago, when I just started working in a guitar shop, a middle aged guy came to trade an old Guilld Starfire IV for something more 'recent'. He walked out with a shiny new Ibanez, and I ended up with his heavily modified, but to my hands and ears, most perfect thinline guitar I ever played. It has diffrent pickups (don't know what, but they sound great), new tuners and bridge, has been refretted and probably refinished.But it's been a reliable and fearless friend on many gigs, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Still heavily interested in a dual franz equiped single cutaway model, and maybe even a decent dreadnought, and spread the Guild gospel. Hallelujiah !

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/spacca2/JazzmasterandStarfireIV005.jpg

pkiley
12-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Graham,

The thing about the DV4 that grabs me first is the satin finish. It looks so natural and more like pure woods than if it had a glossy finish. The tone color is wonderful, very rich and balanced. It is by far one of the most playable guitars I have ever laid my hands on. As long as I have owned it, it still gets to me when I open up the case. It's a great instrument.

-Pete...

Graham
12-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks Pete, my DV-52 is high gloss, but I think that Cypress Knees' 52 is natural. Both, from what I hear and have seen are a great finish.

I know that mine is gorgeous. :D

Graham

Cypress Knee
12-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Well, since I've been mentioned, I suppose it's my turn to come out.

A friend of mine got me to playing the guitar my junior or senior year in high school. He gave my some old clunker that I practiced on. I think I told this story once before on this forum, but I was so bad...I mean I had a bluetick coonhound and couple of Treeing Walkers in the backyard and one night they were barking at the moon and my Dad stuck his head inside my room while I was practicing and asked me if I could play something that the dogs didn't know.

He got me an Ovation Balladeer for graduation. But I had seen a Guild at Alexandria Music and kept my eye on it for awhile. About a year later, I sold the Ovation and bought a '69 D-35. That thing went everywhere with me. A couple of years later I bit the bullet and good ole Al Whitney sold me a G-212 to complement the six-string.

When I finished college I was headed into the Army via ROTC. In Augusta GA I bought a D-50 and sold the D-35 to a college buddy of mine. I wish I could find him now and ascertain the status of that old D-35. As the years roll by the sound rings evermore sweetly in my memory.

Since then I have owned a variety of Guilds. My current favorites are a '73 F50R, a '70 D40SB, and a late '80s D60.

CK
PS - My high school buddy was an Ovation guy. He bought a '97 D55 from this summer and is a convert.

PPS - DBS, it can be a small world sometimes.

Graham
12-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Sorry my mistake. I bought Cypress' DV52, it's kentuckblue that has the NT from cal, I believe. :oops:

Graham

Metalman
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
OK, I’ll chime in with my “first-Guild” story.

My dad passed away in ’79 in Saginaw, Michigan, my home town, and during the time I was there, I went to the local music store to look at guitars. I had purchased my first acoustic guitar there some years before, a Yamaha steel string. The salesman, a friend of mine, talked me into buying a brand-new Gibson Mark 77 acoustic for $450. This was the one with the futuristic, scientifically aligned and "superior" bridge.
As I was preparing to leave the store with my new guitar, and thinking about how I was going to be able to transport it safely back to NYC, the salesman suggested leaving it with them because “the bridge is in the wrong position, and we will fix it for you”. That was a defect that came with the Mark series guitars, they said, and their repair tech would remove the bridge, re-align it for me, and ship the guitar to me, free of charge. What did I know, so I said sure, go ahead.
Well, I received it some weeks later, and they did such a botch job on it, that I sent it right back to them to fix it. Got it back the second time, and it was worse than the first. I’m thinking, among other things, how could they release something like that? The bridge was lifting, the area on top behind the bridge was arching, and you could fit a screwdriver in the hole under the bridge.
(anybody else out there have one of these? And if so, did you have any problem with the bridge? I didn't think so . . .)

Well, besides all that, the guitar was decent to play, and sounded pretty good; but it was a wreck on the top. They had destroyed it. I had decided enough is enough.

Now, in hindsight, I should have just demanded my money back.

In the spring of ’82 I took it down to Silver & Horland, a popular music store on 48th Street, and sought to trade this thing in for either a Martin or Guild – something playable. After shaking their heads at the shoddy repair job on the bridge on the Gibson, the store owners ended giving me $100 towards a new guitar. Couldn’t afford $650 – 700 for the current Martin, (the equivalent of $1700-$2000 today) so I spent the next hour or two playing every Guild acoustic they had in the store – they had about a dozen. With a fine-toothed comb I scrutinized every one of them.
The “factory-second” D-50 was the best sounding one in the bunch, hands down. I walked out of there satisfied. Mostly because I was able to get rid of that headache Gibson, and move on.
It wasn’t until years later that I realized what a great guitar I had just purchased.
Still have it to this day. Will never sell it. It is perhaps not as loud as my arch-back F-30 (surprisingly), but the D-50 has so many overtones, that it practically plays itself. The grain on the spruce top is so tight, you can see the “ghost-wisps” running perpendicularly across. “Piano” and “cannon” are words that come to mind when I play it . . .

I’d post a picture, but you all know what these babies look like . . .

Metalman

walrus
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, I bought my D-64 first, in 1984 (new, but discounted because of a small, professioanlly repaired crack in the back). I had no idea it was "rare", I just knew I loved how it sounded. I traded a Martin D-35 for it (top of the line Martin!), and went home happy. This guitar sounds better every year!

walrus

70sSanO
01-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I am very blessed to have a real feel good story. I have told this story a number of times to various people and each time I am so thankful and so blown away.

I had taken piano lessons for about 5 years and wanted to play a different instrument. One day my Dad brought home an accordion; in shear terror I begged and pleaded to take guitar lessons. So I faithfully took the lessons and practiced on a rental guitar for nearly a year. My Mom went to Tracy Studio of Music in Bellflower, CA and bought a new Guild full scale M-65 for $220 and I got it as a combined December birthday and Christmas present when I was 13. A couple of years later I bought a beautiful late 50’s Guild Capri/T100 and my M-65 was left as a practice guitar for my friends and my brother’s friends to learn to play guitar.

Fast forward ten years and I had made my share of bad decisions. I needed money. I had already sold my Guild Capri and now I called my brother, he was still playing, to see if he knew anyone who would buy my M-65. Luckily he had a buyer and my Guild and first guitar was gone. So I was left with a single guitar, a freight damaged Ventura Classical. As time went on I straighten out my life, got a decent job, bought a house, got married, and settled down.

Fast forward another five years or so, I’m over at my Mom’s house with my wife and I’m talking about my Guilds and my Mom goes to her room and comes back with a guitar case in her hand… my M-65. She said she was the buyer and that she just didn’t want me to sell my first guitar because I needed a hundred bucks. She wasn’t going to give it back to me until she was convinced I had turned things around. She said she knew I would regret selling it someday. Since then I have acquired more guitars, played bass at our church; but it all started with my M-65.

So here it is hangtag, brochure and all…

http://photos.imageevent.com/70ssano/gu ... G_3029.JPG (http://photos.imageevent.com/70ssano/guitarstuff/icons/IMG_3029.JPG)

Jeff
01-23-2007, 02:38 AM
She said she was the buyer and that she just didn’t want me to sell my first guitar because I needed a hundred bucks

Far out !! :D

West R Lee
01-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Cool that you kept all of the paperwork, I wish I had. Heck, I remember when I was young and less enlightened, I considered pulling the Guild tag out of the soundhole of my D25. Glad I didn't.

West

coastie99
01-23-2007, 04:32 AM
That's a fab mum !

Wish I'd had one.

70sSanO
01-23-2007, 06:15 AM
What my Mom did was unbelievable. It chokes me up every time I think about it.

As for the paper work, well that's my Mom again. She had file cabinets and kept records for everything the family did. I even have report cards from the 1st grade!

dreadnut
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Great story, 70s! :D

When I went in the Navy, I think my mom gave away all my stuff, I'm surprised she didn't rent out my room! Of course, I brought my guitar with me to my first duty station, where it promptly got ripped off :evil:

However, rest her soul, she did get me started by buying me my first guitar when I was 15 years old, an old classical that I strung with steel strings :lol:

AlanS300-D
01-31-2007, 05:36 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I thought I'd share my story anyways, after reading so many great others.

My dad bought his black '79 S-300D back in early 1980 brand new. I think he said it was $350 bucks or something like that, he couldn't afford a Les Paul at the time, thank God :D

He played in his fairly succesfull rock band around the local clubs and it was his #1 guitar for years and years. Referencing to another post about how someone romaced his wife with a guitar and a good singing voice, and thats what happened.

Fast forward to 1988. My mother is pregnant with me (yeah im a young whippersnapper), and my dad is still playing every Saturday night out with his band. He'd practice down in the basement with a small PA and his Marshall almost every night, so I was loving the sound this guitar made even before I was born.

When I was a young child growing up, I would always love to listen to him sing and play at home all the time. I would sit down there and hang out with him while he played the Guild, while he waxed it and restrung it and I loved being around it.

When I was about 6 or 7 years old I started taking a real interest in music, and learned how to play the bass guitar and the trumpet. I soon got bored of that and wanted to broaden my musical horizon so to speak so I asked my father to teach me how to play the guitar. He grabbed a pad of paper and a pen and sat me down with his Ovation accustic and a few basic chords, and I went from there.

So around 1996 my parents got divorced and I was lucky enough to be able to see both of them about equal amounts. My dad had to sell off alot of his stuff for obvious reasons, and tried to sell the Guild, but to no avail. Thank God again :D

Fast forward again to December 2006. I consider myself a pretty good musician and I own 3 or 4 nice guitars and a couple good amps. My dad doesn't really play much music any more because of an injury to his left hand. He can still do it, but he gets frustrated easily. He begins to sell off all of his PA equipment and guitars.

So fate lands in my lap as I pop over to his house for a visit one frigid afternoon. He's just about to leave and go to the local music store to trade in a bunch more music gear. I notice the tan color of the Guild hardshell case under a pair of mic stands. I asked him about it and he says that he hardly plays it anymore, and that he hates to see it go. I think to myself "Oh no, no way"

I worked out a deal with him right then before he left for the music store. I went to my car and grabbed my Malmsteen Signature Strat out of the trunk and traded him for the Guilt straight up. I don't care if the Guild isnt worth as much as that Strat, I'm not letting that Guild out of the family, I thought. He sold the Strat and kept the money and I kept the Guild. Best guitar I have ever owned in my life. And what makes it even more special is that my father had me listening to it before I was born, all through my childhood, up untill now. I grew up with that thing, I love it. I truly do. The smell of the black carpeting in the case is one of those smells that brings you right back to when you were 4 years old, sitting on the couch with your dad strummin to "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles.

Theres no more words I can type to describe how much I care about this guitar. It brings a tear to my eye, all of the great memories Ive had with it, and I can't wait to make some more.

Sorry for the long read, but I hope you enjoyed it,
-Alan

Jahn
02-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Hello everyone, since this is my first day on the forums I picked this thread as the most appropriate to say hello. I actually started playing guitar out of necessity more than anything else, since when i was a kid at our church none of us knew how to play, and we were all stuck singing "old fogey hymns" acapella (well, these days some of those sound pretty awesome, which shows that i'm getting closer to old fogey age lol). my mom had this really awful Sekora korean parlor guitar she brought over to the States before I was even born, and was totally forgotten in the closet. So i dug it out, put my fingers down in a pattern that sounded ok (yes, i didn't even buy a chord book or know how to tune!) and we kinda made up our own stuff as i took 20 seconds to move from fake chord to fake chord. how's that for alternate tunings?

once i learned how to tune a guitar and play somewhat decent (learned the major and minor chords, had to tune the Sekora with pliers since it had no keys, had something resembling tennis strings wrapped around the posts 10 times) i got fed up and saved my pennies and got enough to get a used Epiphone with a brass saddle and everything. i don't even remember the model, i just called it "Nabi" ("Butterfly") and that nasty bug snapped strings like no tomorrow on that sharp brass saddle. but that thing was built like a tank (and played like lead cannon, you had to work up to pushing enough air, but that brass saddle really helped project) and that laminate top (laminate everything actually) stood up to everything i threw at it. ah, my black dreadnought. well go figure that eight years later when i was just making my way in the world, some punk kid stole it (out of a church, that jerk!) and pawned it according to the police. i never was able to hunt it down, even though i went to that pawn shop the moment i heard.

well by that time i had enough cash in my pocket to buy a good number of guitars, but none really spoke to me. come to think of it, i haven't named a guitar since. but instead of having a love(/hate) affair, i found my buddy - a beat up little guitar in the middle of nowhere, pennsylvania in a mom and pop guitar shop. the "pop" refused to sell it to me until it was playable, but i knew the lil guy was coming home with me, so i cash advanced him whatever he needed to get him up to snuff. amazingly, none of the cracks went all the way through the body except in the back, which i think the guy just glued together, and he replaced the saddle with some Tusq or something, and popped in some cheapo black plastic saddle pins. he called me to say he should have charged me more for it, and i'd know what he meant when i came over. sure enough, this thing was a mini cannon - no brass saddle needed, this guitar was all character and came about it the honest way. I still have it today, and after looking up a Guild Serial Number database linked from this site I know exactly what the little guy is - a Guild F-30-NT from 1965.

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/500/DSC00228.JPG
You can see that I have a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup I can pop off and on which i used to use to gig out with, but after settlilng down with a family only have time to use to record some stuff on my hard drive. I have a feeling he's going to outlive me, so i better name him soon!

Since then, I've been on a serious Guild kick to try and recapture the magic. I've owned a Westerly Guild D-4-12 and JF-30-Blk but they're gone now, and the only acoustic left in the house is my trusty old Aragon. Hey, maybe that's what I'll call him, "Aragon!" it's about time i guess!

This F30 does fingerstyle great, and strums a nice warm mahoghany hum, but someday I'll save serious pennies and get this guy's big brother into the house, the F-50. I've always wanted one, but living in a small apartment, having a huge cannon just didn't make sense. Maybe some day...

Well, thanks for reading all, glad to get all that Guild Love off my chest![/img]

Graham
02-02-2007, 04:05 AM
Welcome to the fold Jahn.

jp
02-04-2007, 03:02 AM
I told my story when I first joined this forum, but I'll retell.

I discovered Guilds when I was a poor, working musician. I only had a '76 Strat (couldn't afford a 60s) and an acoustic. I needed a jazz guitar and scrounged all my money for a Gibson ES-175. I went to our local guitar show prepared with a strategy--scout out all examples and wait until the last hour, when the dealers were ready to haggle. I must've played at least a dozen different ES-175s dated from the 50s to the 80s. As I waited it out in a corner, the dealer behind a table asked me what I was looking for. I told him and he handed me the guitar he was playing, a '64 CE-100. "Check this out," he said. It wasn't hard to convince me 'cuz that guitar had been played to death, with wear and mojo in all the natural places. It just felt and sounded right. Apparently, it was the guitar his employees played all the time, and they refused to let him sell it for two years. He thought it was finally time for it to move on, and I walked away with it as well as the extra $900 I saved. Even though it had a repaired headstock crack and no bridge pickup, which I really wanted, I bought it anyways with no regrets. Years later, I sold it to replace it with a '68 CE-100DP, which feels just as great. The guy I sold it to also had the exact same reaction that I did when he picked it up--he was amazed and overjoyed. Made me happy it was going to him. I'm sold on Guilds now. My next goal is a late-60s M-75 or perhaps, I'll explore the acoustics.

Here are some pics of my first love. . .sniff sniff. :cry:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261/elgatorisueno/1964GuildCE-100-3.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261/elgatorisueno/1964GuildCE-100-2.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261/elgatorisueno/1964GuildCE-100-1.jpg

Jahn
02-04-2007, 06:02 AM
wow that is gorgeous. i love "player's guitars" versus museum pieces. the old Chesterfield headstock inlay has to be one of the classiest out there!

john_kidder
02-04-2007, 07:05 AM
That's a lovely story of a fine guitar finding a couple of good homes.

Thanks,

jp
02-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks Jahn
I know what you mean about player guitars vs. museum pieces. My '59 T-100 is really clean, but I always feel afraid to pull it out of the case. I think daily of just buying a beat 60s (I like the slimmer neck) T-100 or Starfire that I don't have to baby so much and can outfit as I like with impunity.

And thanks John
I liked your synchronicitous (taking liberties with webster's) story too. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason!

John

mad dog
02-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I've played some pretty amazing guilds through the years, most notably a couple of wonderful sounding 12 strings from the 60s. Always been curious about them. Finally pulled the trigger on a Dearmond M75T. Played a used Bluesbird for two minutes at a store last week, and now that one's much on my mind. Maybe soon.

d-rock
03-23-2007, 04:42 PM
So here's my story:

My uncle was the guitar player of the family and always brought his acoustic along wherever he went, family functions, holidays and just hanging out. Growing up in upstate NY, we got used to seeing his D-35 come out of the case after dinner to play some Tim Hardin, Cat Stevens, CSN and other favorites. Along the way he would tell me stories of how he and my parents would go down to Greenwich Village during the 60s folk movement and his experiences at Woodstock. (Side note: his Late 60s D-35 was stolen years ago and he eventually bought an '84 D-35 to replace it)

Because of these family experiences, I always felt that the holy grail of acoustics were Guilds.

Fast forward to just after I graduated from college in '99. I was ready to upgrade my plywood Takamine acoustic to something better when I came across an '85 D-35 hanging in one of my favorite hangouts, Guitar Den in Orlando, FL. I was able to get the guitar in trade for my Takamine and a 90s Epiphone Casino which I had gotten very frustrated with since I bought it with a repaired headstock and wouldn't stay in tune.

When I brought the Guild to the next family get-together, my uncle and I discovered that my D-35 was separated from his by just 190 units according to the serial numbers!

This acoustic is easily the best sounding and recording guitar I've come across. I'll never part with it.

sonny michaels
03-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Rewind to 1971. I already had my first good electric and amp under my belt - a late 60s ES335 and a Fender Deluxe. I felt it was time for a decent acoustic and a better amp. (The Deluxe just wasn't cutting through drummers, etc.)

I had saved quite a bit of money from my candy store job and I went down to Silver & Horland Music in lower Manhattan. They later moved up to 48th St. in Midtown and no longer exist. Anyway, I ended up with an early 70s SF Twin Reverb (wish I still had it - it was awesome) and an early 70s Guild D50. I still have that!!

I tried Martins, Gibbys, Fenders, and Guilds, all in that $300 or so price range, and I kept coming back to the D50. That was the one that spoke to me. So, for about $330, I had my first, and still my only good acoustic guitar. Wish I had the money for more Guilds, both acoustic and electric. They've produced some fine instruments over all these years.

Jake The Loafer
03-24-2007, 03:58 PM
This is my story in a nutshell. In 4th grade elem. school I signed up for the band. I chose a guitar but they didn't use any. My mom asked if I wanted to learn piano or a wind instrument. Well, I picked the trumpet & played it until 7th grade. I really didn't enjoy it much so I finally got kicked out of the class for acting up. A good friend & his buddy were playing guitars & had a little duo going for a while. My friend taught me how to play the theme from Peter Gun. I talked my folks into a guitar & some lessons. They leased me a Gibson Melody Maker & small amp. I played around but never real serious.

At about 13, I found a Fender Strat that had been refinished in white & I had to have it. I spent some of my Bar Mitzvav money & got it w/ Tweed case for around $200 or so. I new nothing about set up etc & this bugger had a high action & very hard to play. I wish I never got rid of it but that is another story. I was a stupid young kid & didn't know what I had.

Fast forward to around 21. My first wife bought me a cheap acoustic no name. I noodeled around but never was any good (still not). After we split I went out & looked at guitars & didn't now much. I found the Alvarez line & chose one that was around $300. They took my cheapo & I financed the balance for a couple of years. I still own it.

I had always been interested in Karate & Judo so I started lessons in '72. Got tired of being thrown around in Judo & thought the Karate would be easier on my body. Little did I know. 30 years later my body is wrecked but I wouldn't stop. I played my Alvarez during this time but I was always nursing bad fingers, etc & it made it hard to play. My life then was Karate, 24/7.

In '86 I found a '66 Fender DuoSonic for $100 & bought it. Played around w/ it & the Alvarez when my hands would let me. I still have it.

Around '91 I wanted a new Fender & bought my first Tele brand new & found a 'late 70's SFTR. I started playing it & a year later got another Strat.

It went downhill from there. I found the FDP & learned a lot of info. From there I went nuts. One nite I decided to visit the Guild/DeArmond forum & this was around the time the DeArmonds were being dc'd. I put in an order for a T-400 but never was lucky enough to get one. Then I started reading about the Guilds. I found one that looked nice & ordered it over the net. This was my first, an X-170T. I sort of went nuts since that first Guild & now have many.

I still own all the axes I bought except I sold my Tele B-Bender a month ago because I spent alot of money on my house & I needed to try & get some back.

Hans was very helpfull when I would ask him some questions about the various Guilds that I've bought.

My house looks like a music store w/ 20+ guitar cases, 7 amps & a big carvin PA system.

Now if I could just play better. So, this is my story. I still want more Guilds.

capnjuan
03-25-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Guild: F412

Capnjuan scratching out Cripple Creek a la Leo Kottke on his first Guild, an F412, c.1981:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/capnjuan/capjuanf412.jpg
Fresh out of B-school, I moved to Guidzillaville a/k/a Columbus OH in 1979. I started looking for a new guitar and found an authentic luthier's shop somewhere on the south side of town. Hanging on the wall was a used F412 which I took down and strummed; then I had the well-documented Guild 12-string epiphany - bold, deep, musical...well, I know you 12-ers know what I'm talking about and you (Guild) 6-ers know it too.

The owner wanted more than I was willing to pay, besides, having just been to B-school, I figured that with some leg work, I might find one as good but less expensive. I went to another music shop and ordered a new, cheaper F412; waited, it showed up, and it was perfect...except it was brand new.

The new model didn't come with a fully-developed 'voice' like the wall-hanger had. I figured it didn't have the benefit of aging gracefully on the wall of a humidity-controlled luthier's shop. Anyway, it didn't sound as robust and didn't have the volume that the luthier's model had.

Given its cost and beauty, I kept it in its case all the time. Assuming my theory about aging was correct, this did nothing to allow the glues and finish to cure, the wood to age, and the guitar to gain its voice. Shortly after I bought the guitar, I married and my wife came in a blisterpack with two sweet young kids. I was, and still am, what the boyz on HC call a 'bedroom' player; folk, blues, country - plenty of people already doing what I do and do it better than I.

I would take the guitar out of what was becoming its coffin, hammer out some Ian and Sylvia, Leo the K, and Fahey-istic stuff. The kids were great; they listened politely and when I was done, they would innocently ask who these people were. I patiently explained my musicology against the backdrop of Hall and Oates, the Cars, Police, Kiss...I think you know where I'm going with this; I felt like I was playing a cello.

Anyway, family demands and a weakening interest in the music coupled with the guitar's failure to gain a voice meant it spent alot of time in its case further diminishing any chance of gaining its voice. I also screwed up by leaving the strap on it with that sort of fuzzy neoprene backing; if there a few of you left out there who don't already know, the guitar's finish can be damaged by long-term exposure to the stuff...like folding the strap under the guitar in the case.

I finally sold it in 1983 to a guitar shop on McArthur Blvd. in the west end of Washington DC. I don't wish I had it back; I wish I'd bought the first one...like Woody jumping on the Gibbie...sometimes you have to go with your instincts.

Update: Edited: (Dog's pic gone - he said I posted his image without his consent) Capnjuan on the back porch with the F212.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/capnjuan/capjuanf212b.jpg

guildzilla
03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey, Cap'n. Legislation to change the name of Ohio's capital to Zillaville continues to languish in committee at the statehouse.

Actually, my wife and I moved to Columbus in 1982. We are both Youngstown natives. Y-town is a far more colorful place and breeds more interesting creatures.

So it sounds like we missed each other by a year or so.

Curious to ask. What was the name of the store where you ordered the F-412? Was it Sweetwater Music?

capnjuan
03-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Couldn't say 'Zilla;

If I had to find it again, I'd say it was still in town, in a strip mall west and north of where I lived on Neil Ave just below OSU.

Haven't been back since. Never made it to Y-town but, in those days, Columbus was a pretty sleepy place; you know, some weiner schnitzel, a beer, and go to bed.

There was a jazz club on the east side of town that attracted some of the bigger names; Wynton Marsalis (sp?), others and the Ohio Theater booked good acts; I saw Leo Kottke there.

But, other than that...

J

guildzilla
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Yep, Sweetwater Music was in a strip center about 3-4 miles northwest of OSU/Neil. Same place I purchased my first Guild. They went out of business several years after the big box stores - Sam Ash and Guitar Center - arrived.

capnjuan
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Probably was Sweetwater then; good price, straight-forward people.

I've been to the Guitar Center in West Palm Beach; it was a madhouse. They go through the motions there with acoustic guitars but they make their money selling dreams and cheesy/high-margin stuff to kids.

stevieboy
03-26-2007, 04:29 PM
This looks like a good place for my first post.

In 1978 I was working in a camera store in downtown San Diego. I had recently immigrated to California from Boston, and had sold my guitar, a Yamaha acoustic, as everything I brought with me had to fit in my little car--not really that hard at that time of life.

Anyway, this guy shows up and introduces himself as being from the Guitar Center around the corner. He wanted to buy a camera and asked if we knew we had a reciprocal discount agreement that they had worked out through our repair department. "Oh really!" I said and after checking what the agreement was proceeded to set the guy up with a great deal on the most usable, though not the sexiest, camera we had.

When he left he of course invited me to come over and he'd fix me up with a guitar. My friend who also worked in the store and I both went over and he said the best deal/quality we could get was on a Guild D25M. I was aware of Guild because I had seen Bonnie Raitt many times before she hit it big performing solo with her Guild. I'm sure I would have gone for it anyway, but that sealed it. My friend and I each bought one. I still have it, and I think my friend still has his as well. (My friend @20 years later bought a Taylor factory direct from the same guy, who had gone on to work for them.)

I have two other Guilds, both electric, including my most recent which I've had about a week, but those are for other threads!

capnjuan
03-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Welcom Stevieboy!

Thanks for the post; I look forward to more re/ the electrics.

JH

jp
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Welcome stevieboy! Glad to have another Guild fan around.

Hey guildzilla and capnjuan,

I'm also a former Columbusite, and I used to love to poke my head in Sweetwater Music all the time. They always had interesting used stuff and were dealers for some quality guitars. When they first starting carrying Heritage guitars, I'd go in and drool over them all the time. Aside from strings and picks, my only purchase from them was a sweet little 1929 Slingerland Maybelle tenor banjo. As with a lot of gear from my working days, I had to sell it. Before this current trend of interest in old Americana music, no one wanted it, and I sold it at the Columbus Guitar show to a Scot who was ecstatic. It had a nice painting of roses on the back as well. Sigh! :( Oh well, it went with a slew of gear I sold before I moved overseas.

Anyways, lots of fond memories of Columbus' great music scene, where I came of age as a musician.

capnjuan
04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi JP:

I was only in Columbus for a year or so and didn't stick around long enough to learn to appreciate it. I don't know about now but, going on 30 years ago, it was a socially conservative place; had to drive into the county to go to the naughty bars...uh...or so I was told...

Odd place; a lot of important diverse pieces and parts; insurance, banking, state capital, manufacturing, university, and not-for-profits all surrounded by 200 years of established agriculture.

zom-zom
04-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Technically, I suppose I own a Guild but it hasn't arrived yet.

I started playing bass and guitar around 1974. My first guitar was a '64 Melody Maker. Since then I've had Les Pauls, SGs, an Explorer, Firebird, Strat, Teles, Jazzmaster, Rickenbacker, I even own a Veleno.

Yet, I never had an acoustic guitar.

Only last week I started researching acoustics. I work in a studio that does a lot of acoustic music, so I see tons of great guitars every week. No Guilds hardly ever though.

I had friends that owned some Guild acoustics years ago, and for some reason I thought I'd look up Guilds and see what the models were. Then I looked at eBay to see what was available. I was drawn to the D-25M because of the dark finish and the low price. I found out they were very popular and well-regarded so I bid on one. I was going to limit my bid at $600, then decided to up it to $610 when I was outbid. I didn't think it would win, but it did and from the messages I exchanged with the seller I think I did good. He said it's had very little use since he bought it new in 1979. It should be here Friday, I'm excited.

capnjuan
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
You may find the hard part of owning one is not running out and buying every one you look at.

regards,

jp
04-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Sounds exciting zom-zom. I have a slew of vintage instruments, but I've always played this beat up Seagull that I bought new when they first came out about 20 years ago. I've been finally considering a Guild acoustic, and I'm going to test drive some D-25s myself next week. Really want an F-20. I'm kinda giddy, like when I bought my first bike.

Incidentally, my solid top Seagull sounds better every year, and because I scratched the emblem off the headstock, it drives people nuts guessing what it is. Surprisingly, it's a lot more resonant than a lot of Gibsons and Martins.

jp
04-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey capn,

I lived in Columbus for about 15 years from mid-80s to late 1990s. I was there during the peak of OSU enrollment--about 68,000 strong--the largest in the country. It was nuts, and has since evolved to a very young, vibrant, and culture-filled city. Big money still controls all, though, and the conservative base is very evident. Musically, though, it's a pretty varied and lots of fun. Still have lots of friends there.

capnjuan
04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Columbus was a road not taken for me JP; had a good job offer with one of the big banks; turned it down in favor of another that took me home to the Wash DC area.

I really liked the place...except for the occasional long drive...

When I was there, Olentangy (sp?) Mgmt Co, an arm of the Batelle (sp?) Institute, was buying brick Victorian houses, knocking down sub-standard ones, moving/refurbishing the Vics, and putting them back on the market just south of OSU.

Extraordinary really; an instant, 'new' neighborhood looking like it had just stepped out of the 1920s. Not that it's my field but I've seen urban renewal done quite so well.

While were sort of on the subject of OSU, I hate to have to add this but: "Go Gators!"

regards, cj

guildzilla
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Well, Capn, just to pick up on your post, that development in Columbus became Victorian Village. It was quite a success and 25 years later still a very nice urban area. Meanwhile the portion of High St. between south campus and downtown evolved from slum Short North to the trendy Short North, more or less the center of the local arts scene - galleries, bars and restaurants.

I do not hang out there. It is one of those places that make me feel like an old guy.

capnjuan
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I lived in the 1100 Block of Neil Ave just south of the U. The houses that were relocated south and west of me were similar to the one I was in; 1st quality orginal construction. Lots of architectural features; grandish staircases, high ceilings, stained and beveled glass windows, back rooms with windows on 3 sides, slate roofs, windy back stairs - all of it.

I know 'that' senation only too well. I'm thinking more about giving of my time to nursing and senior convalescent facilities...also so I can be of service...

I also knew that, by the time I could afford a house in Victorian Village, I wouldn't be able to afford a house in Victorian Village. Had we stayed, it would probably have been Upper Arlington (?) on the west side; we really liked the neighborhood.

The Guilds of Grot
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I go to Columbus every July for a Trade Show at the Convention Center.

Shure 'nuff, the Short North is the trendy spot now. We still like to get down to Ludlow's in the Brewery District every now and then.

We also like the Blues Station over behind the Market. Saw Bo Didley Jr. there one night. he put on a great show.

Hang on..I might have some pictures from that night...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/unado/100_0427.jpg

Does this look familiar to anyone?
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/unado/100_0416.jpg

The one-legged guitar player!
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/unado/100_0421.jpg

Me and Bo!
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/unado/100_0426.jpg

capnjuan
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
What happened to Bo, diabetes?

The Guilds of Grot
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't know, I was too drunk too remember!

capnjuan
04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Did you get his siggy?

At the risk of sounding overly competitive here, my bro once shook hands with Little Richard. Maybe if he'd been drunk, you could have gotten Bo to sign his Gibbie and then front it for him on eBay.

Or short circuit the process and just scrawl 'Bo' on a beater; I'm not seeing much distinction between spray-painting a box with the G sign and dummying up Bo's 'mark' so to speak:

"...may have been played by Elvis..."

"...this beater looks to have been signed by 'Bo' himself..."

The recent flailing of William of SmallStone teaches that the word 'truthful' means containing at least some element of truth. In this case and provided the scrawl bears at least a passing resemblance, the 2nd statement is 'truthful' and it wouldn't matter who put it there.

Just how can so many make a living on eBay these days?

jp
04-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Hey, I used to play at Ludlow's a lot! It had the reputation of a bit of a meat market kinda joint in the early 90s, and you could feel the hormones in the air. They always treated musicians well, though, and there was always lotsa nice eye candy!

Columbus has changed quite a bit in the brief time I've been gone. A lot of the kind of nice neighborhoods have become very pricey. The whole Arena district, as it's called, wasn't even there, and the notorious "South Campus" bar area has been torn down to make a consumer-focused, shopping area instead of the crazy, shabby clubs and small shops--end of an era. :(
At least Comfest, the big summer music festival is still going strong and expanding.

What's really weird in the camous area is that on weekend nights, instead of streets packed with kids out letting loose after midterms, the sidewalks seem eerily empty. Maybe they're all online in myspace!

West R Lee
04-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Grot,

It's just not fair. You just look too darned young to have so many Guilds!!!

West

Scratch
04-07-2007, 02:13 AM
It's Friday Zom Zom. What does she look like?

The Guilds of Grot
04-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Grot,

It's just not fair. You just look too darned young to have so many Guilds!!!

West

I hope I'm not too young to be part of this "Geezer" forum. :wink:

It also helps that I started collecting Guilds in my late twenties.

zom-zom
04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
It's Friday Zom Zom. What does she look like?

http://www.zom-zom.com/images/d-25.jpg

Well, this is how the headstock looks, the rest of the guitar looks excellent, but I would rather have had it attached when I received it.

My troubles are chronicled under the D-25 thread. I'm working on resolving this with the seller and they are attempting to get reimbursed by the clumsy monkeys at Fedex.

The Guilds of Grot
04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Holy Crap is that a bummer. Of all the guitars I've had shipped to me. I've never had to suffer the disapointment that must have brought :cry:

capnjuan
04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
This pic makes me :evil:

I don't know how many paid claims it will take before UPS / FedEx start to have their profits eroded. Since they are likely to be self-insuring, their insurance carrier probably never sees these...

Wow.

Graham
04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I shipped one guitar FedEx, locally. When I took it in, the gal at the desk asked me if I had packed it well, because, as she pointed to a picture on the wall of the sorting plant, she said it needs to take the impact of something like this, with up to 400 lbs of weight on it.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/Graham_61/Misc/fedex.jpg

Although they say to write "Fragile" on the box, I don't think it applies to inside the plant. :shock:

capnjuan
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Or withstand something like this:http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/capnjuan/trucking_1.jpg

What did Zom Zom called them; clumsy monkeys? Musta been one of them at the wheel. I've been inside the USPS Bulk Mail facility in Jacksonville FL; similar to Graham's pic; given the total # of parcels, they're probably lucky to hold the damaged goods ratio to 1% or so...

Jake The Loafer
04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
:cry: That sucks! I would have cried & flipped my lid if I had received that. Hope you can get your $$$ back.

These shipping companies suck & should take better care of things that they know will break.

Scratch
04-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Zom Zom,
What a doggone shame; one less Guild on the earth... Some things just ain't right... My condolences to you. There's no excuse for their lack of concern. Makes me want to consider driving to whereever I find my next Guild!

zom-zom
04-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting for this to be resolved.

I brought the guitar to Hoffman Guitars in Mpls, a very good repair shop/luthier. $175 for the basic repair, another $100+ to make it look good.

It was packed very well, with Fragile stickers all over it. It had to have been thrown around to break like that.

Jahn
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
all in all that's not a bad price to revive such a bad break, so that in itself is a good break!

i was near neurotic when i had my F312 shipped here UPS Ground - had him bubblewrap the headstock and the endpin and the sides where it wasn't flush with the inside of the case, then wrap the outside neck of the case until it was the same diameter of the body, then put it in a box and foam peanut every last crack before doubletaping it up.

it took a decade to unwrap (and my kid had a field day with the peanuts) but it arrived safe and sound. oh, and had him detune the strings too to reduce tension on the headstock. never can be too careful! when i shipped my JF-30 out to someone i did the same (actually double-boxed) and added a humidifier to boot since it was pretty dry this winter.

espresso1971
06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok, here goes-

I played through high school, sitting in with different people here and there. Musicians tend to run toogether...you know how it is, this person knows that person-knows that person; etc. etc.

Anyways, marriage happens and sacrifices were made. Enough said about that. The guitar I had sat in it's case for a number of years.

Few months back I decided to pick it back up. Wasn't happy with the guitar I had, so I hit a music store and tried several brands. I had "Martin" on the brain, till I picked up a Corona GAD 30. I was blown away at the richness of tone and how freakin loud this guitar was. I think it retailed for around $650 to $680 and it shut down guitars that were selling for 4 to 6 thousand. I left that shop with one thought- gonna get a guild. Had a bonus paycheck comin up, I'm getting one.

So I put the feelers out and a friend found a D4 that I have now in a pawn shop. I consider it a rescue because it was so filthy that the MOP fret dots looked painted on. Some TLC and a trip to the luthier (bridge reset-new bone saddle and nut-and a set up) and it sings again. 8)

That's my story, retracing my steps, learning new things-relearning things forgotten. Having a blast. Good to be here.
Thanks!

Graham
06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Nice Brent, another case of that GAD line, with GUILD on the headstock, stopping somebody in their tracks and changing their mind.

Guildmark
06-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I fell in love with Guild by watching Tommy Smothers.
I fell in love with 12-strings by watching John Denver and listening to Leo Kottke.
When the time came to get a quality 12 to replace my Washburn, I was living in Stamford, CT. There was a small music shop owned by two body-building brothers. I had seen them perform together as a singing-acoustic guitar-duo around town so I started my shopping in their store. They did a great cover of "House at Pooh Corner". Sorry, I don't remember their names. When I went in all I knew was I wanted a Guild 12. They gave me a catalog which I studied for several days. The dreadnaught shape was it for me. Rosewood was it for me. The G-312 was like a siren's song - there was no way to resist it. I placed my order at the brothers' shop in December, '77, with the Barcus-Berry Hot Dots option. It arrived from Westerly in April '78, and it's been with me ever since. I've told my daughter it goes to her in my will. She was thrilled. She's even asked to play it a couple of times since then.

Graham
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
They did a great cover of "House at Pooh Corner".

That's a great song, difficult, but great.

fronobulax
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
How about it, when did you first fall in love with a Guild guitar?

I taught myself bass at the end of high school because playing tuba lacked a certain coolness factor. I played a Fender Jazz and a Guild Starfire that belonged to friends and owned a no-name solid body. When I decided I was serious enough to have a "real" bass, I gravitated towards Guild. My hands are small and it was much easier to play the Starfire than the Jazz. The crowd I travelled with was also down on Fender in general because that was what every one played. I walked into the music store and walked out with a new '71 Guild JS II. It had the neck I liked. I have not been able to recall why I didn't look for a Starfire - price, perhaps? - but I realized that was my true love and so bought a used '67 SF I in '77. As I recall the appeal of Guild was that it had the short scale and it was not what everyone else was playing at the time. Somewhat suprisingly, I was not interested in emulating Jack Casady or Phil Lesh which seems to be why many other bassists at that time headed for Guilds.

Graham
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
I taught myself bass at the end of high school because playing tuba lacked a certain coolness factor.

Hey I played the tube, whatdayamean lacked a coolness factor? What's uncool about this?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/Graham_61/tuba.jpg

fronobulax
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I taught myself bass at the end of high school because playing tuba lacked a certain coolness factor.

Hey I played the tube, whatdayamean lacked a coolness factor? What's uncool about this?

You see, my chops usually failed before the guitarist finished her solo and we could only do In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida once a month or so.

Actually if I had heard what Freebo was doing with tuba on Bonnie Raitt's recordings or just found people who played Dixieland I might have stayed with tuba.

Graham
06-14-2007, 02:25 PM

You see, my chops usually failed before the guitarist finished her solo and we could only do In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida once a month or so.

Actually if I had heard what Freebo was doing with tuba on Bonnie Raitt's recordings or just found people who played Dixieland I might have stayed with tuba.

OK then, I thought you were slagging all of the cool tuba players.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/Graham_61/tuba1.jpg

sfIII
09-22-2007, 05:59 PM
This such an interesting topic.and with many new people on the board one can be added to endlessly. I don't think I've ever fessed up about my first Guild and my drillers are a bit sluggish today here in KY.

So:

Back in 2002, I started working on the Saluda Dam - which holds back Lake Murray near Columbia, SC. I had moved in to a fifth wheel camper near the dam (but uphill). I didn't have TV, Phone, or Internet. Now, I had known Bill Schultz all of my life, and he had gotten me my first guitar back in 1969 when he worked for Yamaha. It was a low end classical with tuners from hell and a way too wide fret board for me. I knew he worked at Fender, but really didn't have much of an appreciation for what he had done to revive the company nor that he was the CEO. He was just someone who I visited when out west and who visited me and my family when he came east. I happened to be talking to him, and mentioned that I might like tod try playing a guitar in my new somewhat primitive living arrangement. I had not played guitar since the 1970. He told me that he had recently bought this Guild company and I should look at the web and pick something out. Well I didn't know anything about woods or jumbos vs dreadnoughts or much more that two or three chords.. But I did manage to pick out a F47RCE, called Bill and told him that B-stock would be fine and he should send me a bill.

Well shortly afterward a big box arrived, and I got a very nice Corona made guitar, which I plucked around on for a year or so, until I bought a Strat (89 HM) off of ebay. Suddenly, guitar playing was much easier, but a HM strat is not my type of guitar, and I traded it for a Guild T-50... and was and still am playing every day. Along the way I have become fascinated with tone, and now have several arch tops, a handful of chambered solid bodies (NB, BB and Teles) and a Rosewood, Maple, and Mahogany, of both Dreadnoughts and Jumbos. Plus a few others.

So I have an addiction to Guitars in general and Guilds in particular thanks to Bill Schultz.

Howard

09-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Bought my first Guild, a d25 M back when I was 20 or so, 25 years ago. I helped that I was taking lessons at a Guild dealer. :lol: Got my '67 Starfire III a little bit later, when I walked into a hole-in-the-wall music store. Hanging up next to the cheap Hamers and Squires was this RED singlecut hollowbody with the Bigsby handle missing. Being a George Thorogood fan at the time, I managed to convince the shop owner to take a pathetically small down payment to hold it, and I paid it off a paycheck at a time. It cost me about $250, or so. I picked up my Astro Jet Gretsch the same way. Later I stopped into another hole-in-the-wall and picked up a T100D for $400. Had the original case and Bigsby, it was so clean and original that you could still smell the lacquer. It was like it had come right out of the inspection area.

Hit me. Hard. Multiple times.

I went through a tough stretch where I was out of work and sold the T100 and the D25 for peanuts. After I sold them, I got a job the next month, and when I went back, they had both been sold. Later on, I was convinced to sell my Starfire to a friend on the condition that I was given first chance to buy her back if he ever sold it.

I did get her back, so I did have a partial happy ending, but I think of the ones that I could have gotten for fairly cheap, like the Starfire bass (fretless!) or the SF4, or that Thunderbird I could have had for a song.

Dumbass. :evil:

JerryR
09-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey

I've just noticed this old thread and read all your life histories - so many of you playing since you were in diapers (even West, so he must be really good despite what he says :!: ) I avoided the whole guitar thing in my teens and din't even start until I was about 30 (which is why I'll never be any good). I got roped into a folkie band then as a singer. Great, but I wanted to try open mic solo at places and tried to learn a couple of chord on a classical guitar strung with metal strings I'd borrowed from someone in the band. Soon after, I bought the Epiphone Texan from new (around 1980), and used this exclusively until May this year. I always found it difficult to paly - put it down to my own lack of skill, but since getting the D35 in May realised the 'action' of the Epi was up the creek. I've taken it to a luthier the good guitarists I know use - he said the Guild could have a couple of minor improvements (I'll take it to him when I get the Epi back, or just before I vacation in Mexico in November), but he didn't know how I'd managed to play the Epi at all :!: This is now having major surgery (he's already had it well over 2 weeks).

Anyway, back in May this year I wandered into Vintage and Rare Guitars in Bath - loads of Martins, some Taylors, even some Gibsons - but only one Guild D35. Back in the 80s people in the band spoke of Martin, Gibson and Guild as 'the acoustic guitars', so I asked to have a go on it - and that was it. Had to buy it, even though it was £850 ($1,700). Since when it has been greatly admired in the Folk Clubs, and generally reckoned to improve the sound of my attempted accompaniment no end :)

Scotter
09-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Back in the very late 70's, the best guitar teacher I ever had played a Guild dreadnaught and that was the best guitar of that type I had seen. Someone in this thread mentioned Hondo, and that’s what I was playing, too. It was a Hondo II Les Paul Junior copy.

In a later period (mid 80's) I had a fascination with big band comping rhythm style and was looking for an ES-175 type instrument. These were very expensive at that time (I was still in college), but I ran across a '65 Guild CE-100D that sounded good, but was a bit beat. It needed a refret and a good home. My first archtop!

I had it refretted and have been playing it on and off ever since. It has worked great for numerous big band gigs, but it’s also cool for rockabilly and jump blues if you don’t turn up too loud.

I’m now in the process of replacing the worn-out pots, and looking into trying out the GFS NYII single coils. More life for the old girl!

Scottie

The EH Man
09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I picked up my first Guild, the S-200 Thunderbird, at a yard sale in Mitchell, IN in 1986 or 87. I saw it from the street as I drove past and made a quick U-turn. I had to borrow the money from my mom to buy it, but I couldn't pass it up for $75.

You can see it here: http://www.ronsound.com/jetstar.html along with my later acquired Jet Star bass.

Carol
10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
In 1976 I had purchased a beautiful, handmade, SL Mossman Tennessee Flattop. It was an outstanding instrument -- and I cherished it. I say "was" because in 1980, a friend of mine dropped it -- smashing a large hole in the side. He felt quite upset about it. We were in a band at the time, so I left the Mossman in our practice room. I couldn't bear to look at it. Over the weekend, my friend "fixed it" by patching the hole using a mixture of the lose chunks of wood and about three pounds of wood glue. He was quite proud of his repair job. I thanked him.

Of course, it sounded dreadful. There was no life left in it. And it broke my heart to even look at it, much less play it.

So I sold it for $100. And headed to the music shop for a replacement. I wasn't sure I'd ever find anything I loved more. I knew Martins weren't for me. To this day, I can't stand the sound of them. I'm sure some of the very expensive models are nice, but anything in MY price range is awful.

The shopkeeper handed me a Guild D-35 NT. I handed him $468 and walked away with that guitar in its hardshell case. I still think about that Mossman and the accident that lead me to my Guild. I think she gave her life for a very worthy cause!

Carol

marcellis
10-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Henry Kissinger had signed a Cease-Fire agreement in Paris in January 1973. I was enjoying myself, a SP4 in Saigon. At any rate, my unit was promptly ordered home.

I wasn't used to driving a car. Outside of Denver, a drunk ran a red light and smashed the front-end of my car. It was in Limon, I think around March 1973.

My EKO 12 string was destroyed in the collision. The car was totaled. Insurance covered the car & the guitar. I went shopping for an Ovation like Glen Campbell had.

A music store around St. Joe Missouri had a cherry red guitar hanging on the wall. It was a "Guild". I'd never heard of the brand. I played the Ovation Balladeer. Then I played a few others before I got around to the Guild. I strummed it once or twice and was damned impressed.

I went home maybe 2 days to think about it. Couldn't get the sound of the cherry-red 1972 Guild D-25 out of my head. I went back and bought it.

That was around the middle of March, 1973. I'd just turned 21. When I had just turned 51, 30 years later, I had the neck reset and gave the little red dread to my son. In 2006. I had it restored for his birthday present.

Scratch
10-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I wasn't used to driving a car. Outside of Denver, a drunk ran a red light and smashed the front-end of my car. It was in Limon, I think around March 1973.

My EKO 12 string was destroyed in the collision. The car was totaled. Insurance covered the car & the guitar. I went shopping for an Ovation like Glen Campbell had.

Marcellis, time to shop for a Guild 12er... :D :D

capnjuan
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
+1

marcellis
10-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Marcellis, time to shop for a Guild 12er... :D :D[/quote]

I know Guild makes the best 12's. But that EKO was my last 12 string.
My music partner, Peter Streit, who is keeping my D-40 and F-65 until I come back
from Asia later this month, has at least two Guild 12 strings. He's got a JF-55,
Taylor 814CE, Collings and a cheap Mexican Strat.

Great guitarist BTW.

I've evolved (or devolved). I hate 12 strings now. I just hate the damned things.
I sometimes used to string the old D-25 with the high strings off a 12. It's called
"Nashville tuning". I like that sound better than the sound of a 12.

LouisW1959
10-11-2007, 05:08 PM
When I was 13 I wanted to learn to play the guitar. My dad was a caterer and approached one of the band leaders at a weddings he was caterering and asked him if he knew of a guitar to purchase for his son (me). One week later he came home with a soft leather case containing my new (used) guitar that he paid $250.00 for... I opened the case and immediately fell in love with a Guild CA 100 Blonde. This guitar had a floating pickup and played wonderfully with or without amplification. Unfortunately when I was 15 I was trying to get into a band and the CA 100 caused alot feedback.... Stupidly, as I really wanted to get into that band, I traded the Guild to a friend of mine for a Fernandez Strat .... Really stupid of me.... I have been searching for a CA 100 ever since... I often see CE 100's on GBASE or EBAY... but never a CA 100.....

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

capnjuan
10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Louis and welcome: don't know the CA 100 model but many others here and I know that 'what was I thinking' thing all too well ... a little more forgiveable I guess when you're young ...but still feels the same .. :cry:

cj

huitzlopochtli
10-15-2007, 03:08 AM
I was looking for a 12 string, but I only knew about taylors and martins. After some ebay searching (and a peek into this here forum...) I knew I had to have a guild. I wanted the 'lifetime guitar', you know, where I bequeath it to my grandkids on my deathbed. So, I took a job as a MCAT teacher and scraped together enough to buy a beautiful F112 off eBay for $750 + $35 for the setup. She just sings...I couldn't be happier.