When and how did you acquire your first Guild?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about it, when did you first fall in love with a Guild guitar? I'll start...

Having been through a succession of cheaper guitars including Epiphones and Univox, I decided to go out and get a real guitar. The last guitar I'd owned, a 12 String Japanese Epiphone, was stolen from my barracks while I was in the Navy :evil: When I inquired about insurance or coverage I was told: "Son, if they wanted ya to have a guitar, they'da issued ya one."

Consequently, I avoided GAS for the rest of my enlistment. As soon as I got out of the Navy and found a job at home, I went to Grinnells Music with my first paycheck and bought a brand new 1976 Guild D-25M for $300.00 out the door, including hard shell case. Compared it to Martin D-18's and a mahogany Gibson in the same store, the Guild won hands down both in terms of beauty and tone - the Guild was heavier, it looked and felt and sounded richer and just grabbed me as being the finer instrument with more attention paid to the detail in the wood and finish.

The tone was another thing. There was no comparison in tone, the Guild really rang out and resonated, especially on the bottom end- I don't know how to describe it other than it sounded like hitting the low E on a piano.

The bonus was, the Guild only cost half as much as the Martin :D And honestly, I walked in there hoping to get a Martin if I could based on "what everybody said" about Martins.

Anyway, the D-25's been to a thousand campfires, jam sessions, gigs, and on plenty of airplanes, and she still sounds like a piano :D Bought her a new set of tusq / abalone end pins from Don for her 30th birthday :D

drowlins

Reaction score
In 1968 I bought a 64 Guild M-20 from a friend of mine. Learned my first licks on it, romanced my wife with it, sang to my children with it, then taught them their first licks on it. It's still with me, holding a place of honor in the guitar room. It's a bit worse for wear, and needs a neck reset, but it still carries a tune like no guitar I've ever owned.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My first Guild guitar. The Redhead had this under the Christmas tree for me 3 years ago.
I think she paid 300 or 350 from the local paper here in Olympia. Inspired me to play hours every day & made me into the guitar picker I am today.

Still a quite humble guitar picker but multiples better than BG (Before Guild)

[img:338:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/peb6fa5e565dda50abe8469829e1697a9/ee0e10ee.jpg[/img] [img:338:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/pa0235d2a8d1df7d8481bc03fadf5c4b0/ee0e10aa.jpg[/img]

john_kidder

Reaction score
My first Guild happened the morning after the first night I spent with the woman who has been my wife for 26 years now. Synchronicity again, and always. Siri and I had been friends for a year or so - we met hard on the heels of broken affairs for each of us, and we shared a heartfelt belief that love caused nothing but pain, and that neither of us was looking for more of that. We hung out, read, went to parties where we provided a kind of cover date each for the other.

Then the inevitable happened. And when I left Siri's apartment the next morning, I kicked over a free community newspaper lying on the front steps. The Vancouver Herald, now long gone. On the back page of the paper I saw an ad - "Old guitar, straight neck, $200". Feeling good as I was, I phoned the number, and found that the seller was about 5 blocks away. I walked over, had a cup of coffee, and bought:

[IMG:1149:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/john_kidder/1957%20Guild%20M-20/M-20_full_front.jpg[/img]
1957 M-20 (photos here)

A few years ago, I was trying to track down just what this nifty little guitar was, when it was built, etc. I ended up in touch with Hans Moust, who was (of course) his consistently gentlemanly self, freely spending time and sharing information. He started me on the arcane stuff about labels from different Guild periods, connections to other resources, etc. And I was hooked from then on. How could I not be?

guildzilla

Reaction score
Great stories. I can't match those for heart and romance but here goes.

It was the spring of 1987 and I had been looking for a better guitar for a few months. I had begun playing with a group of guys who had much louder instruments - an Ovation, a Mossman, etc. - that made my Yamaha folk guitar sound overmatched.

We were making homegrown records and having a lot of fun. Called ourselves Boaz and the Harmoniums (see Vonnegut novel SIRENS OF TITAN) but more as a Friday night jam club thing, not a real band. Boaz had been jamming for about a year and goes on to this day, albeit in an evolved and mutated form. I was married but no kids yet. We played at my house because my wife was the only one who tolerated the noisy intrusions. I was also having a real good spring selling new homes and felt I deserved a reward.

I was close to buying an Alvarez Yairi DY-62. But some odd hesitation had stopped me from pulling the trigger.

Anyhow, I walked into Sweetwater Music (now out of business, unfortunately) in Columbus. My eyes immediately were drawn to a very seductive looking maple Guild F-44. I felt an amazing sudden attraction, even before I touched the guitar.

I brought my wife, Norma, back to the store the next day because I was jumping about $400 above the agreed-upon price range. She thought it was gorgeous and said okay. Bought it for about $1,175 and took it home.

I've never owned anything else that felt so totally and permanently mine as this guitar has felt. Have an old Schwinn LeTour 10-speed that I also feel very warm and fuzzy about, but not really close to this connection.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
1967 -- when I graduated from High School. I have to admit, at first I wanted a rosewood Martin, but they were way too expensive. As it was, I paid for half of my own graduation present.

Chicago had a huge concentration of music stores downtown on Wabash Avenue, and every one had a guitar room. It was during the folk music boom so there were plenty to choose from. My trade-in was an Epiphone Texan with a sunburst finish. It had a fat neck, and an o.k. sound. I paid about $75 for it and thanks to Paul McCartney they now sell for up to three grand -- such is life. After trying a bunch of guitars I was really intrigued by the softer sound of a pearwood Guild D-44. I was doing a lot of accompanyment at the time, and it really suited my finger picking style while still having enough presence for bluegrass and driving rhythms. The guitar really had character compared to most of the others, so I spent the extra few bucks and took her home. I couldn't afford a new case, so the dealer threw in an old brown, beatup Gibson case.

I still have the D-44, she's aged beautifully. And I still have the case -- which in its vintage state now sells for more on eBay than I paid for the Guitar!

[IMG:213:320]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/california91207/T5-S%20Cocobolo/D-44.jpg[/img] [IMG:640:640]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/california91207/T5-S%20Cocobolo/collage1.jpg[/img]

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Actually My first REAL USA Guild I just acquired; My D55 Tacoma.

I've had My DeArmond Guild for a while, and that's the last guitar I would ever give up!

I've played a few Guilds over the last 40 years, and I always thought (when I was young) that I'd never be able to afford a Guild guitar. I've lusted them for decades!

Well, times change, people change, and the Good Lord Blesses!

I'm just thrilled that Fender kept Guild alive and kicking.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well, it's a long story, but in the 70's I was lost, acoustically speaking, at the end of my road........................then.................................."Guildman" to the rescue. No sidekick though.

Actually, in high school I played an Ovation, I thought the sound that came out of that thing was unique, and it was.......uniquely bad. The guy that pretty much taught me what little I know had an Epiphone, then one day he got a new one.

James' dad was a music teacher and obviously knew what he was doing when he bought him a Guild D40 in '78 or so. One day I went over to his house and played. I was in complete awe of the Guild.

Within about a year, I went to the local music store and there she was............my D25. I could not put her down. Finally the owner came over and told me to take her home. I told him I couldn't afford it and he asked how much money I had? $200. He told me to take her home and pay him when I got the chance...............my, how times have changed. I payed him the rest within a couple of months. That D25 still amazes me with her sound. I'll never part with that guitar. It was the beginning of a 27 year love affair.

Through the years, I've played several other brand name guitars, and even though we've beaten this one to death, I sincerely have never played an acoustic that compared to Guild.

West

Mark WW

Reaction score
I had quit playing guitar for about 16 years.

My son turned 9 and I remembered the "good times" I had playing in bands for 10 years. So I decided that I should share that with him. I always wanted a Guild so I bought a "True American" A/E. Not a great guitar to start out on. I bought him a telecaster and I dumped the Guild and started the search for "the Guitar". I have always held Guild guitars in high esteem and own several. I will probably buy another.

Oh, my son has been playing for 7 years now, and he is just as bad as I was/am. :roll:

Mark

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That's ok Mark, I think no matter how many Guilds we have, we can be equally bad. :wink:

West

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Shortly after I'd located an amazing fingerstyle teacher, he pointed out that the Hondo guitar I was bringing to my lessons would soon be a detriment to my learning. He then placed a Guild in my lap and I was amazed that there could be such a difference in the feel and sound of two instruments that share the same name. My teacher advised me to check out the Guild listings on ebay and he even spotted the first Guild that I bought. Do I owe him big time? Yea, I really do.

Having the good fortune to acquire several exceptional guitars has made the time spent learning and practicing a real pleasure.

john_kidder

Reaction score
No kidding, those are fine fine guitars. Of course, the Loon has promised to give me the GF-50-12 just as soon as he's bored with it. That'll probably be any day now.

scott

Reaction score
first guild

Hi, I have been lurking for several months and have really enjoyed the forum. This is my first post and I am a little nervous. I was reading the first guild stories and mine is so similar to many that I had to relate mine,too. I also had a difficult breakup and to drown my sorrow I went out and searched for a good acoustic. I was also told that a Martin was the best acoustic so not knowing any better that was my mind -set. I was aware that JD played a guild as I noticed it on the Poems, Prayers and Promises album cover. I played a guild D-44M and it blew the Martins away and I became a true believer. That was in 1973. Now all these years and 11 guilds later I still feel the same way. I really enjoy browsing through the posts and I hope I can be an asset to the forum. Thanks Shotput

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Scott,

I certainly don't know why you'd be shy about posting here. If you've got 11 Guilds, I want to hear about 'em.

Good to have you here,
West

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Hi Shotput / Scott,

Welcome to the forum! I too am anxious to hear stories about any of the 11 Guilds you've had through the years. What has been your favorite of the bunch and do you have a preference for rosewood or maple? Who are the guitarists you most admire?

West R Lee - the three I own are indeed "dandies" and thanks for coming up with their new group name.

John - as the most ardent and vocal supporter of the GF line I agree that you should have first shot at the GF-50 12 should boredom (or more likely insanity) overcome me. Likewise if for some reason your GF-60 gets lonesome, know that it'll always be welcome to visit it's siblings here in Salt Lake. I've seen the pictures you posted previously and that guitar is a work of art. Not to mention your descriptions of how wonderful it sounds...

Gruhn Loon

john_kidder

Reaction score
Gruhn Loon said:
you should have first shot at the GF-50 12 should boredom (or more likely insanity) overcome me.

At the risk of delaying for ever any chance I have at that guitar, let me wish that it's boredom rather than insanity that overcomes you - we're all a bit "teched" here (or so at least says my long-suffering and astonishingly supportive partner and wife), but there's no need to go overboard. Let's keep what's left of our sanity - we'll find it helpful as things proceed.

But go ahead and get bored, should you wish. Then I'll be delighted to help.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gruhn,

"The Dandies" ha? :lol: Yes, they are I'm sure, post pictures sometime, I'd love to see them. Is the RC a cutaway or carved heel?

West