Blonde Aristocrat

SugarMountain

Reaction score
how hard are these to get hold of?, Id really love one, but ive never seen on in the UK, in any stores or Ebay

im a big fan of the Les Paul Gold tops with the P90s, but they are way out my price range. the Guild seems like the obvious alternative and will perhaps achieve a similar tone

id like one just like this http://www.lucchesivintageinstruments.c ... _width=300

if anyone has one they wanna get rid of loL!

dklsplace

Reaction score
That particular one was a refin, & may have been a burst to start. I called on it & it was gone already. :cry:

Maybe an LP alternative with regard to looks, but being fully hollow with the Franz single coils makes it a different beast as far as I'm concerned.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi SugarMountain,

For an Guild Aristocrat like the one you showed in the picture you will need to spend at least $3000. However, an Aristocrat is a completely different guitar and shares little similarity with a Les Paul. Even the pickup on the Guild is very different in design from that of a Gibson P90.

I recommend to check out http://www.gbase.com as a possible source of an Aristocrat. I beleive Vintagemaster (Switzerland) may be listing one.

matsickma

SugarMountain

Reaction score
woah!, if its gonna cost $3000...may aswell just buy an LP hehe
are you sure they are hollow??, i thought the Aristocrats were solid

dklsplace

Reaction score
SugarMountain said:
are you sure they are hollow??, i thought the Aristocrats were solid

Yep. It was early 70's that they started with the solid & chambered M75's. I have a '71 Bluesbird that is fully hollow & it's an amazing piece of work! Mine is all maple, but I would love to have a mahogany/spruce version as well.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Don,

I know what you mean. I have a 1972 Sunburst hollowbody Bluesbird. I love it! It is one of my favorites. Unfortunatly it has a tremendous amount of finish checking but its a keeper. I swapped the stock Guild PUPs out for a set of Dimarizio from a semi-solid M75 I owned years ago. I give the edge to the Dimarizo's but the Guilds sounded decent. One thing I notice about the Hollowbody M75 is that it has a significantly lower frequency response when compared to more solid body or semihollow body guitars.

I considered buying a 1968 Bluesbird before I picked up my '72 (own it about 4 years now). I found the mini humbuckers made the guitar a little thin sounding-it's all up to an individuals taste. However one thing I noticed about the '68 is that the neck and how it attaches to the body is more like an Aristocrat. In fact if I remember correctly a late model M75 will not fit in the case of the earlier model.

I like the change Guild made to the neck and placement relative to the body on the 1972 model. IMHO the later year design of the hollowbody M75 Bluesbird was the best of them all.

matsickma

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
matsickma said:
I considered buying a 1968 Bluesbird before I picked up my '72 (own it about 4 years now). I found the mini humbuckers made the guitar a little thin sounding-it's all up to an individuals taste. However one thing I noticed about the '68 is that the neck and how it attaches to the body is more like an Aristocrat. In fact if I remember correctly a late model M75 will not fit in the case of the earlier model.

I like the change Guild made to the neck and placement relative to the body on the 1972 model. IMHO the later year design of the hollowbody M75 Bluesbird was the best of them all.

matsickma

Hi everybody,

I've taken the liberty of continuing this thread in the Archtop/Hollowbody section, which is where it should be.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've taken the liberty of continuing this thread in the Archtop/Hollowbody section, which is where it should be.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

This was one of those iffy category identifiers I had considered when setting the forum up. M75's on both sides of the fence (solid/chambered & hollow). Perhaps archtop +/- f hole description would help?