Archtop Scale & Neck Question...

stlpikn

Reaction score
I bought my first Guild about 6 or 7 months ago so I'm really not familiar with any of the models other than the one I have. I was wondering if any of you knowledgable folks could fill me in on the evolution of the Guild archtop's scale lengths and neck profile?

The Guild I have is an X-500 from 1982 I believe. The scale length on this guitar is 24.75 inches and the neck is a bit on the slim side of what I consider ideal for me. I prefer a 25.50 inch scale and a neck profile such as was standard for the older Gibson and Epiphone's of the post-war '40s and thru the '50s.

So my qustions are, did some of the earlier Guild's have the fuller neck profile and a 25.50 scale length?.......If so, which models and what years were they being made?......Would appreciate any help you can give me on this. Thanks.

Jim

yettoblaster

Reaction score
In archtops now, the X-700 and Artist Award are 25.5" and the laminated jobs like my X-150 seem to be 24.75".
My Savoy from FMIC has a clubbier neck than in the past. It's sort of like one of those Historic Les Pauls.

stlpikn

Reaction score
John & yettoblaster,

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

Actually, the scale length is'nt my main concern. I don't really have a problem adjusting to the shorter scale but, I do prefer the longer scale.

The thin neck is a much bigger concern and I would like to find a nice full bodied Guild archtop with a neck profile similar to what I have described but, I'm just not sure what years and model numbers I should be looking for.

Jim

doc

Reaction score
Say

I would like to ask a question. Does the longer scale length mean that the frets are top to bottom taller? Is there any other implications such as the physics of the length and the intonation. Just curious about this scale length as I have seen others refer at various times.

stlpikn

Reaction score
Hi Doc,

Scale length means the distance from the nut to the bridge. In this case we're talking only a total of an extra 3/4" spread out over the entire string length. It don't sound like much and really is'nt but, it does make a difference when switching back and forth between guitars with different scale lengths. For me it means I have to really concentrate on what I'm doing until I get my muscle memory reset. Come to think of it, having to concentrate might be a pretty good thing for me to do. :D

I guess I just don't want to change the things I've gotten used to after all these years. 'Golden years' thing you know. :D

Jim

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Shorter scalelength guitars like Gibson Les Pauls and ES-335's, et al, have a different feel to them than longer, like Fenders.
The extra tension in the longer scalelength (to get the same pitch) can make strings feel more responsive. "Tighter" feeling.
Intonation is an independent issue, but I do find it easier to tune up longer scale guitars.

teleharmonium

Reaction score
stlpikn, the earlier Guilds did have chunkier neck profiles. I'm not sure when they changed over, but as I own Guilds from 1960 and 1966, it appears to have been in between those years. The headstock change was in 62 ? so it could have coincided with that. I expect Hans or another more knowledgeable person may be able to offer a specific time frame.

The earlier ones that I have played (and the one I own) have a nice shape, but perhaps not quite as fat as some Gibsons I have played from the 50s. They seem the same as 50s Epiphones as far as I can tell, which makes sense given the lineage of Guild. They're also quite similar to the profile of a modern Rickenbacker 330, which are chunkier than you might guess if you aren't familiar with them.

Reaction score
neck profile

Hallo Jim

I have a 1958 Guild T100D and I used to have a 64 T100. The 58 also has a slim neck profile so I guess not al the Guilds from the 50s have a wider/ fuller neck profile. I think two common sizes are 1 5/8 inch at the nut (about 41 mm) en 1 11/16 (about 43 mm). My 64 T100 had the wider 1 11/16 inch neck. I don't know if the different profiles were used in different years or at the same time. I also find the neck on my 58 a little narrow but I do like the shape and feel of it. Maybe somebody else has some answers?

Niek

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Jim,

Teleharmonium is right about the transition years. I have a '59 T-100 with a noticeably thicker neck. The profile feels very slightly less chunky than a 50s Gibson neck. I had a '64 CE-100 and currently have a '68 CE-100 with much slimmer necks. I was curious about this too, and a very experienced luthier as well as Jay Pilzer, the Guild guy, told me that this was a common trend with many manufacturers during this period.

I personally like the slimmer necks better, so much to the point that I think I'm gonna sell my '59 and pick up an early 60s. Everyone else prolly thinks I'm nuts 'cuz it has the amazing Franz PUs, and it's in pristine shape. But, I feel nervous just opening the case. I think I need a beat up old player, not a museum piece.

; )

stlpikn

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you that posted on this thread. There seems to be some good info here and it gives me a general idea of what years to be looking for. If and when I come up with something I'll try to post some pics. Thanks again.

Jim