Swollen Knuckles

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Went to bed last night and noticed major stiffness in the left hand throughout the knuckles.

This AM, I could barely use My left hand for anything. After some major non-steroidal anti-inflams, it's a bit better now. Went for a bicycle ride this afternoon, and took the MC out for a spin around the block too.

Trying to play the guitar is another story! I can only do a few simple chords, very little that I can play at this time. It almost seems as if I sprained the knuckles, with all of the stiffness and swelling.

Hope this goes away in a day or 2 cause I will go berzerk not being able to do some fingering on the strings! Just My luck! A new D55, and I can barely play it!
:roll: :x

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I sure hope that is a transient condition.

Murphy's laws are always lurking. I expect that as soon as I get my act together and start playing in public, arthritis will probably eat my hands!!
:(

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Same here P. I keep telling folks that when I retire in about 5 years, I'm finally going to take lessons. Unfortunately, I'll be lucky to still be able to use my fingers.

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I don't have it yet West.

I have sent a couple of emails to the seller about a couple of different things, and no reply yet. :(

I'll give him another day or two to respond, then I'll light the flame.

I was hoping to have it this week as the next two weeks will bring shipping and receiving headaches I'm sure.

How's the new 55 West?

Graham

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm telling you the honest truth. I've never heard sustain like this. Action is just a tad high for me, probably perfect for most.

When I first got her, I was changing strings. I was back in my wife's office while she was on the computer. I had the D55 laying on the bed in her office, and accidentally bumped a newly installed string. I just went over and sat down. After I said "listen", my wife stopped her computer work while we listened to her ring for what seemed like 2 minutes...probably more like 45 seconds. Regardless, unbelievable sustain.

Still trying to decide how to fix the dent. I've learned to live with it for now. Gibson sells a nitrocellulose touch up pen in many colors, or I might have it professionally done...we'll see.

BTW Graham, have you not read the rules on posting a footer. You are NOT allowed to put D25 in your footer until you officially have her in hand. Violators are prosecuted!

Thanks for asking. :lol:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Na, I've got some crummy ones. My old digital camera has like 1 maxi piggies. It won't take a close up with any resolution. I need to borrow or buy one with more maxi piggies, and get some shots to Smith. He said he knows a man who would like to see them and can probably do a number on her.

West

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Hand is better today. Not totally better, but a little better!

Graham, You can have the guitar when they pry it from My cold, dead, fingers!

And I'll have such a clutch on it, that only the Almighty will be able to put the bag on it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

john_kidder

Reaction score
Glad to hear that the fingers are feeling better.

I got blasted off my bicycle l13 months ago by a gentleman coming though a red light at speed - aside from losing what's left of my once-relatively-quick brain, I hyper-extended all the knuckle joints on my right hand. They're still swollen and stiff, physio does little, and I'm a slower picker (by far) than I was before.

Our fingers are what make these music machines useful - regardless of fine woods, elegant design and great construction, it still takes fingers to make music out of it all. I'm very happy to hear that yours look like working for you again.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
About two years ago I was hiking with Melvin the dog when he got into an altercation with a horse. The horse kicked at the dog, and the rider started trotting off as if nothing had happened (don't even get me started!!!!!) a couple of people who saw the whole thing yelled at her to stop, she came back, we determined the pooch was o.k. and she left in a hurry.

Just one problem though, after she trotted off I realized that the index finger on my right hand was just kind of hanging. I had the leash wrapped around my hand when the whole thing happened, and all the tugging ripped the knuckle cartelage and a ligament in the finger.

The reason for telling this story is because its what got me here. After about 6 months, I needed some form of therapy to try and get the finger back in shape (its still at only about 75%) and I figured finger picking was the answer. The doc thought that was very clever, and it seems to be working. The next great challenge is flat picking. I have very little feeling in the tip of the finger and holding one of those little buggers, let alone making it go where I want it to go is a bitch! Oh well, as Ian and Sylvia would say, "Some Day Soon."