1966 Satrfire III

Roger49

Reaction score
I love this forum. Thanks to all who contribute!

I have a Starfire III that the serial number from the Guild webpage indicates was made during 1966. I've read that Humbucker pickups were standard by this date but my guitar has DeArmond pickups( at least I thought so). The pickups are chrome with white faces and adjustment screws for each pole.

Any light shed on this would be appreciated. The serial number is EK736.

Reaction score
DeArmonds continued to be available after they switched over to humbuckers c. '63. Guild usually indicated this on the label by calling it a "Starfire III Special" -- though Guild's labels are very idiosyncratic, and yours might not have been labeled that way.

Cool guitar!

doc

Reaction score
Roger

I have a Starfire Special and it has the white faced single coils on it. They have the screw for each pole. The screws are slightly more together then the poles so they looked as if they are in groups of twos rather then being evenly spread apart. I took the picture of my T-400 because I have the Special in a case and they both have the same DeA pickups on them. Does anyone know if this is a 2k or 2000?

Here is the link to see them:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 90d99f.jpg

Here is the link to see my T:400:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 90d999.jpg

teleharmonium

Reaction score
Roger, an original Starfire Special with DeArmonds is much less common than the humbucker version, and tends to be more sought after by afficianados like us. If you'd rather have humbuckers, let me know ! It can be arranged ! I have a Starfire Special from the same year (with a neck repair); on the handwritten label after the model name is something like "Spc" or "Spec" (it's a little hard to read). Yours probably has that too.

Doc, the pickups in your T-400 would be 2Ks, similar in appearance on top to the old ones but different under the hood. They're not bad pickups though.

Roger49

Reaction score
Starfire III

Thank you so much. I thought I was misinterptreting thiings I had read. Now, I know and I love this forum that much more.

By the way, through this forum. I was introduced to Eva Cassidy and few singers have touched my heart as does this woman. It is such a shame that she is no longer with us.